The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Post by Gregjam »

So is this slowing down on older iStuff also affecting older iPads. My iPad Mini version 1 won't even take the latest OS but it certainly seems to have slowed down. Tried resetting it and still as slow. It still has a fair amount of memory as I moved all the photos and videos out. Perhaps it is a perceived slow down compared my iPhone 5S. The battery still lasts pretty well but it is appallingly slow. It has easily outlived it's MS brethren though and as an old duffer who used to load up a ZXspectrum from a cassette tape in the dim and not so distant past I can understand changes in speed. I can still watch videos on youtube but it struggles with better quality on the MotoGP site.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

NEW MESSAGES BUG LETS A SINGLE LINK FREEZE AND RESTART YOUR IPHONE

It has not been a good year for Apple, as far as software scandals are concerned. From autocorrect nuisances to secret slowdowns of aging iPhones, Apple has had a lot to answer for. iOS users now have another issue to worry about — it's being called "chaiOS," and it's wrecking havoc on iPhones with just a simple URL.

The URL looks like a simple GitHub link at first. However, it's anything but. According to 9to5Mac, the bug was initially reported by Twitter user Abraham Masri:

"I found a (small) bug that causes device to freeze, respring, drains battery, and/or sometimes panic. No need to install anything. Just open, tap then paste."

— Abraham Masri/Twitter

The bug he was referring to was for the link iabem97.github.io/safaribug, but he then shared iabem97.github.io/chaiOS as another malicious link. Masri confirms the links negatively affect iPhones in the ways described above, and instructs that you just need to send the URL to a recipient to plague them with issues. He does request that no one use the link for "bad stuff," which would be our suggestion too.

iPhone owners are not the only ones affected — Mac users should watch out for the bug as well. Whatever is happening under the hood, it appears both iOS and macOS are linked.

How to Get Rid of the Bug on Your iPhone
Some have taken it upon themselves to test the chaiOS bug. 9to5Mac reports both the sender and recipient of the link would occasionally experience the symptoms, which included resprings, as well as both Messages apps freezing. The outlet claims the only fix in these cases is to delete the Messages thread in question, but if you're having a hard time finding a way to delete it, there are a few things you can try.

Reddit user TeCHEye_RDT said that if you somehow get affected by this link in a message and you're not running iOS 11 yet, ask Siri to send a message to yourself or anyone besides the person who sent you the malicious link, tap "Messages >" to jump to the new message, then go back to the main Messages list and delete the conversation with the malicious link. In iOS 11, you can try using 3D Touch on the Messages app to start a new thread with someone else and do the same thing.

You could also try simply force-closing the Messages app, then reopen it and delete the thread. You can even try signing out of iMessages in your Settings, opening the Messages app, force-closing it, then signing back into iMessage.

This Is Not the First Time We've Seen Link Bugs
This issue isn't the first instance of a simple message creating chaos for iOS. Back in 2015, the "effective power" text caused iPhones to shut down unexpectedly. In fact, in one of his tweets, Marsi exclaims "Effective Power is back, baby!" in relation to this latest glitch.

Also, in late-2016, a huge vulnerability in Apple's WebView was discovered which malicious links could take advantage of, causing chaos on iPhones when tapped on, performing tasks such as repeated calls to 911 and other things.

There are currently no reports that chaiOS is necessarily dangerous to your device. However, should you choose to test it out for yourself, proceed with caution, as not much is known about the nature of the bug.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/news/new-me ... e-0182218/
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

ipaid.jpg
ipaid.jpg (118.4 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

Apple fined millions for Australia false iPhone claims
Apple was Tuesday fined Aus$9 million (US$6.7 million) by an Australian court for making false claims about consumer rights when refusing to fix faulty iPhones and iPads previously repaired by a third party.

Customers of the US tech giant had complained to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) after an operating system update disabled their devices in a global issue known as "error 53". The users were told by Apple that they were not eligible for a remedy if the iPhone or iPad had been repaired by another company.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30348113
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

This made me chuckle ...

Co-Founder Of World’s Most Centralized Tech Company Calls Blockchain A Bubble
The co-founder of a company that makes billions of dollars by essentially centralizing technology has called decentralized blockchain a hyped bubble.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak took to the stage yesterday at the NEX technology conference in New York to talk about blockchain and Bitcoin. According to CNBC he said that the hype around the industry is similar to the dot com bubble; “It was a bubble, and I feel that way about blockchain,”

He went on to state that Ethereum had a better ability to outlive the hype as it allows programmers to develop their own decentralized applications (dApps) to run on it.

The entire concept of a dApp goes against Apple’s core philosophy which is all about control. By locking consumers into its own ecosystem, which is governed by its own non-standard standards, the billion dollar firm can retain a tight grip of control over both its products, and those that buy them.

This is the quintessence of centralization, keeping users in a never ending loop of needless upgrades necessitated by timely and expensive product releases ensures they come back for more.

https://ethereumworldnews.com/co-founde ... -a-bubble/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

iPhones 'trail rivals in internet speeds'
If you paid top dollar for the iPhone X and Apple Inc's other flagship smartphones expecting the fastest mobile internet speeds around, you won't like these results.

