3BB internet speed and problems

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: 3BB Internet Speed

Post by Big Boy »

:wink: :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Farang
Ace
Ace

Re: 3BB Internet Speed

Post by Farang »

I promised to revert as soon as the problem is fixed, but have tarried, sorry for that.
The internet address on 3BB website is for a department that does not reply nor react to customer sent email! That took some finding out. However, once I got that sorted out things started to happen fast and efficiently. The gentlemen of 3BB came to my house twice to sort the mess out. Everything was OK while they were here, the problem - intermittently broken connection to ISP - did not, of course, materialize while the engineers were present. Second time around they measured the cable and that's where the fault was: on the ethernet cable between computer and route for some reason kept on disengaging randomly the connection.

It now is fixed and I enjoy good speed with no interruptions again. Once they got going, the 3BB was polite and efficient throughout it all. So, for the time being, I'll stay with them.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

3BB Follies

Post by Ratsima »

Since last Thursday morning I've been unable access my own website via 3BB, my ISP here in Korat. I called, but they seem to have no clue. I can get it with a proxy or via DTAC, so I know it's not a host problem. A network engineer was supposed to call this morning, but....

Last time this happened it was due to a routing error. 3BB was never able to solve it so I had a network engineer from my web host call and help out. It was fixed immediately.

Now I can't get them to give me an engineer's phone number, so I'm at the mercy of incompetence.

I see TOT is pulling fiber in our moo baan, so I guess it's time to switch....
buksida

Re: 3BB internet speed and problems

Post by buksida »

3BB are notorious for DNS caching issues which prevent some sites loading but allow others. Then there is the implementation of the single gateway to add into the mix.

As a TOT Fibre user I can tell you it is not much better.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Last time it was because they set up their routing tables to use asynchronous routing. My guess is that it's the same this time, but I can't know for sure.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:3BB are notorious for DNS caching issues which prevent some sites loading but allow others. Then there is the implementation of the single gateway to add into the mix.

As a TOT Fibre user I can tell you it is not much better.
Sorry to disagree Buks, but I had TOT Fibre installed a couple of weeks ago and so far its been happy sailing, hope that isn't a jinx!!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

The honeymoon period usually is - I think they put all new customers on a super-fast package for the first month or so (as was mine then), then ramp it back down to a crapola connection after (as is mine now).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

3BB MTU

Post by Ratsima »

What MTU is optimum for a 3BB ADSL connection? My notes indicate that they told me to use 1432. However, I did some testing yesterday which indicated that I could use a higher number:

Code: Select all

mnewman$ ping -D -s 1452 mgnewman.com
PING mgnewman.com (124.217.255.131): 1452 data bytes
1460 bytes from 124.217.255.131: icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=300.481 ms
1460 bytes from 124.217.255.131: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=270.209 ms
I set it at 1480 which seems to be fine.

Any ideas?
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Internet speed on3BB ADSL has dropped this morning from soi 102 from around 14.5 Mbps down /.95 up on an average 40ms ping
Best this afternoon is 3.54 down with .19 up 299ms ping. Worst ping today on latency was 720ms.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

How are you measuring bandwidth and latency?
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Ookla speed test through single LAN connection to Apple iMac unnecessary background programs closed. . WLAN shut down for test. Lost everything for a while this afternoon rang 3bb who also confirmed a line problem wrt speed and will advise tech accordingly. Previously had similar problem with IP conflict as a result of a porting issue at 3bb end. Tonight working again but still with major speed variance. Thinking to invest in carrier pigeons for backup...
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-