The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by buksida »

Same as any Android device, just go into the settings and change the wifi details to the new router.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've done that. The message on the TV screen says it's all been done, then I get the error message on the phone.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Then do the same on the phone?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I restored the device to factory settings and went through the whole setup process. The message on the TV screen clearly states setup is good, and it is connecting to the Wi-Fi network. However, I keep getting the same result on the phone, it is not being recognised by the Wi-Fi router.

Points 41; Position 18
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 pm I restored the device to factory settings and went through the whole setup process. The message on the TV screen clearly states setup is good, and it is connecting to the Wi-Fi network. However, I keep getting the same result on the phone, it is not being recognised by the Wi-Fi router.
Based on my experience with Chromecast dongles, I think one thing to check is to make sure both your Chromecast and the router are on the same frequency band (either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, depending which model Chromecast you have).

If that doesn't work, the error message in your previous post may be pointing you in the direction of a potential fix:

"ensure AP isolation is disabled on your Wi-Fi router."

If you have the admin password for your router (and if not, they should give it to you if you ask) you should be able go into the router settings and disable AP isolation (assuming your router has a setting related to that - not all do).

I can't remember for sure but I think I had the same error message about AP isolation one time with one of my Chromecast devices and it turned out the problem was actually the frequency band.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I went into AIS this morning ready for a fight, but they were really helpful. They sat me down, and listened to my problem. The girl went away, and a few minutes later came back with a Connecting Chromecast Manual for Dummies - unfortunately written in Thai.

They got me to go through my setup step by step, and they checked the manual - I have been doing everything correctly. They told me that the part most fall down on is reset to factory settings, which I'd worked out very early on.

She said it sounded like a problem with the Wi-Fi Router, and will get an engineer out to the house.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

.............................../ and it works :D

Points 41; Position 18
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Big Boy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm .............................../ and it works :D
Did they say (or do you know) what they did to fix it? Was it the frequency band, Wi-Fi channel, AP isolation - or something else entirely?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've no idea what they did. They had me take it into the shop. I was there for 2 frustrating hours during which time I actually told them to uninstall the system because it was sh*te.

They took it behind closed doors for the first 30 minutes, brought it out, and proudly announced the Chromecast worked. Duh, I knew that, it used to be brilliant on the True network. I told them that all they had done was prove there was something wrong with their box at my home.

Then it was plan B - 3 different went up a ladder (the one in the short was worthwhile :oops: ). What they did, I have no idea, because my Chromecast was sat behind the counter, disconnected. They had an attitude that they couldn't be wrong.

Again, they announced everything was fine, and I had to go home to try it. At this point I totally lost it, and they sat me down with a coffee to calm me down.

Anyway, to cut a 2 hour story short, they pledged to send an engineer (for the 5th time).

I went home, and tried to connect anyway - it worked with one installation. What they were doing up the ladder in the shop has totally bewildered me, but it obviously worked. A happy bunny now.

Points 41; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Install Chrome on an Android box

Post by Pagey »

I was running a programme on Chrome on my Minix set top box that gave a message saying Chrome needed updating. When I tried to install from Google play I got a message saying app already installed so I uninstalled Chrome (big mistake) and tried to re install it to no avail. I've Googled how to install it and tried from my laptop to install on the Minix box. I get the message Chrome will be installed on your device soon although no message to say it has been installed. The instructions then say you should find it on your lean back launcher on your Android box. What or where is lean back launcher or how can I install Chrome?
I also have Browser and Firefox on the Minix box which also need updating........
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

If Google Play won't install it, you could try a 3rd party installer like Aptoide - their site is easy to find using Google Search. It's not guaranteed to work but it's worth trying. Otherwise you can search for the Google Chrome .apk file - again it's available on a number of different sites.

I don't know what a 'lean back launcher' is so I can't help you there.

Edit: Just looked it up; 'leanback launcher' is the former name for the Android TV launcher so I'm not sure how it would help you to install Chrome.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks GHW, I will try when I get back. I was following these instructions to install chrome on an android device.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-c ... ndroid-tv/

Man in pub circa 1987.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

.apk files can contain viruses, so you need to go to a safe 3rd party website (nothing is 100 percent safe but there are degrees of safety).

The safest I know of is apkpure.com. They checksum match the MD5 hash of app files with the hash of the file in Google Store/Play, and that's not foolproof but close.

https://apkpure.com/faq-safe.html

And as far as installing possibly modded .apk files on a device that you use for mobile banking or similar, I just say DON'T. :)
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks Guys, that was easy in the end, copied the APK file from 404CJ's website to a USB stick from laptop then plugged the USB into the set top box and ES File Explorer did the rest. :bow: :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Google Chrome & Windows 7

Post by LolaBeltran »

Love my Google Chrome . .which worked just fine until last week. Now nothing we do to get it working again has been successful.
1. System restore a dozen times.
2. Reinstall all failed.
3. Downloaded and followed the detailed instructions for "Chrome fix" from "open file, delete shortcut, open property, security tab, user name, new name etc etc. . .no luck. We went this route two or three times.
4. Seems to still work on my android and on a friends computer so the fault is in my computer

We have been at this for hours and hours. . .at wits end here. . .stuck with IE which is certainly one of the levels of Hell!

Help!!

At very least can anyone recommend a fast, helpful computer service in HH that could fix this for us.
Thanks