Apple's iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and $1,000 iPhone X trail the latest smartphones from Samsung Electronics Co Ltd and Alphabet Inc's Google in download speeds, according to data from Ookla LLC, a company that provides the most popular online service for measuring the speed of an internet connection with its Speedtest app and website.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/world- ... net-speeds
buksida

Post by buksida »

Italy fines Apple, Samsung millions for slowing phones
Italy's competition authority on Wednesday said it was fining Apple and Samsung €10 and 5 million (375 and 187 million baht) respectively for the "planned obsolescence" of their smartphones.

The ruling is believed to be the first against the manufacturers following accusations worldwide that they encourage operating system updates for older phones which slow them down, thereby encouraging the purchase of new phones.

An investigation by the anti-trust authority revealed that "Apple and Samsung implemented dishonest commercial practices", a statement said.

Operating system updates "caused serious malfunctions and significantly reduced performance, thus accelerating phones' substitution."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/wo ... ing-phones
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

How fast is fast and how fast does one have to go? Do milliseconds make a difference to people's lives? Maybe if you're a day trader it does but other than that? Or its it bragging rights?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dunno but if you've ever used a 3 year old iPhone or Samsung that's so slow and bloated with their software it would probably be quicker to send a raven!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Apple Store opens in Bangkok next month

https://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/local- ... recent_box

The world's most valuable company has announced the opening of Apple Store in Bangkok, the first in Thailand and second in Southeast Asia after Singapore in 2017.

Apple Iconsiam overlooking the Chao Phraya will open its doors on Nov 10 at 10am, the company announced on its Thailand website.

With the logo slightly modified to resemble the Thai alphabet "อ", the store offers a full range of products -- iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, Apple Watch and select third-party accessories.

It also offers "Genius Bar", where customers can receive technical advice, setup and repair services by reservation. The Genius Bar provides software support for macOS and hardware service.

The Bangkok store is touted as a centre for people to exchange creative ideas, with programs and sessions to try them out.

Located at Iconsiam, a new mall in Klong San district, the store opens everyday from 10am to 10pm
Currently, there are 504 Apple Stores in the world, 271 of which are in the United States.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Serious FaceTime bug allows you to listen remotely before anyone answers
There’s a serious bug in Apple’s FaceTime video calling platform that has been bouncing around some corners of social media today, and that 9to5Mac just alerted us to: you can call somebody via FaceTime and listen to their phone’s microphone regardless of whether the person you’re calling picks up.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/28/1820 ... rity-issue

I'd call that a serious f'kup in vastly overrated and overpriced software.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Perhaps a bit of a poser for the tech types or something simple I have missed. At home I have a TOT WiFi router which is also connected to an Apple Airport Time Capsule. The wife’s iPhone 8 will connect up to the WiFi but gets no internet connection when connecting to either the 2.5G or 5G WiFi from the router. When the same phone is connected to the Airport Time Capsule signal all is good. I tried forgetting the network and reconnecting without success. Also rebooted the phone again with no success. At the same time I checked the same WiFi connection using both an iPhone 7 and X with both getting a good connection. From all this I assume the iPhone 8 is working but for some reason it will not work with the router.
Can anyone offer any advice or enlightenment.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

That is a poser! Presumably the TimeCapsule is connected via Cat5 (network) cable to the TOT router via the ethernet port and not one of the LAN ports? Also, are both the TOT router and TimeCapsule creating different WiFi networks or using the same SSID and password?

Apple does not play nice with non-apple network products when you try to use the Wireless Distribution System (WDS) feature of its hardware. I remember a series of firmware versions of my Airport Extreme routers (similar to TimeCapsule without the hard drive) where WDS was exclusively for apple products only. That said, you can connect other phones to the TOT router so that appears not to be the case.

There are two solutions I can think of. The first is to check what the DNS settings are for the router in the iPhone’s settings, since the phone is connecting to the network but the routing to the internet is not working. (Settings>WiFi>info (blue circle with ‘i’ in the middle)>configure DNS) and manually enter the two google addresses: 8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4. The second is to reset the network settings on the iPhone altogether. (Settings>general>reset>reset network settings).

Depending on how your networks are setup and how the respective IP addresses are being dished out—usually DHCP—the iPhone will be seen as a new device and the handshake between the two automatically setup again with the correct routing. If you reset the network settings, you will lose relationships with all prior networks, which could be a minor inconvenience but they should be easy enough to reconnect when they are encountered again; e.g. public WiFi hotspots, hotels, bars, etc.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I will compare the DNS settings etc between the phone that works and one that doesn’t once I can get the wife to get off the phone. The Airport network which is upstairs at the opposite corner of the house has a different name to avoid conflicts and (not being one to keep things simple) is connected to the router via a unit that uses the house wiring to connect to the unit plugged in downstairs near the router. Both of the extender units are plugged into a socket and not using an extension lead.
The wife’s phone has a good AIS data contract and as she is currently connected she is reluctant to let me “play “ with her phone during which time she may lose connectivity and perhaps miss the next lottery’s winning number.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

This is a situation I am only too familiar with! It’s 99% likely the iPhone 8 has the glitch since other devices connect to the network with no problems.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde