The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Re: The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Post by PeteC »

^ Me too exactly. :D I've never used one in a home environment which has been decades now. I tried a code on my cell phone but deleted it after thinking why waste time with extra steps. My daughter thinks it's neat....fingerprint ID, 4 digit ID and whatever else there is. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I've upgraded my old iPad 2 to an Air2 in the past few weeks and it's lightning fast by comparison and also comes with the fingerprint ID to ease opening, although when you start from switched off mode you have to enter your code first time. Similarly, the Company I am doing some short-term work for have given me an iPhone 7, which compared to the Chinese Android phone I previously had, is like moving from the Middle Ages to the 21st century in one move - first iPhone I have ever had, but a great piece of kit imo.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Thanks Pete

One of those I had not tried. The command r gave me the option to reinstall operating system which I am doing on the iMac . Did not take me the normal route.

Crazyy 88
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I wasn't aware of the password reset thing, I find it hard to believe it's that easy though - hopefully I'll never need it! I have a long history with Apple devices (I owned two Newtons!) and my first desktop was a Mac Classic with tiny, black and white screen.

The only real problem I've had of last was last week, with my Mac Mini in Hua Hin. It has been on pretty much non-stop for the last four years and acts as a media server and CCTV hub for the house. I jacked it to take a second internal hard drive for my iTunes library and swapped out the first HDD for a SSD. I could not get it to upgrade past 10.10, however. It would download the Yosemite and then Sierra OS but got part way through the install and then said it could not go any further.

This left me me with a partially installed operating system and I was stuck in a loop of installing it since the previous one had been over-written in the install. The iCare store in MV were able to get a fresh copy of 10.10 on it back in June but then the same thing happened when we were over last week. AHT was not even able to run when I left it on overnight so I think it was either the SSD the RAM or both that was beyond help. In the end I bought a new one and have the troublesome one back in Blighty now where I shall interrrogate it with more tools and a much faster internet connection.

I still run a couple of PCs but for video and photography work, Mac can't be beaten in my mind.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

The slow burning fuse of BREXIT is now affecting Apple Products in the UK

Brexit hikes price of all Apple’s Macs in the UK by up to 25%

More reasons to be miserable about the UK’s vote to leave the European Union: Apple has hiked the pound sterling price of Macs, old and new, by as much as 25 per cent to take account of currency fluctuations in the wake of the June referendum vote. Thanks #Brexit.

The company announced a clutch of new laptops at an event yesterday but appears to have used the occasion of introducing some new Mac hardware to reformulate UK pricing across its entire range of Macs, including existing models.

This means that Apple’s entry level Mac now costs £949 in the UK — a full £100 more expensive than just a few days ago. (The former entry level Mac laptop, an 11in MacBook Air, which was priced at £749, has been discontinued entirely.)

Full article

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/brexi ... -up-to-25/
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Bluesky wrote:The slow burning fuse of BREXIT is now affecting Apple Products in the UK

Brexit hikes price of all Apple’s Macs in the UK by up to 25%

More reasons to be miserable about the UK’s vote to leave the European Union: Apple has hiked the pound sterling price of Macs, old and new, by as much as 25 per cent to take account of currency fluctuations in the wake of the June referendum vote. Thanks #Brexit.

The company announced a clutch of new laptops at an event yesterday but appears to have used the occasion of introducing some new Mac hardware to reformulate UK pricing across its entire range of Macs, including existing models.

This means that Apple’s entry level Mac now costs £949 in the UK — a full £100 more expensive than just a few days ago. (The former entry level Mac laptop, an 11in MacBook Air, which was priced at £749, has been discontinued entirely.)

Full article

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/brexi ... -up-to-25/
Of course it is nothing to do with Apple wishing to increase their profit margin; or maybe the new products cost more to make?

Are you sure you don't want to blame Brexit for the heavy rain in Huahin this last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Thanks Pete

After a bit of mind bending Fking about your solution worked. Despite managing to change the keychain password it has reverted to the original?????????????????? Can access all my data now. A few beers owed. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Crazy 88
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Felipesed1 wrote:
Bluesky wrote: Are you sure you don't want to blame Brexit for the heavy rain in Huahin this last week?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a disinterested party to the internal politics of BREXIT I have merely passed on an observation and impact on the pricing structure of apple products in the UK. I do not recall apportioning any form of blame either way. For any forum reader considering an Apple product purchase in the UK in the future they may need to reconsider the impact of this increase with respect to their decision making process. :guns:
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ ^ Glad it all worked out well. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Apple has always had a very active pricing strategy to ensure their products match-up to the US dollar. Buy an Apple device at an authorised reseller in any country in the world and the chances are it won't be cheaper or much more expensive than the equivalent USD price. There is nothing evil about putting up the price of Macs etc. in the UK when the currency exchange rate changes so dramatically; it's called "business".

Apple, and other, products seem more expensive in the UK compared with the US as they include the 20% VAT charge upfront whereas US prices don't include sales tax in the same way.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If the £ suddenly recovered (yes, I know, very wishful thinking :wink: ) would the price in the UK drop again, or just wait for natural adjustment over time? By natural adjustment, I mean UK price staying static at each annual price rise until the differential has gone away. Apple have obviously been absorbing the hit for a few months.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote:If the £ suddenly recovered (yes, I know, very wishful thinking :wink: ) would the price in the UK drop again, or just wait for natural adjustment over time? By natural adjustment, I mean UK price staying static at each annual price rise until the differential has gone away. Apple have obviously been absorbing the hit for a few months.
With the collapse of commodity demand, Australia has gone through a similar situation to the UK with AUD/USD trading at 1.078 AUD to 1.00 USD in Feb 2012 to a low of .686 AUD to 1.00 USD in Jan 2016 which made a substantial difference on the cost of goods valued in USD (Including Apple) or other currencies which AUD had depreciated against. If interest rates rise or further hawkish comments are made at the next meeting of the Fed (FMOC) on 1-2 November there will be further strength in the USD which will put further presssure on USD denominated goods and services against the weaker currencies. Hopefully for pound it will find a floor sooner rather than later for those that have reliance on it.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

So I was tinkering with my iPhone and found that I can use it as a WiFi hotspot, I never knew I could do that with my iPhone.
It also free's up a USB port on my computer because I was using a USB dongle to connect to the internet. 8)
Last edited by Name Taken on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Yes. Settings > 5th item down = "personal hotspot"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

iPhone--keeping the stopwatch running

Post by oakdale160 »

Im obsessional I know. When I am out doing a run/walk, I like to time myself. I start the stopwatch om my iPhone5 but aftera few minutes it closes down . I enter thePword and it opens up, the stopwatch is running OK, but to have to do this when running is difficult. Is there a way to stop it closing down