Thailand internet 8th fastest in Asia

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Thailand internet 8th fastest in Asia

Post by buksida »

Thailand’s average broadband-internet speed ranks eighth in Asia and 52nd worldwide, according to US network diagnostics firm Ookla.

Based on results of voluntary tests done on its Speedtest.net website, Ookla said the rolling-average broadband throughput over the past 30 days in Thailand came in at 19.9 megabits per second, ahead of Vietnam (17.6 mbps), and Cambodia (9 mbps), but far behind world leaders Singapore (121.7 mbps) and Hong Kong (102.6 mbps).

Ookla notes, however, that results are based only tests performed by internet users within 480 kilometres of Ookla servers, meaning rankings are centred on internet speeds in major cities.

Since Ookla began releasing test results in 2010, countries worldwide have criticised the results, saying they are skewed by the fact the tests are not random, are focused on metropolitan areas and do not take into consideration broadband penetration throughout a country.

Myanmar, for example, turns in a respectable 6.6 mpbs score, but large parts of the country still have no internet access or only sketchy dial-up connections.

Still, for many users, the Ookla rankings give a clear comparative picture of the world's haves and have-nots when it comes to broadband speeds.

Outside of Singapore and Hong Kong, which come in 14 megabits faster than third-ranked St. Pierre and Miquelon, the French protectorate islands in the North Atlantic, Japan ranks fourth with an average speed of 82.4 mbps, followed by South Korea (59.5 mbps), Macau (51.1 mbps), Taiwan (50.6 mbps), and China 29.8 mbps)

Elsewhere in Asia, Laos posted an average broadband speed of 7.1 mbps, Indonesia 6.7 mbps and the Philippines 3.7 mbps.

Globally, the United States had an average broadband speed of 36.3 mbps, the United Kingdom 30.1 mbps and Australia 16.7 mbps.

Full Story: Bangkok Post

Thought: They obviously ignored all my test results then. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Thailand internet 8th fastest in Asia

Post by Big Boy »

121.7 mbps :shock: . I thought my 40+ was good.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I don't need to test my speed of a weekend when the combination of kids playing games and Bangkok visitors slow my connection to a crawl. Mid week is okay and I am not prepared to pay extra just for good internet at the weekend.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I wonder how much the Bangkok Post got paid to write that article?
The internet(wifi) in my apartment is so bad and unreliable that I am forced to use a DTAC dongle(HSPA+) to access the internet most of the time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I suppose it all depends what it's used for. I have 3BB (10+ mbs) and I can do everything I need uninterrupted. Expat TV on two locations, youtube etc all run smoothly. Download movies can be as quick as 10 - 15 mins (avg 1.5 GB).

I suppose if you're sending/receiving large volumes of date which are required quickly then the faster the better. All in all, a faster line would serve me no purpose.