The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
jamiep
Amateur
Amateur

Re: The Android Thread

Post by jamiep »

Anyone have any recommendations of other Android models?

I particularly want something fairly well built, with good battery life.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Borrowed an HTC phone (Rhyme I think) after my E72 died on me - was fairly decent and of good build quality, but I was also going through my ''conversion'' from QWERTY to touchscreen and I guess a little green/anti...... IMHO, battery life is the main downside to smartphones - you're going to be charging each and every day regardless.

After my ''conversion'', pressure from the Long Haired General and recommendations from here - I've now got a Galaxy SII, which I have to say is by far and away the best phone I have owned...... even if there's no QWERTY keyboard!! :D

BaaBaa/SJ - any further recommendations for Apps?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
jamiep
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jamiep »

Apparently the new white Galaxy s2 is arriving at the Samsung shop in market village shortly. But there is another shop in Market Village that gives you a free bluetooth headset, a Samsung WEP450, free with the S2, so I think I am going to go with that shop.
jamiep
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jamiep »

Hmm, have decided to hold off on buying the S2 until I can find a little more info.

Apparently there are two versions of the S2 in Thailand. There is the AIS version that works well with the AIS network it according to the sketchy information I received probably works on frequencies 900, 1800, 1900, 2100 MHz.

There is also a DTAC / TRUE version that works on frequencies 800, 850, 1800, 1900 and 2100 MHz.

I was under the impression that the S2 would work well with pretty much all 3G networks, which was a major selling point, since it seems like the 3g situation will change over time in Thailand and will also change when you move from country to country.

Hmm. Will search for more info.
jamiep
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jamiep »

There is a rather long thread about the different S2 versions and other S2 related things on another Thai expats forum (link removed in compliance with board rules).

My conclusion reading it is that the Model GT-I9100T sold that is meant to work on the TRUE and DTAC network is probably to be avoided and that the GT-I9100 sold to use on the AIS network will almost certainly work on other networks too.

What versions of the phone do you guys have? Have you been able to use 3G?
Last edited by jamiep on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Oops jamiep, I don't think you are allowed to link to that forum here...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
jamiep
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jamiep »

Oops, sorry. Didn't know, should read the rules more carefully. Seems there are quite a lot of rules here!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yep, and I'm afraid that's one of the sillier ones.
No need for it at all.
Sorry Mods, ticking off can be taken as read! :thumb:
This is the way
jamiep
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jamiep »

I took the plunge and bought the AIS version of the S2, got a free Samsung WEP450 bluetooth headset which apparently normally costs 800 B.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Have you tried NoLED and SwiftkeyX PHarvey? Must have imho as is PowerAmp, a superb musicplayer.

There's free trials for SwiftkeyX and PowerAmp, NoLED is free.

1Tapcleaner is handy too.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Cool little app, Voice Actions.

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Just found a really smart looking weather app called Beweather.

Lovely graphics.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I came across these Android internet tablets in a shop the other day from Archos:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCHOS-70-GB-In ... 771&sr=8-2
It seems to do pretty much what a smartphone does, except making actual calls, for a whole lot less money and you can even connect it to your phone with bluetooth.
When you consider that many smartphones cost in excess of £500, it doesn't seem a bad deal.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Anyone set up a VPN - or know how to do so on an Android.... preferably a Galaxy SII..... BaaBaa/SJ!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
ge3

Post by ge3 »

Hi I dont know whether Im breaking the rules by starting a new question within a thread, I apologise if I have.

Does anyone here own a Nexus S? I have rooted it and chucked a custom rom in it Cyanogen 7 2.3.7 Android. If anyone has any feedback about battery life that would be appriciated.

My battery life is damn right awful. 7-10 hours tops depending on how much I use the phone. :banghead: