Any Apple Mac users ?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Indrid
Rookie
Rookie

The New 27 inch Retina iMac

Post by Indrid »

Well the new iMac 27 inch ( Retina Screen ) looks amazing :D
mac1.jpg
[Mod Edit] Link removed & images resized to comply with forum formats.

and the Mac Mini upgrade
mac2.jpg
Any one going to open their wallet and splash out Image
I'm not young so I don't know everything any more
gandalfinthai

Re: Any Apple Mac users ?

Post by gandalfinthai »

I have wondered about that myself. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find current software for 10.6 However, there is a lot I do not trust about Mavericks, especially the requirement to keep so much on the cloud rather than on the computer itself. And 10.6 is sooo stable!

I'm currently using 10.6.8 ( Snow Leopard ) but every now and then I wonder if I should update to Mavericks but then stumble across a comment from some one who has done the jump and is asking how to reverse back to 10.6.8 :roll:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I'm scratching my head about this one. I've used Mavericks (10.9.5 now) for 2 years and I have nothing on the Cloud except IMovie, Photos, Calendars and Reminders, and of course they all primarily reside on the host computer as well, not just in the Cloud. You can pick and choose what goes on the Cloud.

Regardless, Mavericks is the past as Yosemite 10.10 was released yesterday. I don't know the differences yet though. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Downloaded 10.10 Yosemite today and so far so good. No glitches, and the appearance is superior to Mavericks in terms of websites, desktop etc. Actually Firefox for Mac works much better than on Mavericks and is more visually pleasing. Will pass on any problems if/when found, and any other high points worth mentioning. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Forgot to mention. After you install it, go to Utilities>Disk Utility and run the "repair" and "verify" sections, including "permissions". What applies for your disks will be dark and allow you to click it. Mine found quite a few things to fix/adjust due to the new install of Yosemite. Nothing that hinders your system if not fixed, but good to clean up the stray bits and pieces regularly. Pete
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I haven't taken the plunge with Yosemite yet since not all of my third party apps and plug-ins are ready to run on it yet so I'd rather hold off. A good tip on the permissions maintenance, Pete, that I'm surprised isn't automated as part of the install.

One app that I find invaluable to keep my Macs zinging along is Cocktail: http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/, well worth looking at and investing in to take care of all of the maintenance stuff for you; less than $20.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde