The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by StevePIraq »

Maybe my statement was not clear, I do not believe FB and other "social" networks were developed for their stated purpose, they were developed as a marketing tool.
FB and the likes, one could even say HHAD forum are killing true meaningful communication.
TV and newspapers do not use software to monitor your every move and post. Maybe I put photos of motorbike on FB then all I see are adverts of motorbikes and bike clubs. It is all about marketing.

I also have great concern that youngsters believe they really have thousands of friends when they do not. I have two daughters who sit in the same room commenting to each other over FB instead of communicating directly face to face not FB to FB.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

OK I do follow you, yes I think for a long time Facebook has been a marketing tool, open to use by the whole world of commerce for its gain. But I don't believe that software being used to direct advertising is the great evil. And it does help me stay close to people I don't see from one year to the next but need in my life, better than phone calls or even video calls, which of course I also use. If kids are using social media to talk too each other rather than get up and walk into another room it's just an example of their bone-laziness. I flatly refuse to believe that it's actually 'taking the place of face-to-face communication'. My kids have grown up with social media, my son is 30 now and you won't find someone who more loves to meet and chat with people, he's ultra-sociable (drives me mad sometimes). But when he's in his apartment he and his g/f will be face deep in their mobile phones or watching tv. :D

If there's evidence that Facebook is being used for dark purposes that would be different, but knowing what person likes merchandise-wise and reinforcing that preference isn't evil. "If you liked that, you'll love these", it's an old, old way of selling. And as far as politics etc. goes, I can only say again that if you buy a certain newspaper then you are reinforcing your own beliefs anyway. It's up to each individual to ensure they get a balanced view, don't blame the peddlers of information who all have their own agenda.

Simply, social media have not been devised as some mad scheme to take over the world, just to make communication easier. And of course business will take advantage of that too, it's just that Facebook is the most overt example of it.

I really believe this discussion (not just here but in the world in general) is just grumpy old people stuck in the 'in my day' scenario. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Apple CEO becomes latest tech bigwig to warn of social media’s dangers
Apple CEO Tim Cook is the latest in a series of tech entrepreneurs and c-level executives to warn of the potential risks of social media.

Speaking in the UK on Friday, Cook said:
I don’t have a kid, but I have a nephew that I put some boundaries on. There are some things that I won’t allow; I don’t want them on a social network.

He didn’t stop at social media. Cook also said he didn’t believe in the idea that the best technologies are those we become obsessed with. “I don’t believe in overuse [of technology]. I’m not a person that says we’ve achieved success if you’re using it all the time,” he said. “I don’t subscribe to that at all.”

Cook joins a multitude of tech personalities in recent years worrying about the negative impact of technology, and social media in particular, on our lives. Sean Parker, Facebook’s first president, admitted last year that he’d helped Mark Zuckerberg build “a monster,” stating: “God only knows what it’s doing to our children’s brains.”

Another former Facebook exec, Chamath Palihapitiya, told a group at Stanford Graduate School of Business that the social network could be “destroying how society works” through “short-term, dopamine-driven, feedback loops.”

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2018/01/20 ... s-dangers/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

If Cook were uncle to my child I'd be telling him to butt out and learn about boundaries. :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

Facebook acknowledges social media's risks to democracy
Facebook acknowledged Monday that widespread use of social media can be harmful to democracy, while pledging to work to minimize these risks.

The world's biggest social network's comments were the latest response to persistent criticism for its role in allowing the spread of misinformation, reinforcing "filter bubbles" and facilitating harassment of dissidents and activists.

"Now, we're as determined as ever to fight the negative influences and ensure that our platform is unquestionably a source for democratic good," said Katie Harbath, Facebook's head of global politics and government outreach, in a statement.

Facebook civic engagement chief Samidh Chakrabarti said in a blog post the social network was "far too slow to recognize how bad actors were abusing our platform" and that the company is now "working diligently to neutralize these risks.

"The "hard questions" blog post was part of an effort by Facebook to reboot its image after last week's announcement indicating it would call on its users to "rank" the trustworthiness of sources as part of an effort to stem the flow of false news.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30336950
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Eight reasons Facebook has peaked
On the surface, Facebook is one of the most successful commercial propositions in the history of business. Its market capitalisation is today over half a trillion dollars. Shares are six times more valuable today than five years ago. Though they trade at a lower price to its forward earnings multiple than at any time since Facebook went public, in 2012, the overall picture is one of astonishing growth and wealth.

As the unmissable Miles Johnson wrote in the Financial Times yesterday: "The social network… is increasing revenues at more than 50 per cent a quarter and earnings per share at more than 70 per cent, making its profitability and growth light-years ahead of the average US-listed company".

That analysis comes in an article which suggests that, for now, Facebook is "valued at a discount to the wider market despite giddy growth". As short-term advice for investors, this strikes me as correct.

Yet the medium and longer-term picture look very different. In fact, Facebook is accumulating enemies and challenges at such a rate that its horizons have suddenly become somewhat clouded.

1/ A drop in users
2/ A drop in engagement
3/ Advertiser enmity
4/ Disinformation and fake news
5/ Former executives speak out
6/ Regulatory mood is hardening
7/ GDPR
8/ Antagonism with the news industry

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42974551
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am Facebook acknowledges social media's risks to democracy
Facebook acknowledged Monday that widespread use of social media can be harmful to democracy, while pledging to work to minimize these risks.

The world's biggest social network's comments were the latest response to persistent criticism for its role in allowing the spread of misinformation, reinforcing "filter bubbles" and facilitating harassment of dissidents and activists.

"Now, we're as determined as ever to fight the negative influences and ensure that our platform is unquestionably a source for democratic good," said Katie Harbath, Facebook's head of global politics and government outreach, in a statement.

Facebook civic engagement chief Samidh Chakrabarti said in a blog post the social network was "far too slow to recognize how bad actors were abusing our platform" and that the company is now "working diligently to neutralize these risks.

"The "hard questions" blog post was part of an effort by Facebook to reboot its image after last week's announcement indicating it would call on its users to "rank" the trustworthiness of sources as part of an effort to stem the flow of false news.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30336950
Sheesh, social media can actually be more harmful to totalitarian regimes which is why they try to abolish or at best control it. Why can't people stop only saying that social media is harmful and concentrate on promoting its beneficial use, which exist even in democracies?

This thread gets a rise out of me every time I read a new comment on it.

PS - anyone who believes anything the BBC says now has problems. :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

3 world conflicts Facebook has been blamed for this year

SINCE the arrival of Facebook in our lives all those years ago, the world has changed dramatically and the social media platform has undoubtedly had its part to play in that.

Over the years, it has been blamed for all sorts of things from the … to the bizarre, including divorce, syphilis, depression, and even, loftily, the “ripping apart” of society.

But there have been several new charges levelled at the platform that point to its unbridled influence and potential for weaponization in the wrong hands. In recent months, Mark Zuckerberg has had to contend with accusation ranging from the triggering social unrest, election of a president and even possible genocide.

Here are some of the most extreme charges thrown at the social media giant this year (and it’s only March):

Rohingya Crisis – Burma (Myanmar)
“I’m afraid that Facebook has now turned into a beast,” said UN special rapporteur for Myanmar Yanghee Lee on Tuesday.

The United Nations has singled out the platform for its “determining role” in the ongoing Rohingya crisis, which has seen almost 700,000 refugees flee the country into neighbouring Bangladesh.

Duterte vs critics – Philippines
Social media, and predominantly Facebook, has been dubbed President Rodrigo Duterte’s most powerful weapon. Not only can it be credited with facilitating his election victory, but also with helping him oust opponents and shutdown critical media.

