The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Irish big-kev

App for free ringtone download

Post by Irish big-kev »

Anyone know of an app you can download to get free ringtones on a Sony Xperia?
taffinexile

Re: App for free ringtone download

Post by taffinexile »

Not sure if it's available for android phones but I use RTWizard pro on my iPhone. It allows you to make your own from any music you have. You can make it from any part of the music such as a riff or chorus.
In my time of dying all want for you to do is take my body home..... so I can die easy
pharvey

Re: The Android Thread

Post by pharvey »

I've been trying to find some suitable software for "stitching" several photographs together to produce a single panoramic shot. I recently downloaded a rather nifty APP and have been playing around with it for the last couple of days using my Galaxy SII - with some very good results (especially with my level of expertise with a camera/phone).... :oops: :roll:

Anyway, it's a freebie for Android at least and can be downloaded through various sources including Google Play: -

Panorama 360 by TeliportMe
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 0&hl=en_GB

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Good apps that are out and about

Post by GLCQuantum »

I generally get my apps from randomly searching and coming across something I like. This can, sometimes, be very time consuming going through all the rubbish out there.

AFew apps I got recently that I like. (They maybe we'll known by most already... Ho hum)

'Viki' : this is an entertainment app with a load of soaps, movies and whatnot. Free with no registration needed. 99 percent of the content is Asian stuff. Of that 99 percent, 100 percent is duly subtitled in many different languages of your choice. I like it. It also has a complete library of very old, classic cartoons and movies.

Trials Frontier: I don't play many games but I'm hooked on this one. A motorbike game, with very nice graphics and enough there to play without buying crap, like most of the other games tend to try and make you do.

Toy Story Read Along: a great little app for young children where you can either listen to the preset reader, or record your own voice. The story is put together with nice little moving pictures, and clips from the movie. One that wouldn't be used much... More of a 'use a few times (until the little one gets bored of it) then bin,' kinda app.

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Have recently come across "Android Device Manager" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m&hl=en_GB

Very useful for those who misplace phones or venture into areas with "light-fingered locals".

Through your Google account, you can remotely (via PC) locate the phone (roughly), change your phones PIN or wipe all personal data.......... including compromising photo's!! :twisted:

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I bought one of these yesterday which is a handy thing for Android phones and tablets:
http://www.emtec-international.com/en-u ... -usb-flash
It's just a small memory stick with a normal USB socket at one end and a micro-USB at the other. I wanted something to connect a memory stick to my tablet but it was cheaper to buy one of these and transfer the data onto it with a PC and then plug it into the tablet, it was only a few euros for 8gb.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thought I'd post this as its my most used app. Bloody great it is too. I apologise for the arrangement of pictures. I haven't figured out how to attach a picture then type directly under it... Who'd have thunk it'd be so hard!

If, like me, you weren't prepared to pay the extra 5-6 grand for a SIM card iPad that can use 3G while away from a wifi network, yet would like to watch some YouTube movies when on the move... There's a neat little app that allows you to download YouTube videos easily onto your iPad for future viewing pleasure. I've been using it for 5-6 months now with no problems. If you don't want the ads, you have to pay, of course.

Step 1: download 'Titan download' app from the play store.

Step 2 (first pic below) : open app and browse YouTube for the video you want. The little switch on the left of the screen decides if ya browsing or looking through your library. Don't ask why I needed this particular instrumental video! :D

Step 3:(second picture below) hit the download button in the top right and video will start being downloaded (you can check the progress of the download as pictured)

Step 4 (third picture below) : enjoy watching your vids while on the move and out of wifi zone.

Step 5 (last picture below): make folders (top left of screen) for your umpteen videos. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

GLCQuantum wrote:Thought I'd post this as its my most used app. Bloody great it is too. I apologise for the arrangement of pictures. I haven't figured out how to attach a picture then type directly under it... Who'd have thunk it'd be so hard!

If, like me, you weren't prepared to pay the extra 5-6 grand for a SIM card iPad...
IPad! This is an android thread and a 3G android tablet costs about two thousand baht more, but I suppose the people that make them didn't make 18 billion dollars of profit like Apple did last year!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

STEVE G wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:Thought I'd post this as its my most used app. Bloody great it is too. I apologise for the arrangement of pictures. I haven't figured out how to attach a picture then type directly under it... Who'd have thunk it'd be so hard!

If, like me, you weren't prepared to pay the extra 5-6 grand for a SIM card iPad...
IPad! This is an android thread and a 3G android tablet costs about two thousand baht more, but I suppose the people that make them didn't make 18 billion dollars of profit like Apple did last year!
The last time I opened a thread on favourite apps, the mods moved it here - so I just went along with it.

Regardless of if you have the 3G capability or not... it's still a neat app to store a library of videos that you like from you tube. There doesn't seem to have any limit on the free version - simply how much space you have on your iPad.

For android users it is much, MUCH simpler to store stuff on the tablet for free.

Edit: If I owned an android tablet though...

... I would now own nothing as it would have been stolen, for good (on that occasion), from me. Apple's security settings means that I still own a tablet as it's a paperweight for a thief.

:D
MrMercury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrMercury »

A very good and handy app for those living or just holidaying in Thailand is ASIA Locator Thailand Guide.
Tons of info on many places in Thailand, Hotels, Attractions, Translator and even a Sat Nav.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... land&hl=en
It gets 5/5 from me.

MM.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

GLCQuantum wrote:
STEVE G wrote:

The last time I opened a thread on favourite apps, the mods moved it here - so I just went along with it.

Regardless of if you have the 3G capability or not... it's still a neat app to store a library of videos that you like from you tube. There doesn't seem to have any limit on the free version - simply how much space you have on your iPad.

For android users it is much, MUCH simpler to store stuff on the tablet for free.

Edit: If I owned an android tablet though...

... I would now own nothing as it would have been stolen, for good (on that occasion), from me. Apple's security settings means that I still own a tablet as it's a paperweight for a thief.

:D

A bit of topic I know, but if you really believe a thief cannot use your iPad then I think you could be in for a bit of a surprise if yours ever gets stolen.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Pharvey wrote on the I-things thread:
Well there's always those who the absolute latest gadgets and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the vast majority of components are identical to those in previous models. The one thing that does concern me is reaching a point where software on older models is no longer supported and updated software cannot be downloaded - possibly rendering the device useless.

I also use a Galaxy SII and am more than happy with it - I'm certainly not interested in running out to purchase the latest $700 or $800 model for the sake of it.
I copied this quote to the android thread because I want to discuss further. As I said I'm happy with my Galaxy S II; except that a lot of apps require Android 4.3 or above now. Can I upgrade my S II from Android 2.3.6 that came on it to a later version? If so, two questions:

How?

Will it affect my personal data on the phone?

The phone is unlocked and rooted btw...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Thanks, looks like no loss except email accounts and home screen for me. I think I can live with that. Have you done it and did you encounter any problems/issues?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ I have done, and just had to reset my settings for Gmail and a couple of other Apps. Works perfectly well now and I hope will do so for a while yet - great phone IMHO and certainly no reason to change.

Recently added another SIM to my account for the LHG, and O2 (British Company) offered me a massive £18/$30 to recycle my SII !! Absolute pr!cks.......... :cuss: :cuss: