The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 am This has nothing to do with email. The Facebook platform is the spammer as it profits out of putting spam/fake posts/pollution in front of you every day. People are getting blinded by the bubbles they're creating for themselves with targeted Facebook "news" feeds only showing them things that they agree with, scientific studies have proved this. Reading some of the rants about certain subjects from certain members in the current affairs section I tend to agree.
But who gets all this stuff, because I certainly don't.

I see some English / UK first stuff, but judging by the comments, I have a cousin who subscribes to them, but I just pass it by. Over the last couple of days, I have received a couple of 'suggested posts', one advertising some electrical stuff and the other a version of expat TV. I just checked the box that basically say's don't show me this crap anymore and it doesn't.

I can't recall ever seeing targeted news feeds, maybe I blocked them when they first appeared? The sponsored ads tend to be expat health insurance, pensions or watches and I just ignore those. Otherwise, everything I get is stuff from family, friends or the 5 facebook groups I belong to, of which 2 relate to Hua Hin and one of those is for the chop.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

It all depends where you live, what you click 'like' on, and what you comment on. Their algorithm is very smart ... smarter than the people using the site. This thread is just to highlight the flaws in the system and to remind people not to believe everything they read on farcebook - it is far more insidious than a few junk emails.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am The sponsored ads tend to be expat health insurance, pensions or watches and I just ignore those.
You've said before that you like watches - Facebook has obviously worked that out somehow because I don't know anybody else receiving watch adverts.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Facebook is a business, the purpose of business is to make a profit, hence, advertising. Complaining about advertising is a waste of energy. If you don't like social media sites don't use them. You can usually keep in touch with people via email and/or phone.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pmYou've said before that you like watches - Facebook has obviously worked that out somehow because I don't know anybody else receiving watch adverts.
Yes, I'm aware of that, what's different, is that fb throws a lot of different stuff in my direction, but I never click on any of it, if I want to look, I search elsewhere. Likewise, I will only click a like button for something I am happy to receive more information from.

What is worse for me, is other advertising. The other day, via a forum, I looked at a watch brand I had never heard of and quickly decided I never want to hear of it again, yet, on every newspaper and other sites I visit, up pops a bloody ad for the same watch brand and I can't get rid of it, despite visiting all the usual places that normally help in stopping such stuff. It's driving me nuts.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I don't know that two thirds of the UK population either subscribe to Facebook for its news (political or otherwise) , or believe everything they read. I think your are wildly extrapolating from basic statistics!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pmYou've said before that you like watches - Facebook has obviously worked that out somehow because I don't know anybody else receiving watch adverts.
Yes, I'm aware of that, what's different, is that fb throws a lot of different stuff in my direction, but I never click on any of it, if I want to look, I search elsewhere. Likewise, I will only click a like button for something I am happy to receive more information from.

What is worse for me, is other advertising. The other day, via a forum, I looked at a watch brand I had never heard of and quickly decided I never want to hear of it again, yet, on every newspaper and other sites I visit, up pops a bloody ad for the same watch brand and I can't get rid of it, despite visiting all the usual places that normally help in stopping such stuff. It's driving me nuts.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

caller wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:24 pm What is worse for me, is other advertising. The other day, via a forum, I looked at a watch brand I had never heard of and quickly decided I never want to hear of it again, yet, on every newspaper and other sites I visit, up pops a bloody ad for the same watch brand and I can't get rid of it, despite visiting all the usual places that normally help in stopping such stuff. It's driving me nuts.
This is a Google Adsense ad, it plants a cookie on your computer which follows you around the internet tracking what you're looking at and showing you ads from similar advertisers.

The problem with Facebook is not about the advertising, it is the use of spammy media/news bubbles to dumb people down - the algo only shows you what 'it thinks' you want to see - this is social manipulation at the highest level. If you believe the election stories, some are being won and lost by people's opinions and voting habits being blinkered to what social media feeds are pumping into their brains.

Maybe it is just 'devolution' and the people deserve it, either way it deserves more thought rather than blind acceptance.

Here is another interesting article:
Facebook claims it can reach more young people than exist in UK, US and other countries
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -countries

I'll 'unplug' from this argument now as it is evident that Facebook has replaced television for mind numbing the masses.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, with respect, I don't think it has mind numbed me in the least. I don't get any news from it! I don't even see the stuff you're talking about? Maybe I already blocked it?

I am aware of adsense and usually I can stop saturation of a certain ad, just doesn't seem to be working in this case.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:40 pm I'll 'unplug' from this argument now as it is evident that Facebook has replaced television for mind numbing the masses.
Ah, the only one who 'understands'. That sounds extremely condescending.

It wasn't an argument, it was a discussion, and most people who have contributed seem to understand exactly what Facebook (and other web-based media and search engines) does/do and (1) don't have a problem with it and (2) can think for themselves no matter what biased articles are thrown at them (in fact their irritation may make them even less likely to agree). I subscribe to things like the Guardian newspaper Facebook feed for just that purpose, to see what 'the enemy' want me to think. It's OK for you to point slanted news articles out (even though they exist everywhere), but not OK for you to insinuate that people who don't pee themselves about it are mind-numbed.

If the 'mind-control' was subliminal then I think you might have a case. but it's completely overt.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I have not been affected by, affected by, affected by, ssssssociuall media, at all, at all, at all.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Someone is finally saying what I've been thinking for a long time.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... e/30333758

Social media is destroying society, says former FB exec

A former Facebook executive admitted that he feels “tremendous guilt” over his work at the social networking service that he said was “ripping apart the social fabric of how society works”.

Former Facebook vice-president for user growth Chamath Palihapitiya accused Facebook of “programming” its users and said he no longer uses the social media platform or allows his children to use it.

“People need a hard break from some of these tools and the things that you rely on.

“The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we created are destroying how society works.......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 pm Someone is finally saying what I've been thinking for a long time.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... e/30333758

Social media is destroying society, says former FB exec

A former Facebook executive admitted that he feels “tremendous guilt” over his work at the social networking service that he said was “ripping apart the social fabric of how society works”.

Former Facebook vice-president for user growth Chamath Palihapitiya accused Facebook of “programming” its users and said he no longer uses the social media platform or allows his children to use it.

“People need a hard break from some of these tools and the things that you rely on.

“The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we created are destroying how society works.......
"Chamath talked about Facebook creating “huge tensions” between his friends and social circles, and about users falling for hoaxes on social media platforms that has led to lynchings and vigilantism."

Typical American quasi-psychological claptrap. He's a business suit, not a psychologist. Anyone who is 'affected' by using Facebook has issues far outweighing checking a social networking site. I only agree that an occasional break from social media is a good thing but it is in general not the devil that some people are making out.

Twitter on the other hand seems a nasty piece of work. But again, the answer is that if you say something stupid and 1000 anonymous people start to try to digitally lynch you including horrible abuse, just close your account and don't be stupid in future!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I could not agree more, Facebook and the likes are pure marketing tools design to draw you in and then entice you to buy. It is creating a brain dead generation of youth, and some older.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 am I could not agree more, Facebook and the likes are pure marketing tools design to draw you in and then entice you to buy. It is creating a brain dead generation of youth, and some older.
What, like advertising on TV and in newspapers? You're not aware that specific ads are designed for both those media and have been for over a generation to appear at certain times and to appear to certain watchers/readers who are likely to be 'enticed' to buy? :shock:

I don't like that certain people seem only to get their news and other important information from social media, but I think you should be aware that it is no less biased than most news media and TV channels. It's down to who owns the organ as to what you will be allowed to read or hear.