Mods' user IDs

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Mods' user IDs

Post by dtaai-maai »

I was just musing during a moment's relaxation on what a wonderful job our splendid team of moderators do and thinking that I could never be up to the task myself. A tad too much attitude and not enough, erm, moderation, for the post. More to the point, in the extremely unlikely event that I was asked to be a Mod and in the even less likely event that I said yes, I'd have to change my whole style of posting.

Which led me to wonder if our exemplary Moderateurs par excellence were really sitting at their keyboards getting more and more frustrated at being unable to say what they really felt in the style they really wanted to say it, or if they were naturally, erm, non-confrontational.

Which further led me to wonder whether it would be a good idea for future Mods to be receive a Mod user ID, much like the Grim Reaper, without all and sundry knowing their usual user name.
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Mods' user IDs

Post by Pleng »

Sounds a little cloak and dagger to me. Could also lead to people getting suspicious and conspiracy theories aplenty.

At the end of the day, the mods took the role for a reason, and I'm sure they were well aware of the impact it may have on what they can and cant say, and how they can act. They obviously felt that they were prepared to do that.
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

Interesting proposal. Maybe a single ID regardless of who is moderating at the time. Rather than 'Big Boy' or whomever, moderating would simply be done by 'Moderator', or if that's too hard to add to the code, Moderator1, Moderator2, etc. It would both prevent resentment against individuals and give the mods additional freedom to post as they wish.

(Edited to respond to Pleng) I used to visit a large, very well moderated political website where no one ever knew who was moderating. Political websites get FAR more contentious than HHAD, even in Current Affairs. The moderators would only be anonymous to users, not to the webmaster, and if they are found to be unfair, could be replaced. If users don't like the moderation, they WILL complain to the management - it's happened in the past, sometimes publicly.
"We're all living proof nothing lasts" - Jay Farrar
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

All the moderators used to post a lot more than they do now and are a humorous bunch when 'on form'.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

If ever I was in that position I would have no problem with being Kendo, everyone is entitled to there opinion as long as your not rude or aggressive and if some one needs a prompt on say the TC'S then so be it.
I would put my name to everything I write on this forum nothing to hide.

I think we all have an interest in keeping this forum tip top and a plesent place to be :D

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Just as thought, but admin could appoint a mod that doesn't live in HH to pick up the difficult stuff as most that have been with the forum for a while know full well why the current mods don't 'yap-on' too much these days, and could do the stuff none of the other mods want to say due to compromising something.

Grim Reaper works but doesn't carry the respect of a known poster.

I'm not suggesting myself for a minute as I might be considered too loose by some/many sections but people like me couldn't care less what anyone says (and frequently prove it :oops: ) as few will ever meet me/others fitting the description, but there could be a poll instigated by admin of who the readers think would fit the bill best of those that don't live in HH with a reasonable amount of posts and rep to pick up the difficult stuff (democracy in action) at the whim of admin or other present mods.

It's rather like BB does the night shift but that won't be so forever. If they move to live here in HH then instigate a change so you have a mod that doesn't live in HH.

My apologies if I'm speaking out-of-line admin but just a suggestion. :bow:

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Spitfire wrote:It's rather like BB does the night shift but that won't be so forever.
Not since last Monday :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

dtaai-maai wrote:I was just musing during a moment's relaxation on what a wonderful job our splendid team of moderators do
:thumb: :cheers:
. . . and thinking that I could never be up to the task myself. A tad too much attitude and not enough, erm, moderation, for the post. More to the point, in the extremely unlikely event that I was asked to be a Mod and in the even less likely event that I said yes, I'd have to change my whole style of posting.
Thank god for that, me, Arcadian & BG (could you suspend another mod :idea: ) can sleep easier at night without the worry of imposed restrictions, suspensions & bans :( :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

There are occasions though when a mod engages & comes out with a ridiculous comment :roll:

Big Boy wrote:"Green Army

Welcome to the forum. It's always good to have another supporter of a real football team on here
:laugh: :laugh:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

redzonerocker wrote:There are occasions though when a mod engages & comes out with a ridiculous comment :roll:

Rumour has it that they are human and do live on this planet but I believe it's hearsay :naughty:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Hey, not sucking up, but I've personally met at least 4 of the past and present forum moderators and I think they are moderators because of their moderate opinions and judgments. I haven't met one yet that I don't like.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

hhfarang wrote:Hey, not sucking up, but I haven't met one yet that I don't like.
What about me? :D
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy wrote:
Spitfire wrote:It's rather like BB does the night shift but that won't be so forever.
Not since last Monday :D

I take it you had no problems getting you son on the flight? Welcome BB - I know you've been looking forward to this moment for a long time.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I don't believe I've met you Norseman, nor Big Boy, unless it was at the fishing lodge get together. If so, my apologies for not remembering but I met a lot of new folks that day.

I've always wondered if Lev is a real person or just a forum persona like the Grim Reaper. I've never heard anyone talk about actually meeting him.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?