The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Android Thread

Post by Homer »

STEVE G wrote:I have an Android tablet that is a couple of years old and I have a bit of a problem with the internet keyboard, the one that appears at the bottom of the touchscreen. It keeps upgrading to a version that I don't want, I can uninstall it but it keeps coming back, how do you stop that?
Is it the keyboard that was one of the bundled apps (installed by the manufacturer)? If so, I don't think there is a way to stop it from reinstalling. However, if you install another keyboard, then select it as your input method, the bundled one will never be used. At least that's how HTC and Samsung bundled apps work.

If it's not a bundled app, in the Play Store turn off Auto Update and turn on notifications of available updates.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's the one from Google which I guess was pre-installed, I don't play around with these things much unless they stop working. The old version worked perfectly but the upgraded one hangs up sometimes and can't keep up with your input. Perhaps trying to install another one is the way ahead, as you suggest.
Thank you for the reply.
mo1

Losing data from calander

Post by mo1 »

I have a Samsung A7 phone, the s-planer application or calander only keeps my inputs for 60 days I have looked everywere so far Any helpers out there will be apreciated
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

STEVE G wrote:It's the one from Google which I guess was pre-installed, I don't play around with these things much unless they stop working. The old version worked perfectly but the upgraded one hangs up sometimes and can't keep up with your input. Perhaps trying to install another one is the way ahead, as you suggest.
Thank you for the reply.
You're welcome. I use and recommend SwiftKey.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Your suggestion of SwiftKey seems to have solved the problem, it's easier to use and more to the point, it has survived for two days without changing to something else!
Magalan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Magalan »

Galaxy Tab 8.9 GT P7300 Android 4.0.4 ICS

About a month ago, YouTube closed itself unexpectedly and the display reverted to Desktop. Unable to restart YouTube. Tried Gmail, which would not download any new emails, and then closed itself. Google Maps constantly showed a popup "Waiting for location". Spent 24hrs trying to fathom out the problem, but no luck, so took the tablet to the local Samsung office. The technician there seemed equally puzzled and could only suggest a "Factory reset option - don't forget to back up all your files." Carried out the Reset, and Gmail/Maps/Youtube all work now as factory installed versions, ie. Youtube looks really different and does not offer historic use preferences etc. and shows "A newer version is available". If I select the newer version the problem starts all over again. I get Notifications of "Updates available" which seem to be mostly for Google apps (Google+ / Hangouts / Gmail etc.) If I update Gmail, (don't use the other two), the problem re-occurs (no new emails etc)

Current Gmail ver is 4.1.2 / YouTube ver is 4.0.23 / Maps 8.4.1

Tried looking at "Settings / Applications / Running" and Google Play Services, which is ver 10.2.98, has 3 entries, varying from 0 to 2 processes, and from 1 to 7 services, and is constantly restarting itself after running for only between 5 and 15 seconds. All other "running" apps appear to have run since the tablet was restarted, i.e several hours. I have checked on APKMirror.com, and see that Google Play Services Ver. 10.2.98 was only available from 13 February and that was about when the problem started. I did not update it then, but maybe it auto-updated (can it do that?) I have downloaded/installed Google play services apk 10.2.97 which seemed to install OK, to try and backdate the current file, but when I then updated YouTube, the problem re-occurred (instant reversion to Desktop)

Any ideas please?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Redmi note 4x wifi dropping out

Post by thecolonel »

My wifi on my new redmi note 4x keeps dropping out and I'm convinced it's not the network as never had any such issues with other devices. Read something about flashing the ROM? see below for OS, any ideas welcome... Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Big Boy on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added 'dropping out' to Subject.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by redzonerocker »

Some of my apps are not working on a samsung note.
I did an uninstall and reinstall but got an 'app not optimized for this device' message.
I did a bit of research but haven't had much joy.

Don't really use this tablet that often and haven't had much experience with android devices.
Anyone had a similar problem or has any idea of a solution?

The device is a Samsung Note SM T520 4.4.2
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

Please someone can suggest me a solution for Netflix not working on Vizio smart tv. Have read this blog: https://www.netflixdown.com/how-to-solv ... -tv-error/ but the issue is i am finding it quite skeptical to go with the steps.

Can someone please suggest me a solution or can recommend if i can follow with the solution i mentioned above like is it safe to proceed. Not a very tech savvy person hence confused.
buksida

Post by buksida »

As some of you have read my phone is on its way out and I'll be replacing it soon. It needs to last another month or so and I don't think it will.

This is because Google Play Services is eating everything up. It consumes most of the battery life and has chewed 3 GB of storage space. Uninstalling apps to free space (which is at 93% at the moment) does not work as Google Play Services just eats up that free space and keeps growing. It is like a virus.

I'm not as up on Android as other systems so not sure what to do with it. Research I have done indicates that it shouldn't be messed with and clearing the data will render the apps and phone unusabe. It only needs to last a few weeks more but I do need to use it within that time.

Anyone have experience with Google Play Services (which is not really an app, but more of a gateway for devs to update their apps without having to wait for a complete OS update)?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Can you not save your contacts, photos etc to your SD card, and then restore it to factory settings? I bought a new phone recently, and once I had set it up, I restored to factory settings - it was like having a new phone.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

That is the last resort, yes. Just thought there maybe an easier fix to the Google Play Virus Service.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

My mobile phone experience with Android 4 or Android 5 is that battery life was poor due to Google, in particular apps reporting your location. Part recourse is to turn off some location reports (where possible) but not completely as then phone may not function.

Android 6 and above, allow much more control on apps, such that you can go in and adjust all permissions for each app.

My Redmi 5A (Android 6) does not have Google Play Services, plus closed off many permissions and phone still works well with long battery life.

My ZTE A512 (Android 7) does have Google Play Services which I disabled; my calendar does not work in consequence and probably some other things (I’m not using either phone much).

Google is a pain, seems like it’s all about knowing your location (with multiple reports) so that they can sell you to advertisers, almost makes me want to go back to Apple.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Annoying indeed. It is Android 5.1.1, the last update that Lenovo will allow on that device. Can't disable or rollback updates to Google Play Services without rooting the phone. Will just bear with it for a couple of weeks and factory restore when I get a replacement.

Agree, these tech monopolies are insidious to say the least.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ So why not root it? There may also be newer custom ROMs available for that model.