The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: The Android Thread

Post by buksida »

No using any apps or programs, just a straight forward copy.

Maybe that is the problem though so I'll try Link2SD.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

No if you're not already using Link2SD don't install it now... that'll only end up confusing things even further!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I could find no way to do this so ended up doing it manually - cleaning up phone storage, moving all the apps from SD to phone, uninstalling the large ones. Changing the cards, moving all the apps back and reinstalling them.

So much for tech making life easier :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

B@st@rds! :cuss: :guns: :banghead:

Android Mazar Malware that can 'wipe phones' spread via SMS

"A Danish security company has detected an attempt to spread a powerful form of Android malware via text messages.
Mazar can gain administrator rights on phones, allowing it to wipe handsets, make calls or read texts.
However, it will not install on phones where the language is set to Russian.
Additionally, users would have to have unchecked a default setting on Android devices that ensures software may only be installed from trusted sources.
Security firm Heimdal thinks the malicious texts could have been sent to over 100,000 phones in Denmark, though it is not sure whether users in other countries may have received the messages.
This is believed to be the first time Mazar has been detected in widespread, real world attacks.
In the examples studied by Heimdal, users receive an innocuous-looking text providing a link to what looks like a multimedia message.
This link downloads Tor software, which enables anonymous internet connections, to the phone.
Afterwards, the malware itself is downloaded through Tor in an apparent effort to hide the source of the malicious software itself."

Full Story: - http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35586446
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Where's my phone?

Post by hhfarang »

Google has an amazing capability. If you have an Android phone and you can't locate it, go to the nearest computer, sign to your google account and type "Where's my phone?" into the Google search box. Google will not only locate your phone by map and address, it will ring it to help you find it around the house, or lock it if it's lost, or even wipe it if it has been stolen so that no one can get your private info.

After it finds it and displays the map, there are buttons below the map to ring it, lock it, or erase it.

I just tried it and it works. I rang my phone from the computer!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Doesnt work here, tried it and it just keeps looping back to the sign in screen - even though I'm already signed in.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Use 'find my phone' and have the location on your mobile switched on.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Makes no diff - just get an endless loop of this even though I am signed in.
google.jpg
google.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Edit: figured it out, it will only work in Chrome (obviously Google's browser).
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

OK, it worked for me, showed exact location on the map.

I want something similar for my car, a GPS style tracker in case it's stolen.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Pagey wrote: ....I want something similar for my car, a GPS style tracker in case it's stolen.
I have a GPS tracker installed in my car.

It's not a 'cheap and cheerful' version you can buy from your local electronics supermart and that you have to install yourself, get a SIM card for and pay the monthly phone charges but a professionally installed and fully supported one.

I can locate my car, start and stop the engine with just a simple SMS command, and will be informed by SMS if any door is opened or the engine started. There is also a tracking option.
The call center will also do this for you if you call them.
The install also comes with an insurance policy that will be paid should your car really be stolen and not recovered.

I've had this installed on two vehicles almost three years ago and am pleased with the way it works. I worry a lot less now about losing the vehicle. (Apparently the Vigo is a prime target).
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

Question for the Android experts ...

How do you view hidden .folders which are on the phone when its plugged into the PC?

My phone is full and I've located the offending folder, it comes with the Camera360 app and is called .sandbox in the TempData folder on the device. There are 2Gb of images in there that I want to take off the phone. Trouble is I cant see this folder when plugged into the PC. Tried USB debug mode, tried Windows explorer "view hidden files", and unckecked "hide protected operating system files", tried showing hidden files in the Android file manager, tried copying the folder to the SD card but still cant see it in Windows.

Any ideas?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Buksi
depending on the brand of your phone, each different brand have their own dedicated transfer software which is the only thing you will be able to use to backup and transfer stuff between phone and computer or vice versa.
For Samsung you will have to use Kies. Nokia was using the Nokia Suite at the time, and now with a Sony I have to use their Xperia Transfer program.
It is always a good idea to do a factory reset once you have backed everything up but could lose social media threads (which isn't always a bad thing ;-)
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that - Kies is the Samsung equivalent of iTunes; invasive bloatware that wants to take over your computer and internet connection.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Surprised you can't get to this folder and files in an android file manager. What about if you go to settings/apps/camera360 and clear cache? Maybe clear data, but I imagine that will also clear any settings as well.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not sure you're reading it right; I can view the folder on the phone but not on the PC - I want to move it to the desktop (take the images off the phone).