Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by BaaBaa. »

Just bear in mind the Tesco version has slightly modded software, it might be worth paying a little extra for a completely Vanilla handset. For instance, Tesco might stop updating the software, Google will upgrade their 'own' handsets for years.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Very expensive, but I guess if you work on a drilling rig, cargo ship or similar it makes sense. Pete :cheers:

Panasonic returns to smartphone arena with Toughpad handset for corporate clients

http://news.yahoo.com/panasonic-returns ... ector.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nokia makes Android smartphone despite Microsoft bid

http://news.yahoo.com/nokia-makes-andro ... 45452.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....and yet another new entry......

Blackberry to launch sub-$200 smartphone

http://news.yahoo.com/blackberry-launch ... ector.html
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I read an article about the Galaxy S5 today and it sounds like the be all to end all.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Paul888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Paul888 »

Oppo is a great phone. I had it for 6 month and I just love it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhfarang wrote:I read an article about the Galaxy S5 today and it sounds like the be all to end all.
Until they bring out the S6 next year :wink:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Here's a direct comparison between the new Iphone 5s and the Galaxy S5 specs. It appears to me that the Samsung offering wins (pretty convincingly) in nearly every category.
Phones.jpg
Phones.jpg (19.84 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Phones2.jpg
Phones2.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Dannie Boy wrote:
hhfarang wrote:I read an article about the Galaxy S5 today and it sounds like the be all to end all.
Until they bring out the S6 next year :wink:
Or the Note 4 late autumn this year for us that prefer a big screen... ;-)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I wonder if it'll be any cheaper, a 64gb, unlocked Iphone 5S costs 750 euro's here!
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

STEVE G wrote:I wonder if it'll be any cheaper, a 64gb, unlocked Iphone 5S costs 750 euro's here!
I saw the recommended retail price (unlocked) without any vendor rebates in Norway to be NOK 5995 or about €721 / ฿32.200. But I see that I can pre-order the phone in the web shop of the biggest computer and phone retailer in Norway at NOK 5795 or €697 / ฿31155.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know Lithium batteries have a built in protection to prevent them getting destroyed when totally discharged but does anyone elses smartphone power off when there is 15% remaining?

It'll count down from 15% to 0% in about 30 seconds then shut itself off.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think that's down to the discharge characteristics of Lithium-Iron batteries, they tend to give you a pretty consistent voltage output until they get below about 20% capacity and then fall off quite rapidly. It's quite difficult to measure the actual capacity of a battery, you can calculate from usage and measure the voltage but that's about it realistically.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Mine doesn't do that or at least I have an ap that makes me think it doesn't. It's called Du Battery Saver and it tells me exactly how much battery time I have left as a percentage. I'll drive it down to 1% and still play another game of Backgammon until the phone shuts itself down due to total battery drainage.

It lets you set how your phone uses battery power at percentage points of battery life so you can extend as the battery gets lower.
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

I use an app called Battery Doctor that among other things, gives me a fairly detailed list over how much power the various running apps consume. So it is easy to find any power hogs and uninstall them.