The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Post by hhfarang »

There's and android thread but Iphone, Ipad, I-etc. are scattered among many threads so here's one thread to use to keep up with "I-news"...

"A completely redesigned iPhone may launch next year in addition to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus"

https://bgr.com/2015/06/04/4-inch-iphon ... ease-date/

Comment: It appears that phone manufacturers are now releasing new models annually like auto makers. Do people really buy a new phone every year... seems like the market would get saturated fairly quickly. I'm still happy with my Galaxy S II and my wife still seems to like her Iphone 4s.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Re: The I-things (Apple devices) thread

Post by pharvey »

Well there's always those who the absolute latest gadgets and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the vast majority of components are identical to those in previous models. The one thing that does concern me is reaching a point where software on older models is no longer supported and updated software cannot be downloaded - possibly rendering the device useless.

I also use a Galaxy SII and am more than happy with it - I'm certainly not interested in running out to purchase the latest $700 or $800 model for the sake of it.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Apple fans are generally rather obsessive, it is more of a psychological disorder than a genuine need for new hardware.

:duck: :duck: :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree. I have several friends who have to have the latest iPhone on release day. The new one is always so much better, but when you ask what this one does that they couldn't do with the previous model, rarely do they know :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have a 3.1/2 year old iPad 2 and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to celebrate its 10th anniversary, still in working order.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Apple’s $649 iPhone 6 Reportedly Costs $200 to Make
http://time.com/3426087/apple-iphone-6-cost/

"According to a teardown report from research firm IHS, the components and manufacturing cost of a 16GB iPhone 6 cost Apple $200.10. The device is selling for $649 in the U.S. without a contract with a wireless carrier. That gives the device a profit margin of about 69%. The iPhone 6 Plus, which costs $100 more than its smaller cousin, costs just $15.50 more for components and manufacutring, according to IHS. That’s a 71% margin."
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I have been told by someone that has an IPhone 6 that they cannot be unlocked from the contract carrier.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

hhfarang wrote: Comment: It appears that phone manufacturers are now releasing new models annually like auto makers. Do people really buy a new phone every year... seems like the market would get saturated fairly quickly.
I don't think the market relies on people who buy a new phone every year - though there clearly are people that do that. I imagine they bank on the average user changing their phone somewhere around once in ever 2-4 generations.
albaker

Post by albaker »

I have been told by someone that has an IPhone 6 that they cannot be unlocked from the contract carrier.
IPhone 6 can be unlocked here in UK but if you have one on a contract and cancel or not pay the carrier will block phone , something completely different and here in UK , and I believe in most of Europe , it is illegal to unblock mobile phones . :cheers:
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

buksida wrote:Apple fans are generally rather obsessive, it is more of a psychological disorder than a genuine need for new hardware.

:duck: :duck: :duck:
As a Apple stockholder, I'm hoping the obsessive behavior continues. Personally, I'm quite happy with the iPhone 4 I inherited from my wife several years ago….
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

albaker wrote:I have been told by someone that has an IPhone 6 that they cannot be unlocked from the contract carrier.
IPhone 6 can be unlocked here in UK but if you have one on a contract and cancel or not pay the carrier will block phone , something completely different and here in UK , and I believe in most of Europe , it is illegal to unblock mobile phones . :cheers:
In Italy it is illegal to lock a phone to a carrier in the first place, all handsets are SIM free. I have a UK iPhone 6 and it is not locked to any carrier. I think there is confusion here between being locked-in to a contract with a service provider and having a device that can't operate with a different SIM card inserted until a software lock has been lifted; usually for a fee.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I have a problem with my iMac. Both laptops do not have it. Every time I try to access a website or email account I get redirected to sites promising to earn thousands of dollars a day. The sites also kick in when I am trying to respond to business emails. I have searched online, removed mackeeper which just keeps coming back even though I never installed it in the first place. There is no pirate software on the computer. HELP!
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

crazy88 wrote:I have a problem with my iMac. Both laptops do not have it. Every time I try to access a website or email account I get redirected to sites promising to earn thousands of dollars a day. The sites also kick in when I am trying to respond to business emails. I have searched online, removed mackeeper which just keeps coming back even though I never installed it in the first place. There is no pirate software on the computer. HELP!
Sounds like Adware, not so much a virus just a bit of software that has piggy backed off of a download you have done.

If you are using firefox you will find it in your add ons folder, if not sure which one it is try this very clever (and free) bit of software, highly recommended by all who have used it.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/firefox-mod.php
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As a start read below, and follow the advice as to how to completely uninstall Mackeeper:

http://www.imore.com/avoid-mackeeper

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/h ... r-malware/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Thanks guys tis has just taken me at least 10 responses to get through. If it does.

Crazy88