The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Post by J.J.B. »

So we can agree that their prices are high and also that they create demand that fuels their growth. Presumably it's because their products are good or at least that is what they encourage consumers to believe. Let's not rehash the 'Apple vs. the rest' debate and whether people are being hood-winked by clever marketing, insecurity, voodoo, etc.

They can't repatriate the cash due to unfavourable tax treatment at home and so the pile keeps growing. Trump is making noises about tax reform so perhaps they will be able to free-up their massive war chest. The really interesting question is what they would do with the money.

The boring options would be share buy-backs and the like but they could also take a Trumpositive stance and invest in US manufacturing and infrastructure. Or they buy another company.

$250Bn isn't chump-change: who should they buy and why?
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

J.J.B. wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 pmPresumably it's because their products are good or at least that is what they encourage consumers to believe.
Or because some apple customers have no idea how much profit apple makes off them.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Homer wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:57 pm
J.J.B. wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 pmPresumably it's because their products are good or at least that is what they encourage consumers to believe.
Or because some apple customers have no idea how much profit apple makes off them.
It's not just Apple - a Samsung S8 is almost the same price as an iPhone 7 so all the big manufacturers are taking their customers for the same ride, you just have to choose which one is more comfortable!!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Here is a difficult one for you Apple gurus!!!

I won an Ipod Shuffle 2Gb a few years back, and I just discovered it in a drawer. Now I feel this is just the right size to use during workouts, but here is the problem.

I do not have an Apple ID. I do not have iTunes. This iPod Shuffle has never been switched on until today. I connected it to my Windows 10 computer, and I was able to transfer music files using another 3rd. party software I have, but it will not work. When I checked online it seems like Apple are forcing customers to connect it to iTunes at least for the first time, to accept some Eulas and setup an Apple ID.

So here is my question. How can I start using this Shuffle without having to download and install iTunes, and to set up an Apple ID? If anyone here knows how to do this I will gladly buy you a beer or three! Just remeber I'm not asking how to transfer music without iTunes, but how to set it up for first time use without using iTunes or having an Apple ID.
YNWA
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

You'll have considered these, I'm sure, but one way would be to use someone else's ID and computer with iTunes on to have the thing initialise, then you could use your 3rd party software to do as you wish. Alternatively use a disposable email address just for this purpose and download iTunes. After initialisation, scrub both. I'm not sure there's any other way.

I don't think you'll find a quick or easy way around the initialisation requirement, especially to agree EULAs and the like.
Wilde
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Would become garbage very quickly then. To install iTunes just for this reason is not an option. I have been told that it is nearly impossible to get rid of everything related to iTunes doing uninstall. I do not know anyone with a computer and iTunes , since most new iThings can be used without that terribly bloatware of a media organiser which iTunes is imho.
YNWA
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Huahin4ever, I have sent you a PM about this.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Felipesed1 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:30 am Huahin4ever, I have sent you a PM about this.
Reply/Apple rant sent 😎
YNWA
binlid
Amateur
Amateur

Post by binlid »

Needing some help folks. My MacBook Air has just died. I have tried many suggestions found online but nothing is helping. When powering up the screen stays blank and the fan runs continuously. Is there anyone/anywhere in the area other than the shop on the top floor of MV I can take it?
Appreciate any and all suggestions.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

^^ Can you provide more detail about the model and what you've tried already? My first recommendation would be to run the Apple hardware test, or Apple Diagnostics if your Mac is 2013 or newer. That will help to narrow down where the problem may be occurring. Resetting the PRAM and SMC may be another easy solution but without knowing what you have already tried it's difficult to say.
Wilde
binlid
Amateur
Amateur

Post by binlid »

J.J.B. wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 pm ^^ Can you provide more detail about the model and what you've tried already? My first recommendation would be to run the Apple hardware test, or Apple Diagnostics if your Mac is 2013 or newer. That will help to narrow down where the problem may be occurring. Resetting the PRAM and SMC may be another easy solution but without knowing what you have already tried it's difficult to say.
J.J.B., thanks for the response. Can't run diagnostics as the machine won't boot, begins to power up but nothing happens other than the fan running. Have tried starting in recovery mode, safe mode, verbose mode, have reset the SMC several times along with PRAM. Disconnected the battery and tried powering up only using the MagSafe but always the same result. Am at the point now thinking its data recovery (if poss) and a full OS reinstall. Am very surpris d, was a Windows user and had lots of problems before making the jump to Mac 10 yrs ago, this is the first issue I've had and it appears terminal :(

2014/2015 13" MacBook Air
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

That does sound very unfortunate and like some kind of hardware failure, possibly the fan. I have a Mac Mini that was running in our house in Hua Hin that I wasn't unable to do anything with once it started. Turns out it was a bad fan and a $10 replacement off eBay cured the problem. Yours could need opening up and cleaning if the exhaust fans are blocked as this will cause all manner of problems.

I would recommend taking it to the iCare place in MV who will be able to open it up and test a whole range of things. I'm pretty sure they only charge you if they get it working again and in the case of my Mac it was less than 1,000 THB. They should certainly be able to narrow down what might be causing the problem for you.
Wilde
binlid
Amateur
Amateur

Post by binlid »

Did actually take it initially to I Care but for a number of reasons decided I didn't want them to work on it, hence the request if there is anyone else in surrounding area. Only here for another few weeks before back to work so will get a technician to look at it then, fingers crossed!
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Mac person

Post by crazy88 »

Hi all

2 of my Macs are playing up. The iMac simply gives a code message for about half a second and turns off. It does not respond to any boot modes that I am familiar with.

The macbook intermittently restarts itself for no given reason that I can fathom.

I used to go to a guy on the railway line but he has moved to Bangkok.

I have trawled the help forums to no avail.

Is there anyone out there that may be able to help?

Crazy 88
buksida

Post by buksida »

I have acquired a Macbook Pro, have no interest in the thing myself so was going to give it to the kids or donate it somewhere.

It still has a lot of the previous owner’s data and software on it though so is there an easy way to format or factory reset it? I don’t need the hassle or expense of setting up Apple accounts or any of that crap, just want it cleaned up as easy as poss.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson