The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

The scourge of Facebook

Post by oakdale160 »

My fb has been taken over by US right wing political postings. I get at least 10 posts from TeaPartyNews, every day and i'm not even american. I cannot remove them the usual unfriend mechanism does not work, others with better digital skills have tried with no luck. I could open another account but I have had it with fb. All I want to do is communicate with family and friends. I know there are alternatives out there, any recommendations.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Alternatives to Facebook

Post by kendo »

How about Skype or Tango.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Skype has a totally different function. Two parties talking at the same time. I am interested in one more like email where messages can be left and checked later.has my family is in a time zone 11 hours away, I need that.
PAINTER V2

Post by PAINTER V2 »

LINE APP, has a nice timeline function where you can post stuff.
Only invited contacts can see and post comments, plus as long as you have wifi, free txt, line and video calls, works well for me.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

oakdale160 wrote:Skype has a totally different function. Two parties talking at the same time. I am interested in one more like email where messages can be left and checked later.has my family is in a time zone 11 hours away, I need that.
How about... email? :D

Mind you you can leave messages with Skype to be picked up later.
Also remember that you're unlikely to be able to convince all your friends and family to move to a new system just because you're having problems with facebook.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

How about something like Viber or WeChat? Can use like Skype or send voice messages atc. to be picked up later.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's a new social network named ELLO directly competing (or trying to) with FB, but without the advertising or tracking. Google it for info.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I think you should enjoy those Tea Party postings and urge your American friends to vote conservative... :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Pleng wrote:
oakdale160 wrote:Skype has a totally different function. Two parties talking at the same time. I am interested in one more like email where messages can be left and checked later.has my family is in a time zone 11 hours away, I need that.
How about... email? :D
Works for me! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

prcscct wrote:There's a new social network named ELLO directly competing (or trying to) with FB, but without the advertising or tracking. Google it for info.
ELLO is invite only from what I understand.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

oakdale160 wrote:My fb has been taken over by US right wing political postings. I get at least 10 posts from TeaPartyNews, every day and i'm not even american. I cannot remove them the usual unfriend mechanism does not work, others with better digital skills have tried with no luck. I could open another account but I have had it with fb. All I want to do is communicate with family and friends. I know there are alternatives out there, any recommendations.
If you hover over the add/post in the upper right corner you can click up there and a drop screen should come down. You can then click on 1 of the options. You can do this with adds or if people are posting crap you don't want to see you can take care of that to.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

There should be a small 'Arrow Down' like this > pointing down, in the top right hand corner of the post. Click this and you get a drop down menu. Within this menu you should see something like
'Unfollow (name of poster) Click this ...........Job Done.

Regards
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Thank you robcar, that seems to help
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Facebook SUCKS

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

I have been active on FB for three years, compiling topical photo albums and making friends
with like-minded FB users.

It all seems to have come a cropper. :cry:

A hostile hacker or perhaps FB employee has installed a nasty computer bug
that practically amounts to a permanent lockout. :cuss:

I am asked to 'unpublish' a racist logo that I definitely did NOT post on any FB page.
Then I am asked to 'unpublish' a page that I definitely did NOT set up. :cuss:

The catch-22 however is that when I click on 'Yes' for 'Unpublish', it's not registered,
and I keep on being asked to decide for one of the two options. :banghead:

This type of FB bug is not covered by any of the FB help pages.

I have written a letter to their head office, but there has been no reaction so far.
Obviously FB does not care about customer satisfaction, and customer friendliness
is anathema to them. :cuss:

There is a life before and after Facebook! Though I hate having to part from my FB 'friends'. :(

Any similar negative experiences? - I am sure!

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The popular social media ap in Asia is "Line"
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?