What is the Meaning of Strikethrough text

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

What is the Meaning of Strikethrough text

Post by Ralfredo »

Hi all!

The last weeks there are quite a few posts in different threads written in strikethrough text. Why is that? How am I supposed to interpret it?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: What is the Meaning of Strikethrough text

Post by J.J.B. »

There may be different reasons why people use it and I'm sure we'll learn more about them here soon. My interpretation is that it shows where you have edited yourself but still want to show what you were originally thinking. It's probably used most for smart-arse comedic effect. It is a writing mechanic that is more powerful than parentheses or quotation marks and is probably most used in an attempt to show you did not mean any real offence, while leaving people in no doubt what you actually wanted to convey.

For example:

'I think your golf swing looks like you're tring to drive a six inch nail into a piece of turf could use some more work.'

It's meant to show what you really thought, and that you felt it was amusing enough for people to see, but you really wanted to be more kind after you thought about it again and deliberately decided to 'cross out' (what Brit's call 'strikethrough') the original. I think it gives the writer a way of denying that they meant any real harm.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

J.J.B. wrote:It's probably used most for smart-arse comedic effect.

:laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Well there is something strange going on I think...

This post, for example:

http://huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29667

Looks perfectly normal in Firefox on a computer but on Tapatalk/Android, the post is completely strikethrough text.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It looks fine on my Android, but I can't use Tapatalk.

Any Tapatalk users out there having the same problem?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

yep. ever since the upgrade some posts are in strike through. i just assumed some people were using a particular font not in the android library and for some reason it got replaced with a strike through font. didn't try looking in android browser to see if it's the same.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

OK, just checked in android browser and text looks normal. Second post in selling land thread is strike though in tapatalk but not in browser.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Sv: What is the Meaning of Strikethrough text

Post by Ralfredo »

Test from Tapatalk on Android to see if I get normal text or not.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've reported the problem to Admin, but resolution may be slow - not sure what the clever guys are doing for Songkran. Most of Thailand has stopped for a few days, so please be patient.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote:I've reported the problem to Admin, but resolution may be slow - not sure what the clever guys are doing for Songkran. Most of Thailand has stopped for a few days, so please be patient.
Absolutely not a big problem. Enjoy Songkran everyone and good luck staying dry... :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

Seems to be a Tapatalk issue, hopefully they'll fix it with the next upgrade. It was only on two of the posts in ten or so of the threads I've just read.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Tapatalk