Calling the Dog Lady!

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Calling the Dog Lady!

Post by KelpieKiss »

Dawn, I think you're 'the dog lady' (No offense intended) and that you sometimes do rescues.

If this is the case then I just saw a dog in desperate need of one. I've seen it now the past fews days hanging around on the crossroads of the nightmarket. The crossroads with the two 7/11's, Siam Bank and Day and Night massage.

This dog is in a very bad way and either needs to be treated or shot :guns:

Hope you can do something for it as I hate having to look at the poor thing.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

We're not rescuing anymore (as in taking dogs into the center). Space, time & money are not allowing that. I will have a look down there & see if I can find it & at least take it to the vet, though & get a diagnosis/prognosis. What does it look like? Colour, size, male/female, what's wrong with it? And what time of day do you usually see it?
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Post by KelpieKiss »

It's a fairly small dog with almost no hair. Think it has mange or something.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I think I know the dog K is talking about. We were in Hua Hin a few days ago and I saw a pathetic looking dog around about that area. Not such a small dog, I would say medium Thai size, but with terrible mange and he/she (didn't check sex) was standing quietly by the pavement at about 3.30pm (before all the stalls had set up for the night).

Apart from the lack of hair, he/she's not too skinny. Maybe a jab would sort him/her out. Certainly saveable, in my (limited and unqualified) opinion.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Dogs are dogs. Mans best friend and I've spent 62 years having a mans best friend around

But the Facts

They are pets

or strays

or are in the noodle pot

Wise up guys and gals

In KK I ate my ladies pet dog when it went berserk and was quietly dealt with in true Thai fashion

Very tasty stew but rat is tastier
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Yeh, Richard.

When I went on holiday to Australia I wrestled with a crocodile, and won (obviously).

VS

PS: If you have an irritating complaint, like itchy skin (which can make you feel lousy), and if someone can help you with that - and make you feel better, that's quite nice. You're still wandering the streets - that's OK, but you feel and look so much better.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

VS

How big was the croc?

Tastes like chicken ok?

Missed the gist of your ps

:cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Richard,

It was bigger than me, and it did taste just like chicken. :wink:

OK, the gist of my PS was that if someone (like Dawn) can make the little stray feel a smidgeon better, than that's great. I know you're from Yorkshire, and I know that you pride yourself on calling a spade a spade, or a stray a stray. But that doesn't mean that a stray should be ignored, if someone's willing and/or able to help it when it has a problem then that's great. That's all. :|

VS
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

gotcha :cheers: :cheers: and there is no one who loves dogs more than me

I just get a little bit frustrated when we farangs try to help and Thais don't give a shit. Therefore I think it's a lost cause

I've seen a dog die after a litter of 7 and heard it's cries all night because it's legs had failed. This was up north east of Khon Khaen and they refused to put it out of it's misery

Made me cry but I could not intervene

Get's my goat when they say it could be a reborn relative and in the next minute take it out into the bush and hack it to death.Been there and seen the movie

TIT :thumb: We have to live with it

cheers
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I'm sure this is not going to win me any fans, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Firstly, I have no responsibility or obligation to the sick street dogs that people see. We are a tiny, underfunded org. Even when we were a rescue org (which we are not now), what we could do was very limited by the funds, manpower & space available. Now, my responsibility & obligation is to the dogs currently in our care and the CNR project (neutering) & the temple I deal with. If I can help over & above that, I will, but I won't stand on a street corner all day looking for a street dog with mange (there are thousands). I asked specific questions to help me narrow the search & limit the time I waste looking for the dog, Kelpie Kiss. I only have those specifics because of Vital Spark. You didn't even tell me what time you'd seen the dog.

Richard, I'm well aware of your views. You have told me them on many occasions. I'm not sure what you thought was gained by adding to this thread. Belittling me? Or just the pure pleasure of pontificating, yet again?

Well, seeing as you did add to it, I'm sure you won't mind me disagreeing with some of what you've said.
there is no one who loves dogs more than me
Really? I would disagree. I know many, many people that I would say love dogs more than you, but let's use your own words, shall we?
In KK I ate my ladies pet dog when it went berserk and was quietly dealt with in true Thai fashion

Very tasty stew
Hands up all dog lovers that would eat a pet of your own or your partner's? And brag about it?

