Camera and photography thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: Camera and photography thread

Post by Big Boy »

View it via File Manager 0n your laptop. It will be the same as plugging the card in directly.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

BB I know people like me exasperate people like you.
I connected the camera, pics came up, not the NEW ones. I looked at all the items r &L clicked on everyone but no sign of File Manager. How do you find FM and how the h** do you learn these tricks, they are never in the instruction booklets.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

On my laptop its a big yellow folder at the bottom of my screen - 3 places right of the start button.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

perhaps I dont have it, I ran two searches for FM both times--no matches. I have Windows 8.1
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not good, but this might help:
Screen.jpg
Screen.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

oakdale160 wrote: How do you find FM ...
Press Win+E On Your Keyboard
There are 6 more ways. Google Is Your Friend.
oakdale160 wrote: ... how the h** do you learn these tricks, they are never in the instruction booklets.
Books, not booklets. The 'For Dummies' series has two introductions to Win 8.1: Regular and http://www.amazon.com/Windows-8-1-For-S ... 1118821491
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Re: Professional enlargement of photos

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

I wonder if a professional photographer can enlarge a 'regular size' photo to
the size of a 'large' portrait without affecting the quality?

If so, can anyone recommend a Hua Hin photo shop?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

MB
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

From a printed photo? No. From the original file, possibly. Depends on the file dimensions, as measured by pixels, and the size of the print. Any upsizing comes with a reduction in quality.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Professional enlargement of photos

Post by J.J.B. »

MajorBloodnok wrote:I wonder if a professional photographer can enlarge a 'regular size' photo to the size of a 'large' portrait without affecting the quality?
Like Homer says, enlarging a [digital] photo will result in a loss of quality. Sticking with digital, if the picture is a JPEG output from an original RAW or DNG file, which you have, then you could output a larger picture of equal or even better quality from that file. If you only have the existing file you could enlarge it and use some digital noise reduction software that uses "interpolation" techniques to estimate where to add-in extra pixels to smooth out the image.

If it is a paper-based print, you may have the original "negative" that came from the lab with the original set of prints. Using that negative film would be the best way to enlarge the image. Historically (15 years ago being 'history'!) this would have been done by projecting light through the strip of film onto a piece of light-sensitve paper but nowadays the film strip is scanned into a digital file.

If you only have the print, this will need to be scanned, digitised and enlarged for print. Again, the quality will be diminished but you can reduce the impact of this by using the highest resolution scanner available. The typical photo shop will use scanning settings of 300 dots per inch (dpi). If the print was made from a digital image file this will probably be acceptable since the print itself probably has a similar dpi and there is nothing extra to be gained. If it is a print from a film negative then you want the scanning resolution to be as high as possible and using a professional-grade scanner with a dpi setting of upto 1,200 dpi.

This will create a very large file that you will have to convince the print shop to work with, because they generally don't like to! Ideally you will want to manipulate the image for colour-correction, contrast and brightness plus it may need some "cleaning" if there are dust, scratches or other marks on it. A typical print shop will use a domestic scanner with a dirty scanning bed, they will probably scan to a "lossy" file format, to make the size manageable, and then enlarge it with a pirated copy of Photoshop before printing it to an uncalibrated domestic, four-colour inkjet printer using after-market ink.

Whatever that costs, maybe 250 THB, think about paying two or three times that amount and get it done really well. Maybe somewhere like Rinya graphics is setup for this but you will probably have to talk them through exactly what you want to avoid the "quick and dirty" job. I hope some of the above will help a little bit.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

[quote="J.J.B."If you only have the print, this will need to be scanned, digitised and enlarged for print. Again, the quality will be diminished but you can reduce the impact of this by using the highest resolution scanner available[/quote]
Thank you very much for that. I have a set of postcard size prints taken before digital cameras were common, and have been trying to find a shop to digitise them. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My wife uses a shop in Cha Am to reproduce any photos we need enlarging - I'll have to ask her for the details. Most impressive they have done for us was from a scanned image of my parents wedding way back in 1947. As best as I know my sister had the original photo, I think it was 6" by 4" and she scanned a copy and sent it to me as a jpeg file. We put it on a thumb drive and gave it to the woman at the shop to produce a 50 X 40 cm picture - it's black and white but the quality is surprisingly good given all the circumstances.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Google Nik Collection of plug-ins for Adobe is now FREE

Post by Homer »

The Nik collection is 7 plug-ins that work in Lightroom, Photoshop and Elements, both on Win and Mac.

Google bought Nik in 2014, probably to understand how they worked. Two of the plug-ins, Silver Efex Pro and DFine2, are still among the best at what they do. The others were either the best or among the best in 2014. Google has fixed bugs found since 2014, but has not made updates.

http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Are your OS and Adobe versions supported? http://support.google.com/nikcollection ... ic=3000839
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

This camera is going to change the world

"...a camera promising never-before-seen quality and functionality with a footprint small enough to fit (maybe a bit uncomfortably) in your pocket.
in "five to ten years" the major camera brands will no longer exist.
an iPhone-sized device with optical zoom, wide-aperture lensing, and DSLR-like sensor quality ...
The L16 collects light information from 16 different lenses and sensors mounted haphazardly on its back.

Five of those cameras shoot at 35mm and are roughly equivalent in design to those you'd find on the back of your phone. The other 11 have long 70mm- or 150mm-equivalent lenses, and involve some incredible innovation.

In order to shoot with such a long focal length without popping out the front of the device, each long lens lies flat across the L16 and collects light from mirrors set into the camera's body at 45-degree angles. The result is a folded lens, with its bulk stowed neatly and invisibly into the camera. The mirrors can also tilt to adjust the segment of the scene each sensor captures.

Depending on the focal length (zoom) the L16 is set to within its 35mm-150mm range, up to ten of the L16's eyes fire for a given shot. The camera records the light information and uses it to generate a single image.

Due to the wealth of information the camera collects, only zoom and shutter speed are determined at the moment of shooting. Photographers can adjust the focus, depth-of-field, and exposure of the up-to-52-megapixel result after the fact.
the concept is scalable. Laroia says the L16 doesn't need all 16 of its eyes to function.
You'll start to see smartphones with two or three cameras
expect any camera you buy today to be utterly obsolete by its fifth birthday."

http://www.businessinsider.com/light-l1 ... ure-2016-4
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Do you shoot RAW? I do. It just saved 100+ photos from being worthy only of deleting.

Like everyone else, I'd purchased tickets months in advance. Unlike almost everyone, I arrived before sunrise to shoot exteriors. This required a custom white balance. Later, after shooting inside for 2 hours, and outside under a clear blue sky for 30 min, I realized I'd never changed the white balance.

Doesn't matter. I'll change it in Lightroom and it will be like I never made the mistake. One can change color temperature and tint on jpgs, but I've never seen large changes that looked good.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I always shoot in RAW and often in JPG at 'medium' settings too when I'm using my DSLR. My point and shoot Panasonic Micro 4/3 is also set-up to shoot in RAW. I rarely do a manual white balance unless I'm shooting video, mostly choosing the colour temperature according to sunny, cloudy, incandescent or fluorescent light presets on the camera. Shooting in RAW makes so many changes possible although also likely because few shots are that great right from the get-go.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde