fonts

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Bamboo Grove

fonts

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Some years ago I used a lap tom McIntosh and I was working on a Thai-Finnish phrase book. The computer broke down and although I was able to save what I had done about the book, I wasn't able to save the fonts I used for phonetics. As you know there are five tones in Thai language and to express these tones I used following kind of symbols:
á = rising tone à = falling tone â = low tone ě = high tone
Most of these symbols I can find on my computer but as the old ones where specially made for me, I'm now missing some. Finnish language as well as Thai language have the sounds of "ae" (as the 'a' in 'can') á in Thai and "oe" (doesn't exist in English) àÃ
buksida

codes for thai phonetics

Post by buksida »

BBG,
The two codes that you have provided produce different things in HTML, the first one ä is an ä a with umlaut and the second ö is the o with an umlaut ö

You dont actually need the fonts to reproduce these, you just need the keyboard code or ascii code that produces this symbol. This site has a full list of what codes produce what symbols: http://www.lookuptables.com/

To get them to print you need to hold down alt+caps lock then type the code so for example alt+caps lock+132 = ä and alt+caps lock+148 = ö

Mines a Tiger :cheers:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Hmm, let's say I've opened the cap.
I do have those ö's and ä's as I have Finnish fonts in my computer. What I, however, don't have are these with the tone marks above them. I can find most of these in microsoft word symbols although they don't come out here the same way as you can see from my earlier post.
They would like these symbols in the Chinese pinyin text (http://www.csulb.edu/~txie/PINYIN/pinyin.htm)
with some additional tone marks (which don't exist in pinyin.)

Strange enough when I copy these symbols from other texts they don't come out here that way.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I would imagine then that these symbols are conflicting with your Finnish fonts which already have their own tone marks.

Other than what I suggested above I'm not really sure what you're asking for :?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

If you look at the symbols at the end of the page (your link), you can see the vowels a, e, i, o and u with all kinds of tone marks above them. You can also see plain y, ä and ö but not any of these with those tone marks.
With tone marks I mean the slashes(/ and one going from left to right) and v and v upside down above the 5 vowels mentioned above.

One possibility is to do as they do with the transliteration in Cantonese; put numbers after each syllable to express the tone i.e.
1 = normal tone
2 = high tone
3 = low tone
4 = falling tone
5 = rising tone
It just doesn't look too good, for example

pai1 nai5 mai4 roo2
buksida

Post by buksida »

So you're looking for an ä and ö with tones?

a with umlaut and a tone mark (slashes) ? I don't think that even exists, I certainly have never seen it :?
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

So you're looking for an ä and ö with tones?

a with umlaut and a tone mark (slashes) ? I don't think that even exists, I certainly have never seen it
That's right, I used to have them but I don't know where they came from as somebody else gave them to me.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Hmm, I've obviously sorted out my font problem, somebody did them for me. Now, I finally got my TT&T connected again (I had some problems with bills before and refused to pay because they didn't send me any bills just a machine telling me a ridiculous sum). So in the end I didn't have to pay those sums. Now the connection is back but my modem connection seems to have gone for a holiday. So Buks, if you still fancy a few roaring Tigers, I'll try to explain my problem to you on Saturday after hopping off the wagon. Don't say you weren't warned.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

'
Bamboo Grove wrote:,,,,snip, snip, snip,,, I'll try to explain my problem to you on Saturday after hopping off the wagon. ,,,snip, snip,,,
Falling, not hopping. Now gimme my 2 cents.