Windows 10 Developments

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Windows 10 Developments

Post by caller »

I've noticed the same as well. And for the life of me, I can't work out how to stop it happening, Even where other schedules are set.
Talk is cheap
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ & ^^ Maybe this will help...

"Windows 10 tip: Solve network problems with a one-click reset"

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... ick-reset/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Also finding the W10 updates a real pain, even when the update service has been disabled it somehow reactivates it. Have a dual boot to Linux now which will eventually become my primary system.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Buksi, In the long run I think you'll find you'll use Linux 99% of the time. That's what happened with me. It's so fast and easy... beats the hell out of Windows for most stuff. I occasionally have to go to Windows to run something that I can't figure out how to do in Linux, but that's very rare.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well. I was forced to buy a new laptop yesterday, so I reluctantly took the Windows 10 plunge. OK. I'm only a day in, but I'm finding it hard to spot the differences between 7 and 10 in every day use. Looking good so far.

Only problem with the laptop so far is somebody must have thought it would be amusing to put the on/off switch where the Del button always used to be :banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is a world of difference between 7 and 10, just as there was between XP and 7.

With 10 you'll need to disable all of the intrusive shite that M$ enables by default, here's how: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... to-fix-it/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

To me, just a basic user, it is honestly hard to tell the difference - I'm still trying to spot the differences.

Yes, of course there's got to be differences, else they wouldn't be able to sell it................ oh, wait a minute, they didn't. Up to now, I'm guessing the installation guy, Mr Don, has already disabled the crap.

Time will tell - I remember your elated post when you first switched :D

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dont guess on anyone else configuring your computer for you.
Big Boy wrote:Time will tell - I remember your elated post when you first switched :D
Oh the novelty will soon wear off, especially when it wants to update and takes 45 minutes rebooting when you have something urgent to do. Happy with Linux on the laptop now.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:Dont guess on anyone else configuring your computer for you. Mr Don is usually fairly switched on. He's got a few bits wrong in the past, which have wound me up, but take it back, and it's soon sorted.
Big Boy wrote:Time will tell - I remember your elated post when you first switched :D
Oh the novelty will soon wear off, especially when it wants to update and takes 45 minutes rebooting when you have something urgent to do. Happy with Linux on the laptop now. LOL, I'm expecting something nasty to happen with every key stroke, but it just isn't happening........................ yet :wink: .

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:Dont guess on anyone else configuring your computer for you.
Oh the novelty will soon wear off, especially when it wants to update and takes 45 minutes rebooting when you have something urgent to do. Happy with Linux on the laptop now.
45 minutes......".my machine did an update last night and when I switched it on at least 1.1/2 hours ago, it's literally just this minute finishing the update :banghead:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Dannie Boy wrote:
buksida wrote:Dont guess on anyone else configuring your computer for you.
45 minutes......".my machine did an update last night and when I switched it on at least 1.1/2 hours ago, it's literally just this minute finishing the update :banghead:
Get a decent machine i7 processor loads of cores, solid state disk then you've got speed like shit off a shovel! :D
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have a Toshiba Qosmio with a i7 processor, trouble is its almost 6 years old, so old tech, weighs a ton and despite the fact it was about the best spec going in 2010, it's a bit of a dinosaur, still for what I use it for, it'll do a few more years yet!!

Be careful with that sh1t though JG, after a vindalo it tends not to fly off the shovel so fast.
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

I have a Microsoft Surface Book....i7, 16GB ram, 512GB solid state drive.
It boots from a cold start to a fully loaded desktop (I use windows hello....facial recognition) in under 15secs.
The last Win 10 update (KB 3194496) took about 15mins.
It, and Win 10 runs like a dream.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote:To me, just a basic user, it is honestly hard to tell the difference - I'm still trying to spot the differences.

Yes, of course there's got to be differences, else they wouldn't be able to sell it................ oh, wait a minute, they didn't. Up to now, I'm guessing the installation guy, Mr Don, has already disabled the crap.

Time will tell - I remember your elated post when you first switched :D
Well, here I am, a few weeks on, and it's still hard to spot the join between 7 and 10. Yes, I had an annoying hardware problem with the new laptop (fixed in half a day), but I'm still finding Windows 10 very easy to use.

I think the difference must be that Thais don't install official copies of the product. If it goes wrong, you simply get it re-installed to the latest unofficial version for a few hundred Baht. If Thai laptops came with software already installed, I'd have suffered it. What I've got is the product, without all of the annoying security updates that most of you seem to have switched off anyway.

As for security, or lack of it - I am very careful, and have been running without the Windows 10 security for 20 years now without being attacked (I didn't even get invited to the Bluport opening :D ). Windows security can't be that good anyway because we keep hearing of attacks through gaps in Windows security.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think the difference must be that Thais don't install official copies of the product.
That may be part of it, but I believe a bigger problem is trying to upgrade from Win 7, rather than a clean install on to a suitable computer.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!