The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by handdrummer »

In other words, Orwell and Huxley were correct.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

An interesting read..... and a little worrying!

How Facebook's tentacles reach further than you think
Facebook's collection of data makes it one of the most influential organisations in the world. Share Lab wanted to look "under the bonnet" at the tech giant's algorithms and connections to better understand the social structure and power relations within the company.
A couple of years ago, Vladan Joler and his brainy friends in Belgrade began investigating the inner workings of one of the world's most powerful corporations.
The team, which includes experts in cyber-forensic analysis and data visualisation, had already looked into what he calls "different forms of invisible infrastructures" behind Serbia's internet service providers.
But Mr Joler and his friends, now working under a project called Share Lab, had their sights set on a bigger target.
"If Facebook were a country, it would be bigger than China," says Mr Joler, whose day job is as a professor at Serbia's Novi Sad University.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39947942
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Tentacles is a good word to describe Facebook's influence.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Latest report I saw ( from University in Serbia) was that if Facebook were a company it would be larger than China!!

Whatever we should be worried into the future
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been experimenting with the new Facebook facility of uploading a video to be used instead of a cover photo. When I go to the page, the sound works fine, but I can't get the video to play.

Has anybody been successful? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

[Edit] Anybody thinking of doing similarly, I'd suggest switching the sound off - it's really annoying :banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Junta mulls registering for facebook with ID number
Members of the junta-appointed reform committee said Tuesday that social media users need stricter identity verification methods to deter them from using it inappropriately.

Aimed at tightening the regulation of online platforms, the proposal approved by the National Reform Steering Committee on Monday upset internet users, after it suggested relevant agencies would ask Facebook to consider requiring ID Nos. to operate accounts.

“It is based on the assumption that people use social media in a damaging way because they can never be identified and tracked,” said Pisit Pao-in, the vice president of the media reform committee who wrote the proposal, on Tuesday.

Pisit, a former commander of the Technology Crime Suppression Division, said the idea was along similar lines to those of the social media company – which is also trying to verify user identification.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... ook-id-no/

"Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing." ― George Orwell
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

and HHF with its code-name posters is obviously scam network for rebels. All those posts about pies, fish and chips and the price of beer are just coded messages.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Facebook to test paid subscription news service
If you're used to getting the bulk of your news from Facebook, your news consumption habits may be about to change.

The world's largest social media platform is testing the waters for a subscription-based news product, Campbell Brown, the head of news partnerships at Facebook, said Tuesday at the Digital Publishing Innovation Summit in New York. Plans for the service, including erecting a paywall that would cut off nonsubscribers after they had accessed 10 articles, were first reported by TheStreet, which was in attendance at the industry conference.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-to-t ... h-paywall/

So they want you to pay to read news that you can get direct from the news website itself which may or may not be fake. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

newspeak, coming soon to a paid news source near you.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I was told last night by someone in the US that Facebook usage by those under 30 is and has been dropping like a stone for some time. I haven't seen anything in print that it may be turning into an old geezer app? :shock: I do know that Instagram, Snapchat, LINE and the like is more popular with the under 20 set, so perhaps it's true. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

prcscct wrote:
I was told last night by someone in the US that Facebook usage by those under 30 is and has been dropping like a stone for some time. I haven't seen anything in print that it may be turning into an old geezer app?
I mentioned this in another thread where someone said that he/she doesn't use the facebook as he/she isn't 14 anymore. Here in Finland the teenagers have left the facebook and this happened maybe 5-7 years ago. They have their instagrams, which I've too now joined and some other things, which I haven't. Facebook is left for us dinosaurs. Their are two reasons I particularly like fb 1. It's easy to tell your friends who live in different parts of the world what's going on and see about their lives as well. All in one post. 2. There are very good groups to follow that give you interesting information. For example I follow several sub-tai groups, history groups, teacher groups etc.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

^^ I'm in total agreement, it's ideal for keeping up-to-date with groups that don't have the resources or intention of setting-up a forum, which is not so easy. My daughter (18 this year) told me her and her friends ditched FB years ago and I really only use it to keep in touch with a handful of friends.

As for getting my news from FB? It would be the absolute last place I would go for anything credible or vaguely newsworthy.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Facebook's man in Thailand

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... n-Thailand

With 48 million users, Thailand is one of Facebook's top 10 countries in terms of accounts. Bangkok by itself has more Facebook users than any other city in the world.

John Wagner, managing director of Facebook in Thailand, is no stranger to the Land of Smiles. The 44-year-old can speak Thai after working here for more than two decades as a partner and managing director of Boston Consulting Group in Thailand. In that role, the American headed the marketing, sales and pricing practice and was a core leader of the technology, media and telecom practice in Southeast Asia.

Mr Wagner spoke to the Bangkok Post about Thailand's digital landscape and his role at the social media colossus.

Long Q&A article...................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

20882618_10155059202640756_8822546273481639021_n.jpg
20882618_10155059202640756_8822546273481639021_n.jpg (10.54 KiB) Viewed 662 times
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

FACEBOOK FOUNDER TO VISIT PRAYUTH LATER THIS MONTH
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg will be coming to Thailand later this month to meet Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, the deputy prime minister said.

At a Monday press conference, Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak said Zuckerberg would arrive Oct. 30 in Bangkok to meet Prayuth for talks about e-commerce.

“It’s a good opportunity for us that a global-level online entrepreneur is visiting. Online entrepreneurs in the United States and China are turning towards cooperating with ASEAN and opening branches in Singapore, Indonesia and Vietnam,” Somkid said. “Thailand is one of the countries being watched and considered for world partnerships.”

Somkid added that an executive from Amazon.com would also visit Prayuth for talks about e-commerce in mid-November.

In August, Prayuth opened his own Facebook page in what some say is an effort to appear more affable and approachable. Under his administration, various people have been charged for running Facebook pages criticizing the government or running polls mocking his often eccentric behavior.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017 ... ter-month/