HHForum - the longer you're a member the less you post?

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

HHForum - the longer you're a member the less you post?

Post by dtaai-maai »

Just curious whether anyone feels the same way I do.

Going back to my 'newbie' days, I got stuck into anything that tickled my fancy with a vengeance, and if I thought someone was posting crap, I'd say so in no uncertain terms.

However, over the last couple of years I've increasingly found myself thinking "what's the point?" and just letting things slide. I can't be bothered to get involved. If someone makes what I consider, IMHO, to be a stupid remark, I assume that it should be obvious to everyone and doesn't really need to be pointed out.

There's still the occasional exception, and there probably always will be, such is my nature, particularly after a large sang som, but by and large I stick to the non-controversial stuff.

Has anyone else had the same experience?
This is the way
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: HHForum - the longer you're a member the less you post?

Post by PET »

dtaai-maai wrote:Just curious whether anyone feels the same way I do.

Going back to my 'newbie' days, I got stuck into anything that tickled my fancy with a vengeance, and if I thought someone was posting crap, I'd say so in no uncertain terms.

However, over the last couple of years I've increasingly found myself thinking "what's the point?" and just letting things slide. I can't be bothered to get involved. If someone makes what I consider, IMHO, to be a stupid remark, I assume that it should be obvious to everyone and doesn't really need to be pointed out.

There's still the occasional exception, and there probably always will be, such is my nature, particularly after a large sang som, but by and large I stick to the non-controversial stuff.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

I agree with you 100% after 8 years - I can't be bothered.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

For me as a long term member, the forum has now mellowed and is more of an information service as opposed to a discussion platform. Forums change as they grow and we (the punters) must never forget that the owner (s) of a forum are in the business of making money.

New people I've introduced it to (some register but most don't) like it because it provides up to date information about HH and the surrounds.

Jousting and controversy is not good for business. Full stop. All things must be rosy is now the theme :duck: :duck:

I use it a lot because I'm local. I know the owner, mods and a lot of the punters and like to keep abreast of views and news. I can however, take it or leave it. After all, they're are plenty of other sources of information in this 'information driven world'

After all it's only media :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:Jousting and controversy is not good for business. Full stop. All things must be rosy is now the theme :duck:
Quite the opposite actually, but you always get the PC brigade plus some of the jousters who complain when it gets too hot.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Even after only a few years on the forum I have stepped back. I normally, if not out of country, read the threads that interst me once a day.

After a few beers I may decide to post, which is probably not the best time to coordinate brain and fingers.

Why? Don't really know but guess it's simply familiar ground. Also, we have lost a few of the characters that would always push the right buttons that DEMANDED! A supportive or anti response.

Edited because I met my 2 beer quota and brain-finger connection failing :-)
Last edited by Bristolian on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Bristolian wrote:Also, we have lost a few of the characters that would always push the right buttons that DEMANDED! A response either in response or otherwise.
Too true and I wonder why?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ not really a question but somehow sad that you agree
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I still say what I think sometimes but yeah...agree with OP mostly, can't be arsed. Thing is though, the Internet as a whole is full of trolls, mischief makers and generally those that belong in a mental hospital that somehow have evaded the 'men in white coats', plus it's slowly getting worse all the time.

However, the forum has changed a lot in the last 3 years.

Furthermore, can't be arsed repetitively giving the same answers to noob expats that could find it out with an ounce of effort using the search function, jaded I guess I am with forums.....not to mention the apologists that seem to just want to troll because they have a set of these that they wear everyday........
Attachments
Rose tinted glasses.jpg
Rose tinted glasses.jpg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Agree with you DM, but in my case it's probably because I don't live in the area any more. Quite honestly, the longer a forum runs the more the basics (i.e. living in the area, etc.) are covered, and there's a limit to new topics that might interest everyone.

It's still a great site compared with other Thai expat websites, and I do pop in once a day (even if I don't join in with 'conversations').

