Kindles & e-readers

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Kindles & e-readers

Post by crazy88 »

Anyone have one?

Are they any good in Thailand without 3g?

Any recommendations on which model?

If you have purchased a book can you share?

Any other info appreciated.

Merry christmas
:cheers:

Crazy 88
moja
Guru
Guru

Re: Kindles

Post by moja »

I got an Amazon Kindle this morning but have only just been able to set it up as we have not had Internet all morning.

Could not have been easier - I do not have a 3g model. Four books were downloaded in minutes and books transferred from my computer were even faster.

As for sharing I have not got that far yet but I have promised to let your Mum know once I have worked things out!

Merry Christmas
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

moja wrote:I got an Amazon Kindle this morning but have only just been able to set it up as we have not had Internet all morning.

Could not have been easier - I do not have a 3g model. Four books were downloaded in minutes and books transferred from my computer were even faster.

As for sharing I have not got that far yet but I have promised to let your Mum know once I have worked things out! Merry Christmas
How did it get here Moja, hand carried in by someone or bought from Amazon on-line. If the latter, what was your experience with Customs and duty costs? Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I'm sure there was an e-book thread a while back...?

I'll take a look.
www.35mmview.com
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Randy Cornhole wrote:I'm sure there was an e-book thread a while back...? I'll take a look.
Yeah, we have one but at the time I don't think anyone had bought/imported a Kindle here yet. Just Sandman had recently bought a Sony. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Coudn't find it anyway. Probably tacked onto another thread...!
www.35mmview.com
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

How did it get here Moja, hand carried in by someone or bought from Amazon on-line. If the latter, what was your experience with Customs and duty costs? Thanks. Pete :cheers:
My friend hand carried it from the UK for me so cannot help you when it comes to Customs and duty
buksida

Re: Kindles & e-readers

Post by buksida »

Bumping this as I've recently acquired thousands of titles for an e-reader so am looking at possibly getting one - like everything else slightly technical they are taxed to hell in Thailand and vastly over-priced (almost double what Amazon are charging for a Kindle 3). Had a look on eBay but there are thousands of them, anyone got any recommendations for brand and model? Do the Amazon ones behave like Apple hardware and lock you into their system only or are they compatible with everything?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

As reported above I use a Sony PRS-600 with an additional after market 14gig slot in memory card

Had it for a year and can report it is one of the best, if not the best, "gadget" Ive ever bought. I now have over 900 books stored on it, categorised and indexed into collections such as "history" or by author.

Extremely simple to use, with scalable font sizes so you can make the print bigger. Also stores wav and other audio files such as MP3s - so I have a stack of audio books on there too and radio plays like the classic BBC Hobbit and LOTR series. I use it for about an hour a day or so, and it requires charging once a week or so (music and audio sucks up the power much quicker - about 4 hrs playtime from one charge). Same size as a standard softback novel, and wieghs about the same so its cool brushed alloy cover feels good in the hand. Works on either touchscreen or a set of very simple bottons below the screen. Onboard dictionary function, and you can use it to make handwriting notes, store pictures and a few other basic functions.

The Sony has a distinct advantage over other readers in that it is multi platform so reads many more file formats than its competitors like Kindle. Its also a lot classier as its metallic alloy covered rather than cheap plastic, so a lot more robust. I like its clean minimalistic look - I think the others with keypads look cluttered, and a colour screen is a waste of time IMHO as ebooks are black n white.

When I was buying one I went into Barnes and Noble to do a prouct comparison with the Kindle and Nook....even their own B&N staff said the Sonly ones were much better at what they did. Unlike Kindle the Sony has no issues with copyright covered material from iffy sources like EBook30.com and Sony do not pull stupid tricks like auto deleting any dodgy material when you log onto their sites (which Kindle do). Its clean and simple...it reads books, stores picures and notes, and plays music. If you want other functions Id suggest you are better getting a small format PC Tablet like the Acer ones. Kindle seems to be a lot less user friendly and a lot more cluttered. The NOOk is just less value for money as it suffers like Kindle from a much more limited file format range.

The only downer, and its the same for all the ebook readers, is that the screen is NOT backlit, so you need to be in a light environment to read such as a bedside lamp. Sony do an aftermarket cover with a built in AAA battery powered reading light for when you are on the move.

Possibly the best £200 Ive ever spent.

Now for the bad news. Sony have no plans to release it in Thailand as they do not see a market for them here. You can get them in Singapore though. Caveat Emptor though.... they are being counterfeited by Chinese companies so make sure you buy from a reliable shop or net site.

Hope that is helpfull.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I, too, have a Sony, a PRS-505 I've had now for up towards 3 years.

I can't add much to Sandmans, other than I also find mine a great investment.

I specifically went with the Sony vs a Kindle that friends have because it is a basic reader, as opposed to internet connection.

I like multitasking, but on my gizmos I already have internet so figured it was one more thing that could go wrong. My weekly copies of the Economist, etc, just download when I plug in the reader.

There was a big article I ran across stating the readers will die off, in favor of the tablets. I didn't read it in depth, and come across so much in my reading, I'm not sure how to find it.

But I like the smallness of the reader, and Mrs M is happy I'm not lugging 7 books everywhere we go!

Calibre is a great management tool if you go with the reader (I believe calibre.com)
:cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Excellent, Sony it is then, this looks like the go: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-PRS-600-READ ... 5d2e98941a

May have to get someone in the UK to buy it and bring it out - the customs people are bound to get their hands on it and slap 40% duty on.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

We come out probably October. If you don't have one by then I'll bring one you can buy, I'll let you know local price here :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for the offer - I still have enough of those old paper books to keep me going until then!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I'm out in 4 weeks Buks.
adammike

Post by adammike »

I love my sony 505, the main difference is that a reader uses e-ink and
that is very easy on the eye because it is not back lit,and a tablet that is just like a computer screen and that can be very tiring on the old eyes.
I only use mine for books, its not so hot on audio and no pictures only words.
It works so I am not looking to upgrade yet but the kindle does look like a good bit of kit.
keep it away from sand.