Windows 10 Developments

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Windows 10 Developments

Post by Dannie Boy »

I installed Win 10 onto a 5 year old laptop that had Win 7 and I must admit that I have not found there to be any real drawbacks and most of the functions are an improvement and more intuitive - speaking from a very non-techy perspective
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I guess the megga security updates will be a necessary evil for some, but that aside, I think they have learnt from the Windows 8 debacle (certainly put me off moving from Windows 7), and have produced a user friendly system for the average user again. OK, if you're a high end user, there are probably bits the every day Joe on the street might never use, which might not suit. My fears were totally unfounded.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

For those who don't use automatic update, here is some update advice from my Win update guru:

If that experience proves exemplary, the general pattern is to have a cumulative update (er, patch rollup) released as Optional, wait a month to see if anything explodes, and if not, then change it to Recommended the next month.

In other words, don't apply the Optional update unless you're feeling lucky. Advice also applies to win 7 and 8.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/312226 ... dates.html
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've just reinstalled the desktop with Win 10 and once I had it running as it should (intrusive shite off, annoying services disabled), I updated the security patches and deferred the rest which is also a good option for those not wanting the cumulative updates: http://www.howtogeek.com/223083/what-do ... s-10-mean/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

The woes of Windows 10
Why so many PC users refuse to upgrade to Microsoft's latest operating system
DESPITE its having been available for 18 months, three out of four PC owners have not bothered to upgrade their computers to the latest version of Microsoft's operating system, Windows 10. More than 700m of the world's 1.5bn or so computers continue to run on Windows 7, a piece of software three generations old. A further 300m users have stuck with other versions—half of them stubbornly (and rashly) clinging to 16-year-old Windows XP that Microsoft pensioned off three years ago. The business world has been even more recalcitrant. In a recent study by Softchoice, an info-tech consultancy, corporate computers were found to be running a whole gamut of legacy versions of Windows. Fewer than 1% of them had been upgraded to Windows 10.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... windows-10
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Personally, I've been on Windows 10 for a few months now, and have found it to be an almost invisible upgrade from Windows 7.

I thought that I wouldn't be bothered with the annoying update problem because mine wasn't a proper copy, but I have even suffered the update scenarios, which was nowhere near as bad as people made out. I get notifications, and can update when convenient. Yes, I could ignore the notifications, and let Windows update when it feels ready, but that would be plain stupid, and a real pain in the butt.

Anybody on Windows 7, who is afraid to update - you will barely see the join.

Points 41; Position 18
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote:Anybody on Windows 7, who is afraid to update - you will barely see the join.
But do a clean install of Windows 10 and don't simply accept the online free update from W7.
It made a complete mess of my PC and the reset to W7 option didn't get rid of all the glitches either....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I think mine was a pirate copy onto a brand new laptop.

Points 41; Position 18
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, I think mine was a pirate copy onto a brand new laptop.
I would never use a pirated copy of any operating system.
It's the central core of your computer, and it's crucial to keep it up to date.
It's like tinkering with the engine in your car....don't fcuk with it....it'll go wrong.

Most of the pirated copies I've ever seen have updates disabled.....someday, some other new software package will screw up, because of something that is missing in the operating system (because it hasn't been updated).

If something goes wrong you can't ever know for sure what is at fault....something you did? or is it because the main engine of the machine has been screwed with?.....you'll never know.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Updates are often the cause of many OS problems, they're not always the saviours!
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

buksida wrote:Updates are often the cause of many OS problems, they're not always the saviours!
Are we talking updating a genuine OS or a hacked version??
I personally, have never had any issues when updating my Win 10 OS....long may it continue :?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Both - if I had a dollar for every time I had to roll back an update because it had messed up someones computer ... I wouldn't have to mess around working on computers any longer.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:Both - if I had a dollar for every time I had to roll back an update because it had messed up someones computer ... I wouldn't have to mess around working on computers any longer.
:agree: I had to switch updates off on both Vista and Windows 7 because my 'genuine copies kept getting screwed.

These days I keep the important bits backed up. If the operating system becomes screwed, it's all fixed for 500 Baht. From what I can see, the computer guys here in Hua Hin install as clean as a new copy.

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:These days I keep the important bits backed up. If the operating system becomes screwed, it's all fixed for 500 Baht. From what I can see, the computer guys here in Hua Hin install as clean as a new copy.
Next time it's fixed, make a system image onto an external drive. It's easy. When the OS gets screwed, overwrite the internal drive with the system image. Windows has a tool for this, but it's unreliable and you must use it exactly the limited way Microsoft wants. I use the free version of Reflect by Macrium.
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

buksida wrote:Both - if I had a dollar for every time I had to roll back an update because it had messed up someones computer ... I wouldn't have to mess around working on computers any longer.
Wow, I'm now confused....i've been racking my brains trying to remember of an instance where an OS update messed up my computer.
From win 98 to present, I can't think of one time that my computer has been messed up by an update....I guess I've been lucky.
I always use a genuine OS, but do use hacked apps....autocad/studio max/photoshop...but try to keep those to a minimum....yours confused.