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Well too new to the Forum to be jaded hopefully. So what's good about the Forum---- primarily the help and advice one gets, I personally find it invaluable at times. Information regarding the cinema,football, restaurants and recently where to find somewhere to repair a tyre. The lounge has introduced me to some excellent books that I probably would not have got round to reading eg The Martian,Red Gambit,Shamraman etc. maybe there's not enough controversial debate, what's happened to Mr Plum?

Another great service the Forum provides for people such as myself who do not live here full time is that it helps us keep in touch and encourages us that We will be back soon.

Well what's bad about the Forum, not much but do we need to know that someone does not like to go shopping ? But that's nit picking.

Let's not be too self critical ! Would we miss it if it disappeared ? You bet we would.

And since its Oscar week I would like to nominate H H Farang for a lifetime achievement award. His posts are always worth a read,he readily shares his long experience of Thailand and is one of life's interesting characters.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I agree about HHFarang there.

I believe HHFarang already won a thread about the most popular poster some time ago (or maybe it was Sandman and HHF came 2nd). What prize did he get...

... not sure. Maybe a HHAD t-shirt. :oops:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

GLCQuantum wrote:I agree about HHFarang there.

I believe HHFarang already won a thread about the most popular poster some time ago (or maybe it was Sandman and HHF came 2nd). What prize did he get...

... not sure. Maybe a HHAD t-shirt. :oops:

Some good points here, and I would say we are now really the old school members on this great forum.
Things I would also add to this is in everyone's lives everywhere things change for example some old respected members have passed away, some members relationships have broken down, some have left Thailand for financial reasons, and some, we'll thought they were living the dream and fell out of love with Thailand.

Personal sercumstances where ever you are in the world will effect the forum and peoples ability to visit we have had a double dip recession here in the UK, and now the Russian economy is taking a bashing.

We have also over the years said good bye to some members on here that has used our forum for their own agendas for example that extra bit of self promotion for their business, conspiracy theories, Middle East political ideologies, self proclaimed medical experts and jousting, trolling for there own amusement without really adding any value to The Hua Hin Forum that's relevent to Hua Hin.

There's many variables here but the forum is growing year on year and that's damn good when tourism in Thailand has taken a big hit over the last couple of years. :thumb:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

I have been a member since 2011. I have not moved to Hua Hin full time yet. Spend 4-5 months a year here. What I find interesting is when I am away from Hua Hin, I am on the Forum website daily. But when I come to Hua Hin, I use it much less frequently. Maybe once every few weeks. I do use it to look up restaurant news or other things of interest I know have been commented on. I guess I use it to stay in touch with Hua Hin while away. So less of a need when I am here. Do others share this same experience?
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I agree with you, SunandFun, as I need to get my daily fix of what's going on in Hua Hin when I'm away, especially as I manage no more than 4-5 weeks a year in a place I'm invested in. The forum is a good place to follow the local news and trends and I, too, am flabbergasted by people who ask questions without being able to use the 'search' function. I enjoyed the forum meet-up to celebrate 10 years but mainly because I was able to meet some of the people behind the avatars and certainly those who didn't feel the need to hide online.

Many posters, probably without knowing it, are a constant source of support, entertainment, information, advice, education and experience of what is still a big adventure. People come and go, as they always do, but on the whole it's an interaction I really value.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I also get quite irritated by seeing the same old questions asked time after time by those who can't be arsed to spend a few moments searching the forum or using google.
Big Boy wrote:
richard wrote:Jousting and controversy is not good for business. Full stop. All things must be rosy is now the theme :duck:
Quite the opposite actually
Have to agree with BB on this - a decent debate is very good for forum business. It's when it goes over the top that it becomes a problem.

The forum is still a great source of reference and advice - perhaps more so than it used to be - but it's the personal interaction that I've always enjoyed and that seems to be losing its sparkle. The remaining controversial or confrontational figures on the forum (or at least what passes for controversial these days) tend to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and there's a growing tendency to stereotype nationalities (if I wanted that, I'd read Thai Visa).

I also see the same opinions, bluster and outrage reiterated time after time in different threads, slightly adapted to whichever situation has arisen. It's all a bit... well... tedious.

JJB mentioned entertainment - that's what I need!

This is the way