The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by StevePIraq » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Maybe my statement was not clear, I do not believe FB and other "social" networks were developed for their stated purpose, they were developed as a marketing tool.
FB and the likes, one could even say HHAD forum are killing true meaningful communication.
TV and newspapers do not use software to monitor your every move and post. Maybe I put photos of motorbike on FB then all I see are adverts of motorbikes and bike clubs. It is all about marketing.

I also have great concern that youngsters believe they really have thousands of friends when they do not. I have two daughters who sit in the same room commenting to each other over FB instead of communicating directly face to face not FB to FB.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by 404cameljockey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:57 am

OK I do follow you, yes I think for a long time Facebook has been a marketing tool, open to use by the whole world of commerce for its gain. But I don't believe that software being used to direct advertising is the great evil. And it does help me stay close to people I don't see from one year to the next but need in my life, better than phone calls or even video calls, which of course I also use. If kids are using social media to talk too each other rather than get up and walk into another room it's just an example of their bone-laziness. I flatly refuse to believe that it's actually 'taking the place of face-to-face communication'. My kids have grown up with social media, my son is 30 now and you won't find someone who more loves to meet and chat with people, he's ultra-sociable (drives me mad sometimes). But when he's in his apartment he and his g/f will be face deep in their mobile phones or watching tv. :D

If there's evidence that Facebook is being used for dark purposes that would be different, but knowing what person likes merchandise-wise and reinforcing that preference isn't evil. "If you liked that, you'll love these", it's an old, old way of selling. And as far as politics etc. goes, I can only say again that if you buy a certain newspaper then you are reinforcing your own beliefs anyway. It's up to each individual to ensure they get a balanced view, don't blame the peddlers of information who all have their own agenda.

Simply, social media have not been devised as some mad scheme to take over the world, just to make communication easier. And of course business will take advantage of that too, it's just that Facebook is the most overt example of it.

I really believe this discussion (not just here but in the world in general) is just grumpy old people stuck in the 'in my day' scenario. :cheers: