TOT Fibre 2 U

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Pleng
Legend
Legend

TOT Fibre 2 U

Post by Pleng »

I saw an advert around the Hilton area today for a "Fibre-2-U" internet package, from TOT.

I guess this is a similar setup to 3BB's fibre-to-home which I remember having some pretty bad reviews in another thread here (which I unfortunately can't find right now..)

Does anybody have any experience with the TOT fibre service?
Big Boy

Re: TOT Fibre 2 U

Post by Big Boy »

This is the missing thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24885 . Friends installed the 3BB service and are delighted with it (probably teething problems that they all experience). Can't help with the TOT service though.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

We went with the 3BB solution and have gotten 70-85MPS internet screams as long as you stay in Thailand.. Head overseas and the throttle lessens,,, Still far improvement over the DSL we had before.. Good price point at 1200B per month.... Very happy with the performance and the service was great getting it installed...
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Have been using TOT Fibre for about 6 months now (not in Hua Hin though).

The first month was blisteringly fast both domestic and international bandwidth. Then I guess they ramp down your speed to normal - which is currently no quicker than the old copper cable ADSL (about 6-8Mbps on a good day). It is much better for reliability (doesn't go down 4 times a week anymore) but no difference in speed. It was a free upgrade (still paying 700 baht a month) so I took it.

Here is a test I just did to servers in the US:
speed.jpg
speed.jpg (66.09 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll probably give it a go.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Our 3BB annual contract runs out at the end of this week and we had already planned to renew as the service had been reasonable, however yesterday we got a visit from TOT who have just installed fibre optic in our area and they were offering free installation. They have a range of packages, but even the lowest spec was 20 mb download and 10 mb upload (we were currently on 10 and 0.5) and at 700 baht, just 100 baht a month more than we currently pay so we agreed. Within 2 hours we had the installation complete, we had to pay 1300 baht for the wifi router which has a much stronger signal than before and when I did a speed test it gave me the agreed figures, so whilst it's early days, so far so good and watched Thai Expat TV last night without a hitch.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

When the TOT guy installed my new twin antennae router following my upgrade to 15 Mbps he mentioned that fiber optic was due soon. Next month was said but TIT so I will not lose any sleep waiting for it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote:When the TOT guy installed my new twin antennae router following my upgrade to 15 Mbps he mentioned that fiber optic was due soon. Next month was said but TIT so I will not lose any sleep waiting for it.
I live about 6 kms south of Cha Am and they have been laying the fibre optic cable in a trench dug by the side of the railway line - I assume this will eventually go all the way to HH so depending on where you live will determine how long before it's available
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Is there any ways to get TOT to install a simple media converter (fiber to CAT5) instead of a full on WiFi router? TOT installed fiber in our house in Korat last week. I'm now in Hua Hun. They show up today (daughter is home) wanting to install a new router. Told him to put it in bridged mode so I could continue to use my old router. He didn't know what bridged mode is. Told him to come back next week when I'll be home.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

We previously had TOT at first speed was great then it went down and down, we went to TOT on Phetkasem road, wife spoke nicely and the response was there is no problem. I was pissed so let off a few choice words, he went to another room came back and said is all fixed now. I re tested once home and it was 100% they obviously have a way to turn down the speed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I'm confused.... The fibre2u package comes with a 4 port Ethernet 'modem' and usually (unless you specify otherwise) a WiFi router. If, like me, you didn't really understand what you were getting when you signed up, just discard the WiFi router and plug one of the LAN outputs of your modem into the 'WAN' port of your router. If your router doesn't have a 'WAN' port then plug it into one of the LAN ports... It's then *your* router that needs to be configured for bridged mode, not theirs
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Well, I don't want their router at all. What I want is a media converter which has fiber optic on one side and CAT5 Ethernet on the other. There is no modem needed because this is a digital signal with no modulation required.

If they insist on supplying a router I would put their router in bridged mode so it acts as if it were a simple media converter and use my existing router to do NAT, DHCP, etc.

I spent a lot of time configuring my router, I don't want to do it all over again with theirs.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

"Media Converter"?? Never heard the term, but after a brief search on Google - good luck on finding one here! (In fact all I could find were Ethernet to Fibre converters, and not the other way around... so unless it's something you've experienced before I guess there might be some misunderstanding here).

The bare minimum you get with TOT Fibre2U is a ZTE fibre modem which has 4 Ethernet out ports and no WiFi. They usually plug this in to a Tenda access point. You can opt out of the Tenda access point, but not the ZTE modem.

Again... it is your router that needs to be put into bridged mode (assuming it has no WAN IN), not their ZTE. The ZTE that they supply has nothing to bridge... as it is providing the initial point of contact.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Invade IT has a whole raft of media converters. They seem to be readily available in Thailand.

Let's see. How about bridging the optical in to the CAT5 out? That's pretty much what I did with 3BB's silly Huawei ADSL modem/router and that's what I'd do with TOT's Zhone optical router if that's all they can supply.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Can you provide a link? As I can't see any sub category of 'media converter' under networking on InvadeIT website.

As for your question about bridging the optical in to the CAT5 out... That's not what bridging does.

You really have two options... Either connect a single LAN out from the ZTE router to the WAN in of your main router, and configure your router to act as a router. Or go from a single LAN out to a single LAN in on your main router, and configure it to work as a switch.

Bridging mode connects two networks together, which you don't need.