The Torrents Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by GLCQuantum »

Glad it worked out in 3D. Sounds like good fun, have never tried it myself. Don't have a TV good (or big) enough to do it. You now have 180 movies in 3D from the link in my last post to enjoy.

Lucky bugger...am a little jealous now.

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

barrys wrote:the 3D effects really are amazing. Plenty of action, so I think the plot will be a secondary factor for the 1st movie - just enjoy the 3D experience.
Pretty much the same way I felt - quite frankly when I first tried the 3D on the TV I wasn't expecting much as I always assumed you really needed "cinema size" to appreciate it, but have to admit it's been incredible.

The kids (nephew/niece) have worn out the "Despicable Me 3D" disc!!

As an aside, I've never downloaded 3D to watch on the TV - did you do anything special, or just put straight to the Flash-Drive?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Shouldn't be anything special Pharvey. Just download it and whack it on the ol' flash drive.

Have a trial run...Here's one for your 'kids' to have a go at playing non-stop again (always a pleasure).

https://yts.to/movie/home-2015

J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I can fully support GLC's recommendation regarding the YIFY site and it's also what I've used for years. The quality is consistently good and the movie sizes are amazingly small. When you 'encode' movies (the process of taking the original file and compressing it in size and also making it compatible for viewing with particular equipment) you have to make a trade off between the quality (largely measured in 'bitrate'), the size of the resultant file and the speed of the encoding process; it can take many hours.

I think your original file size of 9GB for a 3D film is not unreasonalble (films on blu-ray discs are typically 15-20GB in size) but you discovered the flaw of the FAT32 file system. However, the reason why it didn't play on your TV is because its processor can't handle the bitrate of a 9GB film, which is about 13 megabits per second (Mbps), it's simply too much data (you can't get a pint in a half-pint pot!). Chances are it's a processor designed for the days of DVD where the maximum bitrate was around 9Mbps with the standard at closer to 7Mbps. YIFY's encodes are typcially around the 2-3Mbps mark and I can only assume they're using some extraordinarly powerful equipment or waiting around two days to produce films of the quality and size they do.

The YIFY files are also encoded using an MP4 'codec' (compression:deccompression) that means they are formatted to an industry standard that's built into most viewing hardware. There are many other codecs out there and some of the people on torrent sites are encoding with DivX, Xvid, 3ivx and others that may result in smallish file sizes but that almost certainly won't play on your TV from a USB stick. If you stick with MP4 files or AVI at a push, you should be fine.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I also bought a smart 3D TV in January and have never used it's capabilities so I want to jump in on this and download some 3D movies incl movies for my son.

I've never used torrents so I'm going to download from the site GLQ suggested so I've opened the link and it has options 32 bit version Http download and Torrent download and the same for 64 bit. Which files do I need of these 4 before I can download movies ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

GLCQuantum wrote:Glad it worked out in 3D. Sounds like good fun, have never tried it myself. Don't have a TV good (or big) enough to do it. You now have 180 movies in 3D from the link in my last post to enjoy.

Lucky bugger...am a little jealous now.

Thanks a lot for the updated 3D movie list. I'll have a good look at that later today.

Incidentally, I'm using 55" LG Smart 3D-capable TV connected to an LG home cinema surround sound system.
I'm sure there are better systems out there now, but I'm more than happy with the result and so is everyone else in the house :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Re: Torrents

Post by barrys »

@J.J.B.

Thanks a lot for all that useful technical information. It makes the whole thing a lot more understandable.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

pharvey wrote:As an aside, I've never downloaded 3D to watch on the TV - did you do anything special, or just put straight to the Flash-Drive? :cheers: :cheers:
Simply download the 3D version from the torrent site (I use u torrent), copy onto a flash drive and press the 3D button on your TV's smart remote control. Enjoy :D
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Pagey wrote:I also bought a smart 3D TV in January and have never used it's capabilities so I want to jump in on this and download some 3D movies incl movies for my son.

I've never used torrents so I'm going to download from the site GLQ suggested so I've opened the link and it has options 32 bit version Http download and Torrent download and the same for 64 bit. Which files do I need of these 4 before I can download movies ?
First download the u-torrent program from the Internet (http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/win -> Learn more -> free download).

Then go to the site suggests by GLCQ, find the movie you want, click on the 3D version and then download the torrent.
This file normally goes to your Downloads folder. Double click on the file there and it will open in u torrent. Click on ok and the movie will download (again normally into the Downloads folder).
Then simply copy to USB flash drive and plug into the TV.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks Barry, I didn't see your reply and managed to do it using GLC's torrent file. Just looked at the Home movie he sent a link for and the 3D is amazing.

Now back to GLC's site to download some more, thanks GLC (BTW I was talking to your dad on Friday night).

Man in pub circa 1987.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pagey wrote:I also bought a smart 3D TV in January and have never used it's capabilities so I want to jump in on this and download some 3D movies incl movies for my son.

Just download the 32bit Http option for BitComet and you'll be fine. Downloads in seconds. After that just click on any movie download option in the YTS site (previously called YIFY) and it will start downloading automatically and give you a little 'ding' to tell you it's finished. Then just double click on it, (or right click, then - 'open directory') and the movie is all yours.

EDIT: Didn't real all of the posts and see that you're already sorted... :D
I was talking to your dad Friday night...
My ears did feel a little hot that evening. :wink:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

OK..... What am I doing wrong :? :oops:

This is my first attempt at downloading a 3D movie to watch on my Smart TV (Samsung if that makes any difference).

Previously, I've bought 3D Blu-ray discs or DVD's to watch, which have been great. If you look at the screen without the glasses it just looks somewhat "fuzzy"/out of focus. However, the downloaded movie from YTS is simply split into two screens (actually crisp picture(s)), so not compatible with my TV...... or are there some settings I need to change.

Are there different 3D formats to download?

Ta muchly in advance.

JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i think you need to change 3D formats on your TV:

I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

On my LG there is a 3D button on the remote which changes the pic to 3D but has about 6 screen options at the bottom. You select the one that makes the pic look 3D. Without it mine also looked like 2 screens playing at once.

Man in pub circa 1987.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Cheers guys.. :thumb: :cheers:

When viewing 3D Blu-ray discs and DVD's, the TV automatically went into 3D mode. I selected 3D on the remote when watching the downloaded movie, but hadn't realised I needed to change the 3D format :roll: :oops: Works great now, so thanks for the advice and thanks to GLC for the torrent(s). As always, much appreciated.