BTW, did it not occur to you that if it went berserk, it could have been sick in some way, or poisoned? Good idea to eat it, then? :roll:

The reason there are so many strays is because of people. Irresponsible owners & irresponsible breeders, so I'm not sure of your point with this?
But the Facts

They are pets

or strays

or are in the noodle pot

Moving on...
I just get a little bit frustrated when we farangs try to help and Thais don't give a shit
They don't? Oh, OK. The lady that runs DogChance (the free neutering clinic) is Thai. Her staff & volunteers are Thai. My staff are Thai. My vet (Thai) neuters & treats street dogs for free. A thai lady contacted me a few months ago wanting to help dogs in her local temple. She & her Thai friend drive me up there every week & help out while I vaccinate, treat wounds & they help me bring in the dogs for neutering. This Thai lady & her husband phoned around dog food companies to try & get cheap food for us & they rented a pick-up (their own money) & drove up to BKK to collect a hundred boxes of free dog snacks that a company (Thai) was willing to donate. The temple that I help out at is (obviously) a Thai Buddhist one. The monks there are so concerned with the health of their dogs that (after a brief trial period to make sure I wasn't pulling a fast one or going to give up), they have paid for all of the meds, vaccines, syringes, needles, dressings, food etc I have used or brought for their dogs.
That's just a few, Richard. It makes me really angry to hear rubbish like that. You shouldn't judge all Thais by the ones you know, Richard, nor should you judge all Thailand by Isaan.

Rant over. Thanks for the info, VS.
I'll try to find the dog in the next few days & give it an anti parasite vaccine. If it's easy enough to locate & catch I'll keep going back weekly until it's had the course of vaccines needed.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

dogs

Post by lindosfan1 »

Dawn
Well said I totally agree I have a dog he is not let out to roam the streets. The problem is not the dogs but irresponsible owners.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thanks for the rant Dawn

I was merely trying to explain my experiences both in Isaan and HH

Sorry I touch a nerve
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

My view is, and it's only my view, that if you see a dog that needs help and you want to help, that's exactly what you do.

Not fire off an e-mail for someone else to help.

I note that HHDRC has said before that they reluctantly cannot help in future, but on reading the post Dawn is doing what she can to help anyway.

Hats off to you Dawn.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Dawn, I agree with what you said 100%.
(buffalo) Bill
Banned
Banned

Post by (buffalo) Bill »

My wife is an animal lover and has telephoned Dawn on numerous occasions for advice and help, Dawn has always come to the rescue. Off her own back and funds. I?m not asking for 3 cheers for Dawn although she deserves them, but I will disagree with her in a small way also.
As said before, I, also don?t think Thai people care so much about the animals that are roaming around the streets. I?ve seen on many occasions the same dog in the same area gradually dying and I?m talking over the course of a 2-3 week period. It has been you, Dawn, that has rescued them (I was there a few times) with Thai people looking on at you as if you are mad, granted we are not all the same, but there are a lot more Thai people here in sunny Hua Hin. A very high percentage owning dogs, so surly there wouldn?t be so many dog left in a deplorable condition or being dropped off at the temple if they cared more.
I have never in my 12 years of living here seen one Thai person help an unfortunate animal, Vets and Monks excluded. But, and here it is again the old BUT word. I have seen them nock dogs down in there cars and not stop until they?re well out of the way, only then to stop to see what damage has been done to the car. I have also noticed that when there?s been a litter of pup?s or kittens bourn along the side of the road they only take the dogs always leaving the bitches and taking the perfect one colored female kittens for breeding (a fact, I?ve asked). We?ve had two cats that lived in our house stolen, the reason for being pinched there tails were not bent and were very pretty one colored types.
As you said Dawn. Rant over, be it only a small one.
Keep up the good work.
If anybody wants to show some support for the doggie lady (Dawn @Head Rock Dogs) www.headrockdogs.org they can show support by coming along to The Buffalo Tavern on Friday 7pm for the first Pub quiz at YOBT. (Free parking in the fishing pier car park please don?t park in Sangthai sea food opposite, only, we?re not good friends)
There are good prizes to be won, also and auction.
Prizes donated by;
Putahracsa Resort and Spa???. (Half way up Nebkehart Rd on the left) Thanks Richard.
HALEX .Beer and wine??? (Near the Hua Hin Grand, on Petchkasem. Thanks Hans.
Wine Connection?????? (Don?t know where they are but will have address Friday) Thanks Raphael.
Last but by no means least, a choice of two fantastic Prizes was greatly donated for auction by Siam Old Teak. Thanks you Mark and Yaa. (Driving west on Chomsin Rd (Pa La U Rd) look out for the brown and yellow signs for Old Siam Teak, 3-4 kilometers on the left over the top of the hill).
Ohh! there?s a great free buffet for contestants to.