VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: VPN Recommendations

Post by StevePIraq »

I have been using PIA for a few years, never a problem, can access just about anything. I have the occasional issue with BBC videos but not much else.
Two year access $70 special

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I've used WiTopia for 11-12 years and they are superb in all respects. You can use it for absolutely everything. If BBC block one of their IP addresses they will provide you with fresh ones inside a few hours (in my experience). Also live online support.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/witopia
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks guys, will look into the suggestions - have tried those review sites but they're full of affiliate links so cant really be taken seriously.

Anyone tried PureVPN?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I and several others are telling you from personal recommendation?

Edit: Actually, thinking about this, you need to say whether you want to use it a lot or a little. If you don't mind paying a little, is that over $50 a year, or less?
Last edited by 404cameljockey on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 am Thanks guys, will look into the suggestions -
Edit: heavy use, I see most are priced in the same range, around $70 for two years - no problems with that.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

You won't get a premium VPN for $35 a year, but you may get a useable one. IMO PureVPN is not premium, which is why it's cheap. When you research you will see for yourself, but if you consider PC World impartial, here's just one reason not to go PureVPN. As the article says correctly, you have to be able to trust your VPN:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3219730 ... eview.html
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ I don't use a paid VPN service but if I did and I was worried about security and privacy and wanted access to US sites I might be more inclined to want a provider with a virtual US server based in a European country, where privacy and data laws are very strong, rather than a real US server within federal security services jurisdiction. Also might prefer the company itself to be based in another jurisdiction.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

buksida wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 am Thanks guys, will look into the suggestions - have tried those review sites but they're full of affiliate links so cant really be taken seriously.

Anyone tried PureVPN?
I use purevpn til end off may but will change them ,to expressvpn,as they only have P2P protocol in DK so I can't see everything on tv ,and thats one of the main reason I wan't it.The same goes with Nordvpn,but you can see which protocol there is for each country,and they have a nice 3 years deal and 30 days monye back quarenty as well

expressvpn allso have a 30 days monye back quarenty

:cheers: :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I won't beat the drum any more after this post, but WiTopia have many hundreds of servers for you to choose from in I believe over 70 countries (including China), offer a choice of protocols and also encryption methods, and I have never experienced a moment of downtime on any of their services in over 10 years. I won't be changing any time soon.

They gave me 3 IP addresses to use in the UK via 3 different protocols, to avoid BBC's connection blocking.

https://www.personalvpn.com/support/why-witopia/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ok, have narrowed it down to these four ...

NordVPN, $79 2 years, - 3655 servers, 61 countries, 6 devices
ExpressVPN, $99 1 year, - 2000 servers, 148 locations, 5 devices
PIA, $69 2 years, - 3000 servers, 28 countries, 5 devices
Witopia, $50 1 year, - n/a servers, 45 countries, 5 devices

There isn't much between them price-wise, but Express is the most expensive. I like the idea of the reliable support with Witopia, something completely lacking with hosting companies. Nord also looks pretty solid with a lot of servers and six logins.
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

Nord VPN looks great with its 2 year deal.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

mariad wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:18 pm Nord VPN looks great with its 2 year deal.

I got a 3 years deal for 99 usd.

https://nordvpn.com/special/deal/?msclk ... 0-%20Brand

mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

That is a great deal you got.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

mariad wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:04 pm That is a great deal you got.
yes and it works much better for danish tv than purevpn i used before,and their support was brilliant when i had a problem with some settings on my computer