Transferring DVD/Blueray

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
pharvey

Transferring DVD/Blueray

Post by pharvey »

I've had a look on the net and there seems to be a multitude of recommended programs, but from the ones I've looked at I either don't understand how to use ( :oops: ) or they're full of viruses....

Can anyone advise on a (hopefully) free bit of software where I can copy files from a DVD/Blue-ray disc to a PC? Not trying to start a business in copying discs, simply want to copy a couple of my old man's sport DVD's to a USB Stick so he can watch. Unfortunately his DVD Player is not working as my nephew decided to try and insert a piece of toast..... :banghead: :roll:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Transferring DVD/Blueray

Post by Pleng »

If they're not obscure titles, it might be easier to simply re-download them via torrent than convert them.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Pleng wrote:If they're not obscure titles, it might be easier to simply re-download them via torrent than convert them.
Thanks Pleng - unfortunately that's the very problem - virtually all are "oldies" and as yet I've only found a couple online which unfortunately are very poor quality and unwatchable on a TV screen. My Old Man is a member of the "B*ll*cks To Technology Club" and wouldn't know how to turn a computer/laptop on, let alone watch a video.....

The idea would be to put to a memory stick and then plug into the TV - I can set that up to automatically go to a menu for him to select the "show".... hopefully he can manage that!! :roll: :D I'm trying to get this sorted for Father's Day next weekend, so if anyone has any ideas/advice it would be greatly appreciated!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There are plenty converters out there. I like Xmedia Recode. Freemake Video Converter is also pretty decent. Both have presets so that you can specify the device the videos will be used with, or specify own settings. If the DVDs are copy protected it's not so easy though. Cheers.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Many thanks for that hh - I'll take a look. Pretty much sure they'll be copyright protected, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Your best bet is 'Handbrake', it's from a French open source group who believe in the freedoms their country was founded on and don't mind being controversial. Because of this you can usually get past most of the copy protection (hence the controversy!), especially from early DVDs. Handbrake works on PC or Mac, is free to download from http://www.handbrake.fr and includes some handy presets from which you can rip DVDs to a multitude of formats.

You mention Blu-Ray as well but this is a different scenario since unless you have a Blu-Ray drive accessible by your computer, you won't be able to rip them. I'd get familiar with Handbrake first and see where you go from there - bon chance!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Thanks for that J.J.B. - will certainly take a look :thumb:

Blu-Ray is not an issue - not too sure why I even mentioned it! :oops: