The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by oakdale160 »

I am not sure that their reluctance to be war-ready is to be critisised.
On the other handI cant help wondering how much resistance the army would offer if there was a serious confrontation with a well disciplined army. A Thai/China war, perhaps 5, tops 10 minutes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An interesting one today...........................

I've got a friend touring the Philippines at the moment. He's been posting the usual touristy photos, and has been receiving the usual likes. 12 hours ago, he posted something about terrorist being seen in the area where he is staying - he received no reaction. Not surprising as nobody saw it.

He made a comment about how amazing people are - liking photos of sunsets, but no reaction to his news about active terrorists in his location. It became apparent that nobody had seen his terrorist post.

He posted it again, but it was invisible to anybody but my friend. Remember, his other posts are getting through no problem. There must be some sort of immediate censorship filter that Facebook posts are passing through before being released to the world.

[Edit] The censored article:
terror.jpg
terror.jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

That is because they are Islamic terrorists.

If they were "right-wing" terrorists it Facebook would not have censored the post!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

What???!!!
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Fairly obvious!

Facebook & Twitter actively censor and ban people whose comments do not fit in with their ideological viewpoint.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Whether it's men in the Moon, Islamic terrorists or whatever; what happened was really quick. It appears on my friend's timeline for his personal viewing, but is stopped from going anywhere else. He also tried to PM the article to me. The message was received instantly, but the item was removed:
Keith2.jpg
Keith2.jpg (16.1 KiB) Viewed 1556 times

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Its important to remember Facebook, Twitter, etc, are not governmental agencies. Therefore have all the rights to censor whatever is put on their sites.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't use Facebook but are they blocking the link or the actual content? Do they ever censor the text of what you post on there?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is my first encounter of instant censorship. The fact is, the item still shows on my friend's page, which made him believe his post was fine. Likewise with the subsequent message, the content still shows on his version of the message. So in all cases, the poster is unaware.

It was a link, which is readily available on the Internet.

RCer, I have no problem with censorship, but I found this very interesting that things are being caught/dealt with immediately. If we take this forum as an example, we have to edit posts sometimes, but there is no way it could be picked up that quickly.

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

BB,

Wasn't specifically addressing your post, sorry. It was just a general comment.

As for FB and others, they pay people big money to write algorithyms that scan every word written and can instantly block things.

Once the post or send button is clicked, its out of the author's hands.

I've had the same frustrations with them regardinf attachments. Looks fine on my end, but nobody can see it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy, could you expand on that comment, "I have no problem with censorship."? that's the stock in trade of all totalitarian governments used to control the population and stop any unfavorable information from being published.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are times when things have to be withheld from the public eye. In this case the article was about the presence of terrorists active in the area. If the authorities were in active pursuit of the criminals, I can understand not wanting to give them the upper hand by knowing that they are being watched/tracked.

Likewise, keeping military operations secret can save many lives, and go a long way towards success. If this kind of thing is leaked, it needs to be stamped upon immediately.

However, in this case, it was an article in a local rag that was being tracked. I was impressed at the speed it was intercepted (several times), but the action in this case seemed pretty futile while the article was still in a local rag. An explanation of what has been censored should also be given. My friend tried various way to get his message across until he was successful. If they could intercept his messages so quickly, why couldn't they drop him a note at the same time saying we have intercepted your message because....................

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have nothing to do with Farcebook, or any intention to do so. But as posted by RCer they are using some of the most sophisticated algorithms on the Internet. The subject has recently been on cable TV and also reported that it is probably the highest capitalised company in the world, employing the brightest brains in IT.

https://www.singlegrain.com/social-medi ... algorithm/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

REGIME THREATENS FACEBOOK WITH COMPUTER CRIME ACT
Government regulators have threatened legal action against Facebook if it does not block 131 items deemed insulting to the monarchy by Tuesday.

On the same day the Army Cyber Center claimed success in tackling offending online content, the telecommunications regulator on Thursday said Facebook representatives would be summoned to meet with the authorities if they don’t take action on another 131 URLs deemed defamatory by Tuesday, Matichon reported.

Takorn Tantasith, the top executive at the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, or NBTC, said Thai internet service providers have been cooperating by blocking 6,300 web pages per court order.

However, there are 600 items they have been unable to block because they are encrypted and reside on servers abroad.

Of the 600 pages, 309 items belong to Facebook. The rest belong to Google and YouTube, which had reportedly been made unavailable in Thailand by Thursday.

Facebook says it will take action on valid government requests supported by a court order. In recent years it has blocked a number of items from users in Thailand. According to its limited disclosure of such requests, it blocked 40 items in the second half of 2016, up from 10 items in the first half of the year.

The Thai ISP association told the commission last week it sent a request asking Facebook to comply with the court order on May 3. The California-based company has so far only removed 178 links, it said, without explanation for the remaining 131 URLs.

Should the social media giant refuse to comply with the law, the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society say it will press charges against the company under the Computer Crime Act.

According to commission guidelines, ISPs can either wait until a court order is issued to block content or do so at their own discretion without any court order or government request.

Upon seizing power in 2014, the military government made a priority of prosecuting royal defamation cases, saying they pose a threat to national security. Critics say it has used defense of the monarchy as a pretense to suppress dissent and criticism in public and online.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... crime-act/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Haha....I'd love to see what happens to the country if they blocked Facebook for a 4 days.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol