A 'Like' feature for posts

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

A 'Like' feature for posts

Post by GLCQuantum »

There have been quite a few times that I've wanted to post in agreement to posts but can't be bothered to start a new post (with a +1) so just scrap it. Many other websites/forums now (not forgetting the unmentionable, bottom dweller filled other site... still haven't found the need to mix with some of the undesirables there, but I do read it from time to time) have adopted this format.

Sometimes, when you see a new post on a thread that interests you, you eagerly go to read it only to be disappointed by a '+1' post.

Also, it can be nice to see if anyone is in agreement with your post but doesn't have anything else to add or just can't be arsed to post right now.

A simple 'like' feature can let posters know that said person either enjoyed reading or agreed with your post...

... or that, 'You're on your own there, mate'.

I'm sure that there are many readers who don't post but would be happy to 'like' some posts be them informative, well written or thought provoking posts.

It's nice to give a pat on the back to someone who added something (and even nicer of course when that someone is yourself - rare for me mind)

Any chance? Not that important really... just a feature. I've no idea if it's hard to implement.

:cheers:
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Re: A 'Like' feature for posts

Post by traveller2 »

GLCQuantum wrote:There have been quite a few times that I've wanted to post in agreement to posts but can't be bothered to start a new post (with a +1) so just scrap it. Many other websites/forums now (not forgetting the unmentionable, bottom dweller filled other site... still haven't found the need to mix with some of the undesirables there, but I do read it from time to time) have adopted this format.

Sometimes, when you see a new post on a thread that interests you, you eagerly go to read it only to be disappointed by a '+1' post.

Also, it can be nice to see if anyone is in agreement with your post but doesn't have anything else to add or just can't be arsed to post right now.

A simple 'like' feature can let posters know that said person either enjoyed reading or agreed with your post...

... or that, 'You're on your own there, mate'.

I'm sure that there are many readers who don't post but would be happy to 'like' some posts be them informative, well written or thought provoking posts.

It's nice to give a pat on the back to someone who added something (and even nicer of course when that someone is yourself - rare for me mind)

Any chance? Not that important really... just a feature. I've no idea if it's hard to implement.

:cheers:
+1 :wink:

T2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote: A simple 'like' feature can let posters know that said person either enjoyed reading or agreed with your post...

Seems to me the main reason you'd want such a feature is to see whether others like your posts. Presumably, where there's a thumbs up, there's also a thumbs down. Be careful what you wish for!

What this feature doesn't do is explain why someone likes or dislikes a post. I know that requires the huge effort of typing a few words, but I think there are enough shortcuts already.

If it were up to me, I'd make the use of capital letters and punctuation compulsory! :laugh: ... m8s...
Last edited by dtaai-maai on Sun May 11, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Most sites that include a "like" feature don't also have a "dislike". There are some that have upvote and downvote but they normally feature on comments for news articles rather than posts on forums.

I don't like them, personally. They're better than a load of posts that just say "+1" or "I agree", but then again I think those type of posts should be banned too - if you want to post to say you agree with something then add some elaboration to go with it; otherwise all you're adding is noise.