Buying a new laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by J.J.B. »

buksida wrote:My aging Lenovo Ideapad netbook is getting a little long in the tooth, very slow at just the basic functions, and I've had it for 4 years so time for an upgrade is approaching.
Does anyone have one of these hybrids and what are their views on it?

Thoughts on a postcard ...
I was given a Lenovo Helix through work about two years ago. The screen houses the computer and gubbins so is similar to a Version 1 iPad in dimensions, but perhaps a little heavier, and can be separated from the keyboard by pressing two side latches. The keyboard also houses a battery that runs the screen when clicked together so isn't light either. In Fact, my biggest reason to switch back to the previous ThinkPad X240 was the weight, which was really no different.

The screen was at 1080p resolution but that made everything very small when using it for Office applications and even though it was touchscreen I rarely used that functionality and noticed nearly all of my fellow, test-pilot colleagues used an external mouse since the track pad was pretty small too. In itself that was also a problem since there was minimal connectivity - just two USB 3 ports - so to connect most peripherals you either needed to use the Lenovo USB 3 dock that was provided by my firm or use the manufacturer-specific adapters. Since I know what a huge fan of Apple you are, Buksi :neener: , it will be the same as having to get the bespoke Thunderbolt to RJ45 adapter or Thunderbolt to VGA adapter and you never seem to have the one you need at the time.

I think I used it as a standalone tablet twice during the six month pilot, not because I am a Luddite but because most of what I do requires typing and unlike a dedicated tablet device, typing feels like an afterthought on these devices. The model was around £1,700 at the time and even though it had an SSD and 8GB RAM always seemed like an overpriced and under-powered gimmick. The only other thing I remember was that it always seemed to be running hot and the fans, which were far from silent, would come on and stay on within around one minute of startup.

If you're still keen to get one, send me a PM and we'll see what we can do. :thumb:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I have not seen Chromebooks onsale in HH,are they here anywhere?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I dont see any chromebooks for sale and I get blank looks or --Chromebook, no good, when i ask. Is the profit margin an sales too low?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I picked up an ad leaflet for IT City in the Hua Hin Shopping Mall, and it includes an Acer Chromebookfor 8,590 baht. I don't know whether that particular branch will actually have one in stock, but you could go see if interested.
Cheers.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Had a look in Powerbuy in Hua Hin but they have a very limited selection, mostly HP and Apple - neither of which I'd touch with a barge-pole.

I've narrowed it down to these two:
http://www.lazada.co.th/asus-zenbook-ux ... 56374.html

Love the thin form factor on this one, the SSD will be fast, but not too familiar with the CPU (Intel Core M-5Y10).

This was the other one:
http://www.lazada.co.th/asus-pu451ld-wo ... 92557.html

8Gb of RAM will rock with the Core i5, but it has a slow hard disk and is twice the weight and a fair bit larger than the top one.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am interested in the dealers and their support as I havv had horrible experiences in HH in this area--what do posters recommend in terms of dealers
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

If you can wait a while you should seriously consider this....http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/ ... rface-book
I'm currently in the US and can't wait for Monday (26th).
I am SOOOOO going to buy one of these......I've been and seen them in the flesh at Microsoft stores here, and it is stunning!
An incredibly powerful laptop and tablet all in one!
One of the beauties of this device lies in the fact that when the screen is detached to give you a tablet, you have a tablet running the same OS as the laptop you were just using......not some phone style OS as other products have.
This device will last you for years to come as windows 10 is being constantly upgraded....so will be your tablet and laptop
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ A seriously lot of money to pay for a computer - the spec I was looking at was well over 2K GBP/3K USD. Not too sure I'm prepared to pay that kind of money when there's quite a few alternatives out there.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

oakdale160 wrote:I am interested in the dealers and their support as I havv had horrible experiences in HH in this area--what do posters recommend in terms of dealers
Four years ago IT City smoothly handled a warranty claim. Their presence now is a shadow of their former self. Since then I've purchased at InvadeIT. They handled everything, including a warranty claim well (I'll never buy ASUS in Thailand again because of how poorly they handled their end of the claim).

Avoid Banana IT at all costs.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Thank you--where is invadelT?
Anyother advice as to recommended brands
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is very little to separate brands, it is just a logo and mostly personal preference. You should concentrate more on the spec inside the box; CPU, RAM, storage, battery life, screen size etc.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-lap ... de-2015-10

I own the only one that got a score of 10 out of 10 in the list and it is nearly a year old and I'd still give it an 11 out of 10. It's an amazing PC.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Name Taken wrote:
prcscct wrote:How about what they call a "Chromebook"? I spotted many of those made by Samsung, Toshiba, Lenovo while reading CNET trying to find something helpful for this thread. Prices seem much lower than other laptops, perhaps because they don't need to buy/install Windows.

Anyone have positive experience with Chrome ops? Pete

EDIT: Am I correct to assume Chromebooks can run Open Office avoiding the need for Microsoft Office expense?

EDIT#2: Seeing prices of $250-$350 it's almost reasonable just to buy one and see how it works with what you want to do. If not up to your expectations, you still have a spare machine that can surf the web.
I don't have any experience with the Chrome OS, but I don't think any PC games will work on a Chromebook. I think Chromebooks are just for web browsing.
Just noticed this post and have been using a Google Chrome netbook for about 3 months now. No problems at all (touch wood)
They aren't just for surfing, although I never run games and stuff anyway and don't need anything fancy, And yes, prices are low. Mine was a bargain in the UK at 125 pounds as an Argos special.
If you can live without a disc slot the netbook is worth looking at, and Google Chrome is simples to use.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

For things you can do offline with a Chromebook see https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 4688?hl=en.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

buksida wrote:There is very little to separate brands, it is just a logo and mostly personal preference. You should concentrate more on the spec inside the box; CPU, RAM, storage, battery life, screen size etc.
I need to replace my ageing Acer Aspire laptop which I bought 7 or 8 years ago and I have been happy with.

I only surf the web, read the news/forums/newspapers and download the occasional movie, all of which my current Acer handled. I don't write programmes/play games/use photoshop etc.

I'm not bothered about the latest model/fad etc as I expect to use it for 5 years at least so it will soon be outdated anyway.

So what size/speed CPU and RAM should I be looking for ? It's always plugged in to the mains so battery life isn't an issue for me.
Also should I be looking for one loaded with Windows 10 or what would be suitable ?

Thanks in advance, I need to make a purchase very soon!
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.