Windows 10 Developments

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Windows 10 Developments

Post by buksida »

I've done a few installations of Windows 10 now and yes, there is rightful paranoia about Microsoft privacy (even though Apple, Google and Facebook have been stealing your data for years without even asking).

You can easily opt out of all the "spying" options that are in W10 and here is how:
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... to-fix-it/

What remains to be seen is whether they all get re-enabled after the forced updates (which can also be disabled).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Convinced even the "Fix-It" above doesn't work Buks. Nightmare re: privacy - I for one will not download (now), however I certainly will not be able to hold out for ever...

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I've read enough about win 10 that, and I can't believe I'm saying this, my next box may be a Mac.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Hmm, something bad for something worse! :idea:

My next box will be this: http://www.ubuntu.com
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

My next box will be this: http://www.ubuntu.com
I've been using that as my primary os in my desktop for a few years now and don't see that changing any time soon. It's free, fast, safe, and pretty easy to use. Compare Ubuntu and Mint to see which interface you like best.

The problem is that I find I still need windows from time to time for a (very) few things I can't get to work on Ubuntu.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

hhfarang wrote:The problem is that I find I still need windows from time to time for a (very) few things I can't get to work on Ubuntu.
Same for me on Mint until last year. Then I tried Lightroom, loved it and relegated Mint to VirtualBox. My laptop was dual boot Mint and Win 7 because Linux WiFi drivers meant when Linux couldn't connect, Win 7 would.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

buksida

Post by buksida »

:shock:

Time to go back to DOS 3!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

:) My first version of DOS was 3.3
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Take anything Richard Stallman says with great caution or amusement. He and his major contributions are spectacularly brilliant. However, since he dove into all aspects of computer related 'freedom' he's been unable to see any shades of gray. He also is unable to talk about anything he disproves of without going beyond hyperbole. For example, buying one program required paying for periodic license extensions. Buyers knew that. What they didn't know is the software stopped working soon after the license expired. Solution? Buy an extension. In an interview Stallman described the feature as "a crime against humanity".
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Does anyone know how to get the 'Mobile Hotspot' feature in Windows 10 to work?
It's in the notification center.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Obvious first question: Do you have that feature turned on? It was an on/off toggle I noticed during the install.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

hhfarang wrote:Obvious first question: Do you have that feature turned on? It was an on/off toggle I noticed during the install.
I did not notice that when I upgraded to Windows 10.
I am getting a message when I try to use the 'Mobile hotspot' feature saying "We can't share this internet connection because we can't connect to the mobile network."
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

hhfarang wrote:Is this what you want to do?

http://mashable.com/2015/08/18/windows- ... 138fO8U8kc
Yes.