What system is in place regarding the privacy of PMs?

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

What system is in place regarding the privacy of PMs?

Post by GLCQuantum »

I know almost nothing about computers, android, programming, jellybean, jelly baby...

Just curious as to what stops the good folks here (that run this site) looking at members' PMs as and when they please? I just finished re-reading a pm and thought, "I would never have mentioned that on the open forum. I wonder what anti-spy programs are stopping Admin and mods from having a read of it themselves?"

And there came my question. How private does, 'Private Message', actually mean on forums - this is the only one I use so can't compare or judge anywhere else.

:cheers:
Last edited by GLCQuantum on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: What system is in place regarding the privacy of PMs?

Post by Lev »

The only way we can access individual's PMs is by changing their passwords and logging in as them.

This has never been done and would only happen under a court order.

We do however switch off the function for those that have been known to abuse it or freeloaders promoting their own businesses or properties to our members.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thanks for the sharp reply Lev. I've served a fair few years here ( :wink: ) and have never had any problems. Just curious is all.

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I remember a few years back, someone used my Facebook account and caused a bit of a mess. The first login after it happened, I was immediately informed that my account had been accessed from a never used location. That was kinda neat. Lot more personal info there though and, of course, quite a payload involved for Mr Z. Is this function difficult to do?, In the event you get a rogue, extremist moderator in the future that has managed to access the mother ship.

Some of my PMs contain bank details, passport stuff... details of arrest warrants out for me (joking).

Just hit me that, maybe I should be a little more careful.

Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

GLCQuantum wrote:In the event you get a rogue, extremist moderator in the future that has managed to access the mother ship.
All of our moderators are subject to polygraph tests, waterboarding, sleep depravity exercises, solitary confinement, and on one occasion keelhauling, before they are accepted for the position. This eliminates the possibility of a rogue slipping through the net.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Lev wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:In the event you get a rogue, extremist moderator in the future that has managed to access the mother ship.
All of our moderators are subject to polygraph tests, waterboarding, sleep depravity exercises, solitary confinement, and on one occasion keelhauling, before they are accepted for the position. This eliminates the possibility of a rogue slipping through the net.
:lach:

He does have a sense of humour after all. :D Over and out...

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

GLCQuantum wrote:He does have a sense of humour after all. :D Over and out...:cheers:
What makes you think he's joking! :D
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ask me nicely and I'll show you my scars :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Scars, cuts and beaten halfway to heaven, but we don't complain.
Too scary.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I have a scar it's where my itchy trigger finger used to be. :|
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

FWIW, I would never in a million years use a messaging system on a site like this and assume it was secure. That's not a slur on the integrity of the admin and moderators, but the people who wrote the code in the first place have (if they are any good) left back-doors in and, in my paranoid world, snoop around willy nilly.

Same applies to facebook, twitter, iMessage, whatsapp, line - whatever. Nothing is truly secure; if you send it over the internet, expect that it can be read by the public.
Last edited by pdm3547 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

All of our moderators are subject to polygraph tests, waterboarding, sleep depravity exercises, solitary confinement, and on one occasion keelhauling...

I must admit that I didn't know what keelhauling was so looked it up and got this... :shock:

The unsavory practice of surprising a sleeping partner by running the full length of a sweaty grundle across their nose/face.

"After a five hour bike ride, Neil couldn't wait to get home, get out of his spandex, and keelhaul his girlfriend".

Wow! You guys get up to all sorts, don't you. Boys will be boys I suppose. :D
I then tried something other than the 'Urban Dictionary', and got the more common definition.

:offtopic:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Lev wrote:
So they are married?? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.