The computer and software security thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: WannaCry: How to stay safe from the deadly ransomware if you own a Windows PC

Post by PET »

Yes and all because a TOOL from the USA's NSA ( or some name) allowed it to get stolen!!!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Jack Sprat

Re: WannaCry: How to stay safe from the deadly ransomware if you own a Windows PC

Post by Jack Sprat »

Not too long ago there was a discussion on this forum about whether to update your computer or not.
I pointed out that I always apply updates as soon as they are available, and never have any issues because of this.
Yesterdays news re-ransomware (13/05/2017) is a glaring example of why you should always keep your computer up-to-date.
I am writing this today, exactly because, I've kept my system updated.....period!

From the BBC news website......

EternalBlue was made public on 14 April, and while Microsoft had fixed the problem a month prior to its leak, it appeared many high-profile targets had not updated their systems to stay secure.

Outdated systems

Others focused the blame at institutions for being too slow in updating their systems, given that this attack happened almost two months after a (free) fix was made available by Microsoft.
buksida

Re: The computer and software security thread

Post by buksida »

Or use a far superior operating system such as Linux! :thumb:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

How will wannacrypt affect Thailand on Monday morning, I wonder.
buksida

Post by buksida »

WCry is so mean Microsoft issues patch for 3 unsupported Windows versions
A day after a ransomware worm infected 75,000 machines in 100 countries, Microsoft is taking the highly unusual step of issuing patches that immunize Windows XP, 8, and Server 2003, operating systems the company stopped supporting as many as three years ago.

Microsoft also rolled out a signature that allows its Windows Defender antivirus engine to provide "defense-in-depth" protection. The moves came after attackers on Friday used a recently leaked attack tool developed by the National Security Agency to virally spread ransomware known as "WCry" or "WannaCrypt." Within hours, computer systems around the world were crippled, prompting hospitals to turn away patients while telecoms, banks, and companies such as FedEx were forced to turn off computers for the weekend.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/0 ... -versions/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

THAI VARIANT OF ‘WANNACRYPT’ DETECTED
As Thailand seemed spared the full force of a ransomware attack that has wreaked havoc throughout the world, a possible Thai variant of the program surfaced Monday afternoon.

More than 180,000 people in 150 countries so far have been affected by WannaCry, a viral piece of malware that locks down computers and holds their content ransom until the equivalent of USD$300 is paid in bitcoins. The government said Monday that measures have been implemented to prevent the spread in Thailand, though several security experts warn the risk of a more dangerous outbreak remains.

“The government is concerned about what happened. Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha has ordered the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society to closely monitor any problem that may happen,” ministry official Somsak Khaosuwan said Monday in a statement to the press.

“As for Thailand, currently we have not found any severe damage from the aforementioned malware infection,” he added.

Police spokesman Krissana Pattanacharoen said Interpol alerted the Thai police force on Saturday morning local time about the outbreak. No one has filed a criminal complaint over the issue so far, Col. Krissana said, adding that anyone who wishes to do so should contact the Technology Crime Suppression Division.

WannaCrypt, also known as WannaCry, takes control of computer systems by exploiting bugs in Windows operating systems using a method widely believed stolen from the NSA. Functionality is restored only if users pay the ransom demanded by attackers within a matter of hours.

On Monday, an IT security expert in Prague tweeted what appeared to be a Thai-language variant of WannaCry under development.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/busi ... e-limited/

Since most Thai government computers are still using Windows XP or 7 and IE 6/7 I'm amazed they're so indifferent about it.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Possibly indifferent because emails in English may just be deleted as a matter of course. However, emails in Thai promising huge amounts of money, or even just pictures of food, might stand a better chance of having attachments opened. Anyway, now that Microsoft has released protective updates for XP, Thai government computers will be much safer now. Assuming the updates are applied of course. :)
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

I lost all my important data because of this attack, wish had taken the steps way back updating my windows.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Sorry to see that! Lesson learned, hopefully.

If you have important data it's just not sensible to keep it in a single place, such as a PC. You need backups, whether in the cloud or on separate hard drives (even thumb drives). Patching windows might have prevented losing data due to this ransomware, but it's always possible for a PC hard drive to fail catastrophically, for example, thus losing all your data.

Security updates are important. So are backups. Do both!
pharvey

Security and Connectivity

Post by pharvey »

This story is scary, but not really new. The Long Haired General and I are lucky enough to own 3 cars - hers, mine and one for fun (well, the dog thinks he owns that one)! :D

Mine is around 3 years old, the wife's around 7 and the dog's 12. The safest is the dog's! No Bluetooth technology, a "Safe-Key" and imoboliser. Mine could be hacked with Bluetooth and WiFi - I say "could be" because we now have protection on the system. Anyway, take a look: -

Boy, 11, hacks cyber-security audience to give lesson on 'weaponisation' of toys

"An 11-year-old “cyber ninja” has stunned an audience of security experts by hacking into their Bluetooth devices to manipulate a robotic teddy bear, showing in the process how interconnected smart toys “can be weaponised”."

Full Story: - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... on-of-toys
:cheers: :cheers: :shock:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Adylkuzz hack, called larger than WannaCry, slows computers across the globe

Many computers and servers around the world whose owners believed they were operating slowly on Friday because of the WannaCry ransomware attack, were actually victims of another insidious hack, according to the security company Proofpoint. It says the computers were infected with malware called Adylkuzz which turned them into an unwitting army of computer "miners" working to create and funnel large sums of digital currency, likely destined for dark web markets.

The California-based security company says this malware took advantage of the same National Security Agency-developed tools that drove Friday's unprecedented WannaCry ransomware attack, possibly causing more damage. ..."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/adylkuzz-ha ... uters-nsa/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

hhinner wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:07 pm ^^ Sorry to see that! Lesson learned, hopefully.

If you have important data it's just not sensible to keep it in a single place, such as a PC. You need backups, whether in the cloud or on separate hard drives (even thumb drives). Patching windows might have prevented losing data due to this ransomware, but it's always possible for a PC hard drive to fail catastrophically, for example, thus losing all your data.

Security updates are important. So are backups. Do both!
Which cloud backup do you recommend? which one do you use?
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

mariad wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 pm Which cloud backup do you recommend? which one do you use?
www.jottacloud.no

Not the fastest and not the one with the best apps etc, but one of the best when it comes to privacy and Government access. The files are stored in Norway, and Norwegian computer Laws are much more strict than for example US etc.
YNWA
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

That looks like a cloud sync service, in the same vein as DropBox or OneDrive. These are fantastic services but they are not backup services as they sync everything from your computer. If the files get encrypted by ransomware on your computer, the encrypted files are also uploaded to the host.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The best and most reliable form of backing up is a portable hard drive (or two) kept away from the computer.