Windows 10 Developments

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Windows 10 Developments

Post by caller »

My start button and Edge has stopped working yet again. Fixed it twice already and it seems to occur when updates are downloaded, but 3rd time unlucky. Sick of it now. A real pain as just arrived in the UK to sort out a lot of personal business.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It's been quiet a while since any posts have been made about Windows10 so I thought I'd resurrect it as I'm still on Windows7 and get regular requests to upgrade to 10, so my question is; those that have upgraded, are you pleased that you did, or regret doing so?
:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If it's any comfort, the US Dept of Defense just started upgrading 4 million devices to Windows 10. They seem to like the improvement in security. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Out of interest, do you know what they're upgrading from? Sorry it's off=topic but my last job with MOD was trying to upgrade the British MOD to Windows 7, and it seemed impossible - as far as I'm aware, they haven't finished it yet.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I'll look more later. The articles I read I didn't notice any mention? Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just scanned a few more articles and it seems to be from a mix of 7 and XP. February 2017 is the target completion date. They've been at it since November. Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We'd been at it for about 3 years, and were moving from XP. Over 50% of (hundreds of) applications needed re-writing and testing, plus peripherals were simply incompatible - cost was outrageous. I've already talked about modern peripherals being too intelligent, and vulnerable to attck, so just finding something like a flatbed scanner was proving impossible. Biggest problem we had was size and delivery. Most applications (used worldwide) needed to be re-written and delivered at exactly the same time as the worldwide network had to be switched on. One glitch in one application would jeopardise the entire programme - it was a mega-nightmare, and retirement sounded a much easier option.

Out target date was 2011, but nobody was clever enough to sort it.

Anyway, I digress :offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I am using Windows 10, but I did not attempt to upgrade, bought a new computer and had a licenced (64 bit) copy installed.

It has many bells and whistles that I will never use, or need, but so far there has been no problems with it. The only peripheral that I have is the printer, and despite trying to find drivers for it on the Internet, Win 10 had no trouble recognizing it from what I assume is built in generic drivers. The same with my ancient hard wired router, did not need the software that came with the router.

All my old files transferred via a USB flash drive, albeit took me several days to get them all. I also installed the expensive 2016 "Office" software and have not had any problems with it converting the old "pirate" Office 2000.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Thanks for the replies so far, hopefully they'll be a few more from people who have made the stepup and can give their experiences before I decide to "push the button".
buksida

Post by buksida »

Have upgraded and installed it on several systems - there are a lot of things you need to turn off and disable to make the whole experience smoother, more private and less intrusive:
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... to-fix-it/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:Have upgraded and installed it on several systems - there are a lot of things you need to turn off and disable to make the whole experience smoother, more private and less intrusive:
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... to-fix-it/
Thanks for this Buks, although it puts me into a small dilemma, I'm not the most computer literate person so following all of the instructions in the attachment might prove to be a bit of a challenge for me, but I don't fancy all of my details going back to Microsoft (even though they probably do at the moment). I guess that if I was able to follow most of the instructions it would close most of the doors, but it makes me wonder whether it's all worth it, as I get along fine with Windows7.
:cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'm still on Windows 7 on the desktop and have no plans to "upgrade" it until the choice is taken from me!

Laptops on the other hand are a different animal, they're usually forced to run the latest OS as the software companies "discourage" them releasing drivers for older operating systems.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I upgraded a laptop and a tablet from 8.1 to 10 with no problems and glad I did as 10 is much better. I tried to upgrade a netbook from Windows 7 to 10 and could not resolve all the problems with a month of trying. I decided to roll it back to 7, but will probably install some form of Linux on it eventually as I did on my XP desktop about 2 years ago (and am very happy with that decision).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by pharvey »

May be useful to some using Windows 10.

Free download - "Windows 10 Bible". Just make some BS up regarding company details.....

http://whitepapershg.tradepub.com/free/ ... 0/prgm.cgi

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

A recent annoying development with Windows 10 and Windows Update: twice this month I was merrily using my computer and suddenly the WiFi connection dropped and wouldn't reconnect. Figuring something needed resetting, I rebooted and -- voila! -- the "Updating Windows" screen appeared advising me not to shut down, etc. After the reboot and the update was complete, WiFi worked as usual.

No notice that a reboot had been scheduled, like sometimes happens. No notice at all. Just sudden loss of WiFi connection. Twice this month.