Thai SIM with internet?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Juice81

Thai SIM with internet?

Post by Juice81 »

Where can you get them and how costly are they? Our condo where we are going to stay next spring has wi-fi only in the front lobby and it's really slow. Could I maybe buy a somekind of Pre-paid SIM with internet to my iPhone6? Is the internet access usually limited to something? Thanks!
Big Boy

Re: Thai SIM with internet?

Post by Big Boy »

When you get here, go to a Telewiz store with your phone and passport - they will get you sorted. I use the Telrwiz in market Village, but there may be a small one in the Tesco that you're building up courage to go to - I'm sure somebody will be able to confirm.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Go to any of the phone company desks in the airport when you arrive. They can set you up quickly. Quite often True and DTAC hand out free sims that can be used for internet access. Usually get some free credit as well.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Can they still do that with the strict new registration rules?

Surely, either illegal, or a hell of a lot of work.

Points 48; Position 20
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Go to Telewiz (AIS) and ask for the 299, 399 or whatever internet package you want. They'll explain the difference to you so don't worry. These packages give you unlimited internet access for a month at a time.

If you will be using your phone for calls as well while you're here, put it extra credit for that. if your calls result in your internet payment dropping below the required amount, you lose access. In other words, if you take the 399 baht internet package, you will have unlimited internet for one month providing your credit doesn't drop below 399 baht. Hope that makes sense.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy wrote:Can they still do that with the strict new registration rules?

Surely, either illegal, or a hell of a lot of work.
Still legal but you will need to have your passport with you because the cards have to be registered to your name.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Seems a lot of hassle for passengers getting of an umpteen hour flight, and it will take several minutes to register each freebie given away.

Still I guess labour is cheap in Thailand.

I'd still go to Telewiz to get it done properly.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You can get internet on all Thai sim cards. My daughters use it all the time. There's a number you dial and you purchase time by the day or week. The cost is peanuts. I'll come back after I ask my daughter what the service is.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If you are 1 to Call, dial *777*731# then press 'call' You will then get a message saying it's activated.

The cost is 69 Bt for unlimited 7 day access.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote:Seems a lot of hassle for passengers getting of an umpteen hour flight, and it will take several minutes to register each freebie given away.

How is going to Telewiz getting it done any more 'properly' than getting it done at an official reseller booth at the airport? :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The cards I've seen handed out have been by dolly birds. I doubt they'd care about what you actually want. However, if you've had a better experience, I bow to your superior knowledge :bow:

Points 48; Position 20
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

what you are paying for with AIS is the AMOUNT of data per month at HIGH SPEED. So if you pay for (as a example) 10 gigs of data and use it up your speed drops but you still have "unlimted" access for one month.

so "up to you" to know how much data you need. they have packages starting super cheap.

make sure you switch roam off on you iPhone.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:Seems a lot of hassle for passengers getting of an umpteen hour flight, and it will take several minutes to register each freebie given away.

The True counter at the airport has various packages for tourists giving different deals, it's very popular and there is nearly always a queue, mainly of those kind of younger Asians who look like they're going to die if they don't get back onto Facebook in ten minutes. They register and activate the sim in the same way as any phone shop in Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You use the airport a lot more than me Steve, so i don't doubt you. The ones I've seen are dolly birds wandering around trying to get you take their SIM - if that still happens, I'd advise caution. Proper offices (I never look, so I haven't noticed) should be fine.

Regarding True, they don't have the same coverage as AIS. Probably OK for touristy areas, but Mrs BB uses True, and she was like somebody who'd had her arm cut off during a recent trip to deepest Isaan.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Regarding True, they don't have the same coverage as AIS. Probably OK for touristy areas, but Mrs BB uses True, and she was like somebody who'd had her arm cut off during a recent trip to deepest Isaan.
There is an AIS counter as well in the same area, alongside the windows of the public side of the arrivals area about half way down and I see they do similar deals for visitors:
http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/visiting/s ... er-en.aspx