Mobile phone registration

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: Mobile phone registration

Post by Big Boy »

Well that was easy - not :cuss:

Went with Mrs BB to AIS in Market Village. Greeted by a young girl and boy, not long out of nappies. Explained in both English and Thai that we needed to register our SIM cards. The response was repeatedly, "You want to buy a SIM card?"

At one stage the boy advanced to ask if I had my passport. Thinking I was making progress, I responded, "Yes." The response was, "OK, you can buy SIM card."

Mrs BB was quoting the article, including the fine if AIS don't comply. The way they looked at us was as if we were from Mars. There was no way the kids were going to give us a ticket to see a desk clerk. Rather than lose my temper with them, I turned and walked away, and Mrs BB followed.

I guess I just wait now until my service is suspended. I don't use the phone for phone calls very much anyway. My main use is wi-fi hot spot, so loss of phone service won't actually bother me.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Oh dear, i have this to look forward to next week...or not, perhaps.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to take out a post-paid contract and port the number from my pre-paid (PAYG) phone?
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:Well that was easy - not :cuss:

Went with Mrs BB to AIS in Market Village. Greeted by a young girl and boy, not long out of nappies. Explained in both English and Thai that we needed to register our SIM cards. The response was repeatedly, "You want to buy a SIM card?"

At one stage the boy advanced to ask if I had my passport. Thinking I was making progress, I responded, "Yes." The response was, "OK, you can buy SIM card."

Mrs BB was quoting the article, including the fine if AIS don't comply. The way they looked at us was as if we were from Mars. There was no way the kids were going to give us a ticket to see a desk clerk. Rather than lose my temper with them, I turned and walked away, and Mrs BB followed.

I guess I just wait now until my service is suspended. I don't use the phone for phone calls very much anyway. My main use is wi-fi hot spot, so loss of phone service won't actually bother me.
BB

Try the third(?) floor in the shopping Mall. MV technology shops stink IMO. No one there seems to know anything other than how to sell you something. Pretty much sums MV up. I always use and always recommend Shopping Mall and have never been disappointed whether it be a phone, computer or printer issue.

Edit.I was even referred there by a pucker Nokia phone shop as they admitted they didn't know my problem but Shopping Mall would'
Last edited by richard on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Are the Thais queuing up for this? NO

Do they even know/are aware of it? No

Will service end for millions on February 2nd? No
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was never going to end on Feb 2nd. It was 6 months later.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:BB

Try the third(?) floor in the shopping Mall.
No, I won't bother again. I don't really need a phone, so if that's the end of it, so be it.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I guess I just wait now until my service is suspended. I don't use the phone for phone calls very much anyway. My main use is wi-fi hot spot, so loss of phone service won't actually bother me.
Hmm, opened up a hornets nest here!
As far as I know to use wi-fi you need a SIM card, and that is what they are wanting you to register. As you say, it has a 6 month grace period, so it should become clear where to do it well before then.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Are the Thais queuing up for this? NO
And when they are it'll be my Thai partner in the queue and not me!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

J.J.B. wrote:Oh dear, i have this to look forward to next week...or not, perhaps.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to take out a post-paid contract and port the number from my pre-paid (PAYG) phone?
Yes it is - I've done it before with AIS
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Firstly, the registration points will not be in place until February 1st at the earliest. It will take a couple of weeks for everything to fall in place then you'll be able to register at 7/11, supermarkets, some banks and of course the service provider shops. You then have 6 months before any action is taken. This has been law for some years but only now are they making moves to enforce it. I registered my and my wife's years ago when the law came into force. I've since called AIS's helpline and was able to check quite quickly that our phones are in fact already registered.
I've spoken with quite a few Thai's and yes, they do know about it but with 110 million sim cards to register it's a mammoth task and may fall by the wayside as it did before.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:I've since called AIS's helpline and was able to check quite quickly that our phones are in fact already registered.
This partly answers my initial question, thank you. Do you have the number please?

Do they speak English?

Points 48; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

^^

AIS: call 1175 from your mobile, or +66 2299 5000 from abroad.

DTAC: call 1678 (press 7 for English) from your mobile, or +66 2202 8000 from abroad.

True: call 1331 from your mobile, or +66 89100 1331 from abroad.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I and probably millions of other people have received a text this afternoon from AIS saying I have to register my SIM on 31 Jul 15 at AIS or Telewiz. Nothing like creating chaos by trying to register 90 million SIM cards in a single day :?

Points 48; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

BB: is it on 31st July or by 31st July ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's got to be a typo and should be "by" I would think? July 31 is the deadline, 6 months from Feb. 1 as reported.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source