After developing a Facebook-savvy army of supporters – named the Duterte Die-Hard Supporters, or simply DDS – to spread his campaign pledges and fight dirty to get their man elected, Duterte then integrated some of those divisive figures in his administration.

Kandy Riots – Sri Lanka
A Facebook team met with the Sri Lankan prime minister on Thursday after his government accused the social media platform of failing to control rampant hate speech that it says contributed to anti-Muslim riots that left three people dead and the country under a state of emergency.

During the violence, the government took the unprecedented step of blocking the app across the country, fearing incendiary content would incite further damage.

Full story: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2018/03/ ... HwTzD28.97
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is influencing many, many things - Brexit, and the last UK General Election to name 2 that spring immediately to mind.

Spin doctors are going to have to become skilled in Facebook.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Facebook isn't influencing anything.

It's those using it and who are influenced by what they read that count.

To me, it's no different to any other outlet that tries to influence us, whether the print / online news media, blogs, websites - even my nephew, a GP - was surprised to learn that what he thought was an independent website reporting on the NHS, was indirectly wholly funded by Labour supporting groups.

And the list goes on.

Facebook is probably currently the most effective tool there is right now to get your message across. Control it as much as you like, but something else will come along to replace it.

To my mind, if you are influenced by something on FB, you fall into three categories. The first being you broadly already support whatever is seeking to influence you, or if no prior knowledge, you don't have either the nounce or the time to check the accuracy of whatever is seeking to influence you, or you already well versed on the subject and need no influencing, however extreme the views being put forward.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Facebook rocked by data breach scandal as investigations loom
Facebook shares plunged Monday as the social media giant was pounded by criticism at home and abroad over revelations that a firm working for Donald Trump's presidential campaign harvested and misused data on 50 million members.

Calls for investigations came on both sides of the Atlantic after Facebook responded to explosive reports of misuse of its data by suspending the account of Cambridge Analytica, a British firm hired by Trump's 2016 campaign.

Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar and Republican John Kennedy called for Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg to appear before Congress, along with Google and Twitter's CEOs.

The lawmakers said the companies "have amassed unprecedented amounts of personal data" and that the lack of oversight "raises concerns about the integrity of American elections as well as privacy rights."

Facebook's chief of security Alex Stamos said his role has shifted to focusing on emerging risks and election security at the global social network.

Stamos revealed the change after The New York Times reported that he was leaving Facebook in the wake of internal clashes over how to deal with the platform being used to spread misinformation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30341329
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

buksida wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm Facebook rocked by data breach scandal as investigations loom
Facebook shares plunged Monday as the social media giant was pounded by criticism at home and abroad over revelations that a firm working for Donald Trump's presidential campaign harvested and misused data on 50 million members.

Calls for investigations came on both sides of the Atlantic after Facebook responded to explosive reports of misuse of its data by suspending the account of Cambridge Analytica, a British firm hired by Trump's 2016 campaign.
It's not fake news. It's contrived outrage. When obomber did it, not only was there was no scandal, the new york times magazine ran a feature subtitled 'The Obama Campaign’s Digital Masterminds Cash In'. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/magaz ... sh-in.html
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What is the best alternative to FB?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:50 am What is the best alternative to FB?
If you looking to secure your online presence don't go online. Everything that you put online is available to anyone, anywhere, anytime. If all you're interested in is social media, twitter works as well as anything.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:50 am What is the best alternative to FB?
I really wouldn't get too hung up about it. Most of us are of no interest to anyone and I can think of many sources of information that might have more data on you that has the potential to be damaging.

Had a mobile phone from the UK? Had an issue with trying to cancel your account and it never went smoothly? You've probably got a red mark against you on your credit rating. Had issues with more than one phone company? You might have more than one red mark against you and although you subsequently managed to get everything sorted out, they don't bother to remove the red mark, unless you push it.

The good news is that credit suppliers are well aware of the issues with mobile phone companies and might choose to ignore such warnings if everything else on your credit rating is tickety-boo. The operative word is might.
Talk is cheap