Visa Runs , Ranong or Chumphon for visit

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
peter-pan
Amateur
Amateur

Visa Runs , Ranong or Chumphon for visit

Post by peter-pan »

Hello There.

I notice some people do visa runs to the subject places. I do Not need
to renew my visa but was wondering if the places are worth going to
for an overnight stay.
Also, can I cross the border at any or both places to visit Burma for a
couple of days, and is this worth doing ? would there be any restrictions
on my travel, or is it too much hastle ?

I hope to come to HH in a couple of weeks and would like to see more
places of interest.

Thanks in advance PP

PS someone mentioned about a Burns night in Cha Am (I think) would you need any small items, like shortbread, a neep etc. let me know
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Actually, Ranong is the place to do the visa run over to Burma. Chumphon is just "on the way". I've stayed in both places and find Chumphon better. There seems precious little to do in Ranong, although I may just have not found the right places.
On payment of your 10 USD in Burma, you'll be stamped in for 14 days. However, if you stay in the town Imm keep your passport - you get a receipt. This is to restrict your travel there. I believe you're not allowed more than a couple of kms out of the town. Again, I've not stayed there overnight and really have no intention to. You'll be hounded everywhere you go by kids and other hawkers. I can't image it's great fun.
Chumphon has some decent watering holes and accommodation is very reasonable. I always stay at The Chumphon Palace Hotel which is in the centre of town and 450B a night for aircon room, hot water shower, telly, mini bar etc. The Farang Bar is a good place to hang out with other travelers , most of whom are coming or going to Koh Tao.
There are decent beaches, I believe. Others may be able to give you more information.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Which type of Thai visa do you have? If you cross to "Burma" you are leaving Thailand and may not get back in!!! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

We spent a night in the Chumphon area (Sarai beach). Beautiful beach areas. I had not eaten Farang food for a while, and was in need of a large piece of cooked beef. Papa 2000 restaurant filled the desire at a good price.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Nereus wrote:Which type of Thai visa do you have? If you cross to "Burma" you are leaving Thailand and may not get back in!!! :cheers:
Good point. If the OP is on a 30 day visa exemption stamp, there will not be any problem getting back into Thailand for the same stamp again as long as he won't have stayed here for more than 90 days (with the extra 30 he can get) in a six month period beginning with the first entry.
If 90 days have already been used, Ranong Imm won't stamp him out as they can't let him back in. There's also nowhere to get a proper visa on the Burmese side - no Thai Embassy or consulate. I bumped into a traveler a while ago who was in just that position, having to lay low in a guesthouse until she could get a flight home. In the meantime she was accruing overstay.
If the OP is on a single entry tourist or Non Immigrant visa, the visa will be invalidated if he leaves Thailand, unless a re-entry permit is obtained beforehand.
peter-pan
Amateur
Amateur

post subject

Post by peter-pan »

Hi again,

I have a Brit passport and :

I am only comming to HH on a tourist trip and hope to stay in Thailand
for about 10 days, just thought I could see other 'lands' thanks for your
input, the place Chumphon looks like a good deal, any night life as such ?
and can I travel there by bus or train or is taxi a better bet ?

Thanks again PP
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

IMHO Ranong is a dump. Mosquitoes galore and from what I've heard Malaria is in this area. In and out as quick as possible is my advice.
lomuamart

Re: post subject

Post by lomuamart »

peter-pan wrote:Hi again,

I have a Brit passport and :

I am only comming to HH on a tourist trip and hope to stay in Thailand
for about 10 days, just thought I could see other 'lands' thanks for your
input, the place Chumphon looks like a good deal, any night life as such ?
and can I travel there by bus or train or is taxi a better bet ?

Thanks again PP
OK, you're post has cleared the situation up. You'll be fine. I would suggest Chumphon for a few days. There is nightlife there and I think one nightclub is called "Papas" or something like that. I was there once and it was brilliant. Two floors of dancing and a good atmosphere. Ask anyone in Chumphon where it is. I've maybe got the name wrong, but everyone knows it.
As far as getting there is concerned, it depends on when you want to arrive. There are regular buses and trains that will take about 4-5 hours from HH. Cost about 200 Baht. Taxis are quicker, but more expensive. I've got no idea of their cost but I'd guess 1,500+. That would take 3 hours or so. The train is great fun. Get one about 5pm and you'll arrive in Chumphon about 9pm after a good few beers in the restaurant car.
Alternatively see this:
http://www.tourismhuahin.com/trains-huahin.php
http://www.tourismhuahin.com/busses-huahin.php
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

JimmyGreaves wrote:IMHO Ranong is a dump. Mosquitoes galore and from what I've heard Malaria is in this area. In and out as quick as possible is my advice.
Over the years, I've the fortune to stay overnight in Ranong on a few occasions. I've always chosen the "ACR Hotel". For that read Asia, but that's how they pronunce the name there. It's in the middle of town, with all mod cons and only costs 350B a night - something like that.
You're guaranteed a warm welcome from the owner as he takes your bags to the room. "Do you want a Burmese girl?"
Outside the hotel, there's a nightmarket with good food and some shops and internet cafes. I've even gone far enough to ask a motorbike taxi where all the action is. I was taken to a huge air con karaoke bar and got totally ripped off at 8pm.
Mind you, the hot springs are very nice. Good restaurants and resting. That's about all I've got to say about Ranong over the numerous times I've spent a night there over the past 10 years.