Buying a new laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Bluesky »

Thanks for your thoughts and advice hhfarang and jack sprat. Am currently leaning towards a Linux operating system if it will support the platforms we are using primarily on the basis of security. Have done the circuit of what is available in HH and BKK and currently looking to see what will be available in Aus and US in the next couple of months.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

In case you're not familiar with Linux, most versions will run from a thumb drive as a dual OS so that you can try them out before installing anything on your machine to see if you like it and if it will do what you need.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Prices is the US will be a lot less than here.

Still haven't got one myself yet, looks like laptop specs and prices have stagnated since I started searching 9 months ago, guess all the new advancements and upgrades are going into smartphones now.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Quick update, finally went for one of these: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X555LN/

Impressed so far, the 8GB of RAM keeps things snappy, even on Win 10. Will setup a dual boot with Linux Mint for when Windoze doesn't want to play!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote:Quick update, finally went for one of these: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X555LN/

Impressed so far, the 8GB of RAM keeps things snappy, even on Win 10. Will setup a dual boot with Linux Mint for when Windoze doesn't want to play!
Cannot see the specs on that link. I bought an Acer recently: VN7-571G-70VW, Aspire V 15 Nitro. 15 " screen, i7 chip, 8 GB Ram, 1,000 GB HD, NVIDA GTX 950M WITH 4 GB VRAM Graphics, backlit keyboard, 3 USB ports, DVD Drive. It is way ahead of me! Laptop was 29,000 Baht, plus Win 10 and Microsoft word added up to more than I wanted to spend. But my old Acer Travel Mate lasted over 10 years, so I thought it better to stick with Acer.

Interesting spec about the battery in the Asus? Not run across that before.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Very similar spec as that, but with an i5 chip. Got it in the UK for 420 GBP which worked out at about 22k at the time.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Have to say that I don't see the point of windows 10 unless you buy a touchscreen laptop.

Bought (in banana), a Lenovo with 4GB ram, i3 chip, Full HD (1920 screen), 1TB drive, GeForce graphics, USB 3 ports, etc etc for less than 17,000 last year. Works very well.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

W10 works fine with a mouse.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

fft100 wrote:Have to say that I don't see the point of windows 10 unless you buy a touchscreen laptop.
Sorry, I do not see the point of that. What does a touch seen have to do with an operating system? The last thing that I would want to be doing is stretching my arm out to put finger prints on the screen. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Agree, if you disable tablet mode and turn off all the annoying crap Win 10 behaves just like its predecessor (just a little more streamlined).
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

re. the last few posts.

I, personally, don't see the advantage of windows 10 over windows 7 unless your device is touch enabled. I have a windows 7 desktop which I would never need touch screen for - the screen is too far away to make it possible/comfortable to do. I don't intend to upgrade it as some aspects of windows 10 don't, for me, seem a step forward and make it more difficult to control the thing.

I also have a windows 10 laptop which is touch screen enabled. All applications can work without using the touchscreen (I can use wireless mouse, keyboard, touchpad etc), but in some situations it is so much easier to just scroll or select using your fingers. The extra flexibility is great. With a laptop there is no leaning forward. Until I bought the touchscreen enabled laptop I didn't realise how much easier some things would be, and now find it very hard to use other laptops without it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

23132010_2047287022173778_5256319625186436224_n.jpg

Above is what remains of that ASUS laptop I bought 18 months ago. Never again will I go near Asus laptops ...

So, back in the laptop market. The longest lasting one I ever had was an old brick of a thing from IBM - it went on forever, well over ten years. When they got bought out by Chinese Lenovo quality went down hill fast, my Lenovo only lasted 4 years. I've had an Acer which lasted just over 3 years before the graphics card failed twice costing me more than a new machine and now this dead Asus, just a baby at a year and a half.

I'm leaning strongly towards a Dell for my next purchase. I know the components inside are all the same but there does seem to be a little difference in quality with brands these days. Obviously I wont be buying it in Hua Hin as I refuse to pay the additional premium, Lazada has a few listed. Any other suggestions?
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

First I looked at Lazada and wrote down the prices of some Laptops. But most of them have no operating system (only DOS) and no programs. Then I went to the old shopping mall, upper floor, in Hua HIn and bought an Acer Laptop for the same price as Lazada but with Windows 10 and a lot of programs (also Microfsoft Office). I have it now about 1 year and I am very satisfied.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The lack of OS is not an issue, I can install W10 and Linux myself.

Good to know prices are the same though!
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

pitsch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 am First I looked at Lazada and wrote down the prices of some Laptops. But most of them have no operating system (only DOS) and no programs. Then I went to the old shopping mall, upper floor, in Hua HIn and bought an Acer Laptop for the same price as Lazada but with Windows 10 and a lot of programs (also Microfsoft Office). I have it now about 1 year and I am very satisfied.
The best one is the first on the left I think as you come out of the stairwell, they have some second hand bargains also, and best of all is the little repair corner they have for servicing and upgrading your laptop to latest Windows, office etc...Great shop.