Shocking personal attacks and no mods on this forum?

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Shocking personal attacks and no mods on this forum?

Post by JamesWest »

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I wanted to make positive contributions. Very recently I took the time to respond to a tread about the "Cons of living in Hua Hin". I made list of issues that I thought would have been useful to the OP.

Right away I was personally attacked. Some really insulting stuff.

The mods did not delete the negative posts or comment about them in any way.

So what are the rules of engagement here?

Is this a wild west forum where you can just attack anybody you want and the mods do nothing?

If it is, I just want to know, because I am from the wild west…

and I want you to apology to my mule… like I know you are going to.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Re: Shocking personal attacks and no mods on this forum?

Post by HHCanuck »

LOL try even slightly criticizing the food of a sponsors restaurant then you will see mod action deleting your post 5.4.3.2.1. deleted
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

James, part of the problem is that no-one can determine what offends you.

You have to make it clear that you are offended (or whatever you feel).

To enable you do that, there is a little button on the right hand side of each post which is whitish with a red exclamation mark in it. It's not very prominent. Click that and you will be able to message the moderators explaining your feelings about any post.

The key thing to remember is that no-one here will be offended on your behalf.

Obviously if you've already done that then this information is of no use.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

James,

Moderators are never far away. Contrary to what HHCanuck says, we rarely edit posts.

As moderators we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. If something irritates you, and we have not considered it serious enough to take action, please report the offensive post using the little red exclamation mark. If we think the complaint is justified, we will take action, otherwise one of us will write to tell you why no action has been taken.

[Stepping out of Mod Mode for a minute] The post I think you're talking about was pretty depressing, and as soon as I saw it I had 2 thoughts i.e. 1. Should I pack my bags now? 2. This guy is seeking a reaction.

I can't speak for the other Mods, but my personal assessment was that you had set the bait, and members were taking it as you were hoping (maybe I am punch drunk seeing other members deliberately regularly playing the forum). I am sorry if my assessment was incorrect.

If I, or any of my colleagues mis-read the situation in future, please make us aware using the correct means indicated above.

Now welcome to the forum. Sorry you've had a baptism of fire, but please consider the likely reaction of other posters when making your own posts.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I have to say I didn't see it as bait at all. If the OP had asked for a list of Pros, I'm sure JamesWest would have been equally happy to oblige. And I thought the accusation of trolling was bizarre.

Having said that, JW, you may need to develop a slightly thicker skin to remain sane! :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
Scotian2012
Professional
Professional

Post by Scotian2012 »

Agree with OP. I'm still waiting on Mod response to a threat made by PM and abuse via PM. Mods posted that i broke rules on sharing a PM, but no condemnation of personal abuse made by other poster.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

In my opinion there was nothing wrong with JW's original post, but he needs to develop a thicker skin for sure.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. - Robert J. Hanlon

or on the other hand

Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by malice.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

James, don't take things to heart. Very often things are said in jest, no harm meant I am sure. I suppose when you are asked about the "cons" of living anywhere, the residents can be defensive about comments, even if true :duck:
We all try to live in a place, wherever that may be, we think it is "paradise" only to find that is has flaws. I think if the question were asked "what are the pro's" there would be a balance of likes and dislikes.

Is there a perfect paradise place to move and live? Interesting :? ? My answer is no, there is not.

Anyway, back to topic...the mods are quite fair on the whole IMO :) I nearly left the forum once by being wrongly accused of promoting something. I was very upset at the time as I was innocent. I thought my treatment was unjust.
buksida

Post by buksida »

As BB said, if we edit or lock a topic we're accused of being big bad censors, stifling freedom of speech, and depriving netizens of the right to publically damage someones business or character from behind an anonymous pseudonym.

If we let it run we get accused of doing nothing, not caring, or taking sides with one or other party, usually of opposing view to the one that complained.

The truth is that neither are true and you just cant win no matter what you do. I will go on to say though that those that post provocative comments should expect a lively reaction - not everyone will share your opinion.

Note: those that really take umbrage with the way we manage this board should contact Admin directly via www.huahinmedia.com. Not sure how long he will let this discussion run for.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The rule should be 'parliametarary' you can attack the content of the post, but not attack the poster.
You can say that that is a dumb thought, but not that the poster is dumb.
A wonderful saying by Sam Rayyborne, one time speaker of the House in the US Congress
'We can disagree, without being disagreeable'
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Thread locked in compliance with HHF T&Cs.
Discussions about moderator or Administrator actions are welcome in email or local private messages, but should not be discussed in public forums. This is out of respect for the members and moderators or policy involved.