Windows 10 Developments

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Windows 10 Developments

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Windows 10 Developments

Post by PeteC »

Microsoft tackles China piracy with free upgrade to Windows 10

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-tackles ... nance.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

A few days ago, Microsoft moved the KB3035583 patch from 'optional' to 'important'. It's important to them. It's nagware for Win 7 SP1 and Win 8 users, which will inform them of the Win 10 'upgrade'. If you're reading this thread, there is no need to install it. If you don't install new Win versions until after the first SP, there is no need to install it. If you're smart enough to have not enabled automatic Win update, there is no need to install it.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/290600 ... oader.html
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Thanks for reminding me homer... I need to make sure my Windows 7 netbook is not set to update automatically; meanwhile I can't wait to get the update on my (2) Windows 8.1 machines as they seem pretty much useless to me now.

"Microsoft Releases New Windows 10, It's The Big One"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... r=yahootix
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

http://lifehacker.com/all-the-important ... 1700943959

I like the idea of sandbox for apps. It's unbelievable how fast a (current) Windows system gets trashed by leftovers from programs that are no longer running or even uninstalled.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Windows 10 To Be 'Last Version Of Windows"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleath ... r=yahootix
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Windows 10 is being released July 29th. Here's instructions for those interested for how to reserve and get your free copy (for Windows 7 and 8.1 users)

"Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will officially roll out July 29. That means it will be available on any PCs you purchase as of that date -- and as a free upgrade to your existing Windows 7 or 8.1 tablet or PC.

Microsoft has a lot riding on Windows 10. The new OS has the task of erasing the bad experiences people had with the touchscreen-focused Windows 8, which ultimately failed to catch fire among PC users. Windows 10 comes packed with new features, such as a redesigned Start menu, the Cortana voice assistant and a new browser called Edge, all designed to win over jaded Windows users. The new OS will also offer a more unified experience among PCs, tablets and smartphones as a way to convince consumers to go the Windows route for all their devices. As such, the company wants to make sure that current device owners know they can now get in line to pick up Windows 10.

So how can you now reserve your free copy of Windows 10?

- First, you must be running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1, and you must have installed a March the Windows update dubbed KB3035583, according to blog site VentureBeat. That update will already be on your PC as long as you have Automated Updates enabled.
- Peek at your Windows system tray in the lower right corner, and you should see a new icon displaying the Windows logo. Hover over it, and the popup messages says: "Get Windows 10."
- Click that icon, and up pops a window that explains how the free upgrade works. Once it's available, Windows 10 will automatically download onto your PC. You'll receive a notification after the download is complete so that you can choose an appropriate time to install it.
- You can scroll through the various screens of the Get Windows 10 window to read more about the new OS.
- When you're done, simply click the button to reserve your free upgrade.
- The reservation screen asks for your email address so you can receive the notification. Enter your email address and click the Send confirmation button. You can now close the Get Windows 10 window.
- Should you change your mind and wish to cancel the reservation, just click the Get Windows 10 icon again.
- Click the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner to display the menu and click the link for View confirmation.
- Then click the link to Cancel reservation and click the button for Cancel reservation to confirm your choice.

Windows 10 is a free upgrade. The upgrade covers the full version of Windows 10, not simply a trial or limited version. It also ensures that you can run Windows 10 on your specific device for free "for the supported lifetime of your device," according to Microsoft.

But there are some caveats. The free upgrade applies only to Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1. So if you haven't upgraded Windows 7 to SP1 or Windows 8 to 8.1, you'll have to perform those tasks first. Also, you have one year from July 29 to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 for free. After that year is up, you'll presumably have to purchase Windows 10 yourself.

Those of you running Windows RT or RT 8.1 are out of luck. Microsoft has excluded Windows RT and RT 8.1 from the free upgrade offer.

Microsoft haven't revealed the pricing for Windows 10. But a page from online retailer Newegg spotted by CNET sister site ZDNet shows Windows 10 Home priced at $110 and Windows 10 Professional priced at $150. Those prices are for the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) versions of Windows 10, which are designed to be installed from scratch on a new device. Thus, the upgrade prices for those running Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 will likely be lower than that come July 30, 2016, when it's no longer free."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/free-copy- ... 50605.html
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Free Windows 10 Upgrades Now Even Better Value
Comment Now Follow Comments

The mists are clearing. The Windows 10 official release is very close and the free upgrade rules are clear. Yet despite this two massive doubts have loomed over just how ‘free’ Windows 10 really is, until now…

Taking to Twitter TWTR -0.7%, Microsoft Operating Systems Group general manager Gabriel Aul has finally cleared up these potential deal breakers which have been asked by users over and over again:

Can a free Windows 10 upgrade be reinstalled for free?

Are free Windows 10 upgrades standalone copies or do they require a previous version of Windows to be pre-installed?

The first is not only relevant to hardcore PC users who like to spring clean their systems regularly with hard formatting and a full Windows reinstall, but also to the masses who would have to reinstall Windows 10 if they upgraded a hard drive or had a hard drive fail. If the ‘free’ element were a one time install there would be a nasty $120+ additional cost for Windows alongside the new hard drive.

Aul’s answer? Don’t worry! “Once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time”"

Comment: Is Microsoft really going to do something right for a change?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... r=yahootix
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

hhfarang wrote:Comment: Is Microsoft really going to do something right for a change?
Not in one aspect. Win 10 Home version will not include some features from versions 7 and 8, including Win Media Center. The troubling new feature is the user will have no control over OS updates, unless the box isn't connected to the net. Between how often updates cause more harm than good, possible (inevitable?) changes in copyright controls from the DCMA or whomever, and nothing to stop them from adding nagware or ads, Microsoft could do numerous wrong things. Obviously, their control would also allow installing spying software, but one would have to be paranoid to fear secret data collection by the government working with a company providing customers with any sort of communications.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... windows-8/
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

This keeps getting better. Microsoft says KB 2952664 is a "compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7… [that] helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.". It also pegs your CPU at 100% during startup. It also "Collects program telemetry information if opted-in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program." every day at 3am. That's not true, it's collected regardless of your opt-in status.

Given that XP is harder to kill than Rasputin, a cynic might think that microsoft would include patches to win 7 and 8 that will make users leave more willing to leave them.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/291160 ... oping.html
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I am a complete, self-confessed, useless idiot where computers are involved. So without all the jargon is it possible for me to change from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when the time comes.
Yours pleadingly....
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Yes. If you want to. It's free. No need to plead, :)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

arcadianagain wrote:I am a complete, self-confessed, useless idiot where computers are involved. So without all the jargon is it possible for me to change from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when the time comes.
Yours pleadingly....
Yes, you can reserve your copy now by clicking that little windows icon in the bottom right tray. If it's not there you don't have updates turned on. If you do that and have automatic updates on you should get Windows 10 next month.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Windows 10: The votes poured in for these 10 features, and Microsoft delivered"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2835218/ ... tml#slide2

"The Best Strategy for Windows 10: Wait"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485689,00.asp