Buying a new laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by Bluesky »

Nereus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:45 pm :shock: :shock: :shock:

best laptop.jpg
I think it is possibly mining a bite?? (Byte) sorry couldn't help that one! :D
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

should be missing a bite .....my bad!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Yeah, some really good information there.
Should I say MY BAD or mining a bite!
It's just as useful as a suitcase filled up with ' yes we lost the war', bit we love the combat!
Bite vs byte, is just a question about your brain size.
Or isn't it?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Bit vs byte on the other hand actually means something....
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Nereus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:45 pm :shock: :shock: :shock:

best laptop.jpg
best laptop.jpg is a photo of apple.

Not going to argue if it's the best laptop, that's for each user to decide. But what killed me from buying a Macbook Air for travel is how it implemented Apple's basic business strategy of price gouging once you're locked in. The power supply wire and connectors are wrapped with an environmental friendly material. One with poor durability, which is why no one else uses it. Apple power supplies have unique adapters, so every time it breaks, it's $75 to replace (or was the last time I checked). Good news is Apple products are everywhere, so every year you can easily find a replacement.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Every year ... :mrgreen:
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd say it is better to focus on spec rather than brand (but avoiding Asus and HP). I would consider Acer again, the one I had (Aspire 4520G) was known for graphics card problems, other than that it was a good machine. Don't want to spend more than 15k as I've been replacing them every 2-3 years on average.

Looks like the following would be viable:

CPU- i3 or AMD A8/A10
RAM- 4GB (I can upgrade to 8 with the RAM from the dead Asus)
HDD- 500GB (Don't really care as my data storage is not on the laptop)
Graphics- Would be nice to get a dedicated GPU but unlikely in this price range
Battery- Needs to be half decent, but most are these days
Wifi- This is important, the Asus had a shitty realtek wireless adaptor that was forever dropping out and had no Linux drivers
Screen- 14" is fine, I travel a lot so nothing too heavy or bulky

The Asus was an i5 with 8Gb, an expensive machine at over 20k, but still pretty slow and had issues from the start, I'm putting that down to Windoze 10 though. It ran ok on Linux Mint aside from the wifi problems.

These seem to fit the bill:
http://www.lazada.co.th/dell-v3565-w568 ... UwP&rb=261
http://www.lazada.co.th/lenovo-ideapad- ... =1&sc=EUwP
http://www.lazada.co.th/acer-nb-aspire- ... =1&sc=EUwP

The Acer has the best spec.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The Acer has the best spec, but "Sold out - in stock soon". Same unit 15,900 baht on advice.co.th.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The Acer is basically the same as I've bought 5 of recently. Once the bits inside are firmly connected, it's a great GP machine until you connect it to True Internet, at which point it takes on a sudden hatred of this forum. :twisted:

I bought the first one in Power Buy the second in Banana IT and the others at Invade (I think that was what it was called). Invade was the cheapest, but it was a few months later and they were on offer.

With the loose connections, I took them to Mr Don each time, and was back online within a couple of hours, so very quick fixes. Yes, I can hear you asking why I didn't use the warranty - Mr Don is fast and charges a couple of hundred Baht at best. I also trust him. The last time I had a laptop repaired under warranty here, it took a month. A no brainer in my opinion.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I assume that buying five was on the basis of you being a generous guy and sharing them with the family?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy wrote:The Acer is basically the same as I've bought 5 of recently. Once the bits inside are firmly connected, it's a great GP machine until you connect it to True Internet, at which point it takes on a sudden hatred of this forum. :twisted:

I bought the first one in Power Buy the second in Banana IT and the others at Invade (I think that was what it was called). Invade was the cheapest, but it was a few months later and they were on offer.

With the loose connections, I took them to Mr Don each time, and was back online within a couple of hours, so very quick fixes. Yes, I can hear you asking why I didn't use the warranty - Mr Don is fast and charges a couple of hundred Baht at best. I also trust him. The last time I had a laptop repaired under warranty here, it took a month. A no brainer in my opinion.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

hhinner wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 am The Acer has the best spec, but "Sold out - in stock soon". Same unit 15,900 baht on advice.co.th.
Other suppliers on Lazada have the same laptop but more expensive, 15,500 but if you use discount code KEPLER today it discounts 1,085 so 14,415 Baht. :cheers:

Edit: Forgot to post the link : http://www.lazada.co.th/notebook-acer-a ... b4zAb&ff=1
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Google laptops, under whatever your top price is, read the reviews by techs and buyers. That should give some iseas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am I've purchased 5 Acers in the last 12 to 15 months. Each one has had minor problems (well within Buksi's ability to rectify himself).

3 of them had loose connections, which needed re-affixing - each with weeks of purchase. One has been nobbled by power surges (twice) and lost it's boot path. 1 had a bad install of Windows, which just required a re-install. Outside of that, I'm well satisfied. For budget machines, they are working very well. For a no thrills laptop they are perfect.
It seems I lied. I assumed it was a bad Windows install, but another machine went with exactly the same symptoms today (immediately after a Windows update). I took it to Mr Don expecting a re-install of Windows, but he explained to me that there was a known problem with these machines and it was a problem with the graphics card. I've no idea what the problem is, but both times it has been fixed very quickly and cheaply.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

We will never, ever, buy an Acer again. We bought a notebook and it was trouble - the touch pad never worked properly from day one. Mr.VS said it couldn't be compared to an Essex girl because it had a mind of its own. He hates it so much he wants to throw into the nearest klong. :|

The quieter, gentler, and slower Asus that we have came with us all across Asia and Europe twice. She does nod off occasionally, but always wakes up and is raring to go again.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Fruity
Novice
Novice

Post by Fruity »

I would stick to either HP or Dell, minimum 8gb ram and a i5 processor.
Everything under that cuts of the lifetime and the computer will easily become slow and feel outdated fast.
Even tho lower specs will do the job.

Just make sure you remove unwantable bloatware after you have installed the PC.

HP and Dell have imo best touch after Apple's MAC and a better support than acer, asus, lenovo.