Members Lounge

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Members Lounge

Post by Spitfire »

Ok, just a thought, and some might not like this but would just like some thoughts regarding this as I'm sure it's been considered at some time or another. How about a section that is for members with 500 or 1000 or posts with the approval of Admin to discuss pretty much almost anything? It would still have to be very loosely moderated but it might be good for many reasons, such as it could be a place for you (Admin) to send threads that you don't want to lock but are too controversial to leave on the open forum, or garner serious opinion from the people that contribute the most. It might also help keep the trolling away and encourage people to post more and join that forum. I am aware that some will not like it but the reason I ask is because most other forums do something like it, such as it doesn't appear on the index page until you have enough posts or have been approve etc and the only when you're signed in. Really, I'm just inerested in what everyone's thoughts are, good or bad, just something to push around the table. I'm sure there might be a good reason as HHAD is different but just interested in comprehension but know that Admin is always tollerant of serious suggestion or comment. Cheers.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Members Lounge

Post by VincentD »

Something similar was tried when the board membership was smaller and a lot less active. I think it was mainly the locally based long-stay members who were included. Didn't last long for some reason, and I doubt if it will be resurrected. :|
วินเชนท์
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

OK. The basic issues that I see:

1) It is eliteist - me and my long term muckers - and can be handled another way
2) There's plenty of people with 1000 posts who have (really!) nothing to say
3) (related-) Informed comment isn't a function of volume posting.
4) There are areas (night crawlers) where this is done for specific issues so why not just create user subscription forums in general for a wider range of topics.
5) Private Messaging covers most of this either way.
6) And so on and so forth.

Purely as opinion, if you take the forum down that route, it is better to have individual forum access than to create some kind of (ultimately self serving) elite. Private bulletin boards would seem to me to be the way to go in that case.

Who were you proposing to invite. I assume you qualify already. To assume other wise would be, well--------

JMHO.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

As with all suggestions we'll discuss it with the moderators and proceed if we feel it is beneficial to the board.

Thanks for your input.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Sound a bit ruffled there Korky, did say some wouldn't like it. Venomous in the mornings, aren't you?
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Maybe something like that is already going on in the secret dungeons of HHAD but they did not invite you yet Khun Spitfire!

Indeed many forums have it, but it does in general not really add anything positive and many take it off after a while. It can also be confusing when members refer to threads in the limited access section on the open forum. Happens all the time. Or members will not post on the open forum thread about let's say the situation in Bangkok because they do that in the VIP section already. So open forum members miss out on a lot of good information and entertainment.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Ha ha, yeah Mr Roel, maybe the property illuminati are starting a fun thread about it now in the secret forum. Crossed my mind as there's a quite a few topic subjects that we are unable to disscuss due to 'who might be watching/lurking'. As I mentioned, just a thought. Very few suggestions make it to the imposition stage anyhow, but good to disscuss it, even if the replies are 'lively'. Cheers