The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Android Thread

Post by Norseman »

Should work now.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb: That's better, I was being offered the BBC News website for sale before :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Android bug fear in 900 million phones

Post by hhinner »

prcscct wrote:Android bug fear in 900 million phone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37 ... technology

Affected devices included:

BlackBerry Priv
Blackphone 1 and Blackphone 2
Google Nexus 5X, Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P
HTC One, HTC M9 and HTC 10
LG G4, LG G5, and LG V10
New Moto X by Motorola
OnePlus One, OnePlus 2 and OnePlus 3
US versions of the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung S7 Edge
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
My phone uses a Chinese MediaTek system. Much more secure than Qualcomm. (Or maybe not :) )

Maybe the Thai govt was hoping to use the Qualcomm weakness with a hack in tandem with the new tracking SIMS? :)
buksida

Post by buksida »

What camera app are people using? I'm finding the built in one pretty limited.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

I use the Open Camera. A lot of manual settings. Fits for me.
Greets,
Phyton
buksida

Post by buksida »

Android holds 87.5% of smartphone market
Google's Android operating system captured a record-high 87.5% of the global smartphone market in the third quarter, a research firm said.

The survey released Wednesday by Strategy Analytics found Android's share increase from 84.1% in the same period a year ago, while Apple's iOS saw its share slip from 13.6% to 12.1%.

"Android's leadership of the global smartphone market looks unassailable at the moment," said Strategy Analytics' Woody Oh.

"Its low-cost services and user-friendly software remain attractive to hardware makers, operators and consumers worldwide."

Oh added that the dominance of Android poses challenges for Google, which offers the system for free to manufacturers.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/1 ... one-market
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

A long shot but anyone know where I can find a reliable website for custom ROM downloads, I've tried cyanogenmods but the phone isnt listed (ZYQ Q3602). I need a ROM for a bricked MTK6572 chip, everyone I've tried so far has been a viral link/corrupt download.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: The Android Thread

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:A long shot but anyone know where I can find a reliable website for custom ROM downloads, I've tried cyanogenmods but the phone isnt listed (ZYQ Q3602). I need a ROM for a bricked MTK6572 chip, everyone I've tried so far has been a viral link/corrupt download.
I usually head to needrom.com first, not always successfully, in which case it's off to the manufacturer's website, and chrome helps get through the Chinese language.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Did you try this?
buksida

Post by buksida »

The phone is bricked, there is no OS on it at all, black screen of death. The links in that video (and all the others I've found) are money generating URL shorteners, leading to malware pages and popups. The download, when you eventually get it, is password protected, the password from the video link doesn't work.

I've used SP Flash Tool to format and try two different ROMs, the process seems to go through with no errors but the device still wont boot up.
flash.jpg
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I'd look on reddit, but would be wary of anything posted by someone without a history of upvotes on the site. Enter the following search terms into google:
rom download MTK6572 site:reddit.com
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Might not be any help but... . I once had a problem using SP Flash tool where it seemed like the ROM loaded and wouldn't work. It turned out I'd forgotten to set the download checksum options, although with some ROMs it hasn't mattered. As an aside, I'm sure you already know that formatting the flash will probably wipe the imei numbers (been there), though I don't think that would stop it booting.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for the suggestions, have tried 4-5 different ROMs now, everyone has been a viral link or "corrupt zip file", phone is in the river!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:phone is in the river!
Don't tell the local Trash Heroes - they'll come looking for you :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I have an Android tablet that is a couple of years old and I have a bit of a problem with the internet keyboard, the one that appears at the bottom of the touchscreen. It keeps upgrading to a version that I don't want, I can uninstall it but it keeps coming back, how do you stop that?