Hua Hin Forum meet-up 10th March 2012

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin Forum meet-up 10th March 2012

Post by Big Boy »

:agree: and well said. Personally, I hope last week's meeting is the last that I miss.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Lung Per wrote:
prcscct wrote:Where you getting your potatoes JW, and where are they from? Check out Makro as over this side they have a large selection of imported spuds both from EU, Ireland and the USA. Much better than the Thai variety IMO. Pete :cheers:
FYI: Ireland is a member of the EU since 1973.
:roll:
Yes LP, I know. So sorry for not being totally PC. I was stressing Ireland as their potatoes are somewhat famous. To prove my point, I'll send you a case and please insert each and every one up your rectum until full. :idea: :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

Its great that you all had such a good time on saturday. :D

Richard and Norseman, I would have enjoyed coming and meeting you all, but unfortuately im stuck in the UK.
I do hope to be able to meet you all one day, but it is unlikely that it will be this year. :(

:cheers:

t2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

traveller2 wrote:Its great that you all had such a good time on saturday. :D
:agree:
Norseman wrote: On the forum we often use phrases like "people hiding behind the keyboard" when somebody say something we don't like or believe.
And when all of you are invited to a fun and friendly gathering most of you don't care to show up!
Why?
Are you guys so damn serious about life in general that you don't care to meet up with your brothers and sisters who really keeps this forum alive?
I don't care if you don't want to meet up with me or any other moderator, but when such distinctive Hua Hin Forum members like Kendo arrives in town AND INVITE you all to a friendly gathering, I honestly believe that you should be able to find the off-button on your TV and instead meet up with some real people (friends - brothers in arms or whatever).
Condescending nonsense.
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Nice to see a good time had by all, and pics to go with names :cheers:

Hope to make one in the future :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I reckon that next time we should go out on Barrys quiet boat - maybe a Saturday afternoon would be nice.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I attended the last "HHAD sanctioned" meet-up out at the fishing lodge in the daytime. It was fun and I did meet lots of new people as well as a few old friends that I hadn't seen in a while. That one was huge; must have been more than 50 people at any given time with people coming and going all day. I also attended one small impromptu meet-up at JWs in the past, but we got him to open at lunch time to do it. That's where I first met Richard, Huahinian, Buffalo Bill, and a few others.

This one was downtown in the evening and as I've said before, I don't go out much at night. I'm old enough that I have a bit of night blindness and add that to a few beers plus the fact that the police are much more active now at night with breathalyzers and such and it's just not worth the risk for me. And (being perfectly honest), there are a couple of forum members who usually attend these smaller gatherings that I would not care to be in the same room with... when you've lived here a while you can't help having a couple of people you feel that way about. A lot of the farang community here is after all a little bit :twisted: ... :wink:

Anyhow, glad you guys had fun. :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Sorry I missed this, but will definitely try to make the next one. Glad to hear you guys had a great time. :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

JW wrote:I reckon that next time we should go out on Barrys quiet boat - maybe a Saturday afternoon would be nice.

Only too happy to oblige - just let me know when:
Attachments
phpXQHpVoAM.jpg
phpXQHpVoAM.jpg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
php4VCUy6AM.jpg
php4VCUy6AM.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
phpwp6cXjAM.jpg
phpwp6cXjAM.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Hi Barry,

Do you have a [drunken or not] 'Man Overboard' policy? :mrgreen:

Just messing around man, sure safety is top-notch on a boat like that. :thumb:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

dtaai-maai wrote:
traveller2 wrote:Its great that you all had such a good time on saturday. :D
:agree:
Norseman wrote:
Condescending nonsense.
Good answer DM.
Much appreciated and memorized.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Norseman wrote:Good answer DM.
Much appreciated and memorized.
If you'd like a more detailed explanation of why your suggestion that the entire forum apart from the handful at the meet-up is either addicted to TV or worried about meeting Mods is condescending nonsense, you only have to ask. :cheers:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Personally, would love to attend one of these "meets" - unfortunately not being a resident of Hua Hin just yet stuffs me up a tad with timing. The Long Haired General and I always visit over the festive season.... the one time we can pretty much be assured of having a break, so would love to take the opportunity then to meet one and all if available....... Go on, let's have a "Cruise @ Christmas" with Barry!!

Have really enjoyed being a part of the forum - great information, some fun, some banter...... living and working in China (Chongqing) and working on projects away from home/family overseas or mainland can be difficult - it truly is great to be able to come onto a forum such as this where you feel you know a fair few people............ despite the fact I've not met any (well, with the exception of SJ and Terry)!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

hhfarang wrote:I attended the last "HHAD sanctioned" meet-up out at the fishing lodge in the daytime. It was fun and I did meet lots of new people as well as a few old friends that I hadn't seen in a while. That one was huge; must have been more than 50 people at any given time with people coming and going all day.
Yes, I was at that one, and I think there are a number of factors that affect whether or not people attend which go much further than the idea that members are a bunch of ungrateful gits too lazy to get off their arses.

1. How many active members are there? I'd say an active member is someone who has at least a quick look at the forum a couple of times a week and posts something from time to time - say once a week or once a fortnight. Is 40-50 a realistic figure? And of them, how many live in HH full time? 25-30? I'd say that's a fairly generous estimate. Which suggests that the impressive turn-out at Terry's is likely to be as good as it gets.

2. Why the difference? Almost certainly down to location. A bar crawl around Bintabaht requires a certain stamina that many of us have lost and some never had in the first place. :laugh: Limited appeal, especially for families.

3. What is the forum?
I can only speak personally on this, but I don't see it as a social club. I've been a member for nearly 5 years. I'm not sure how many 'gatherings of the clan' there have been, but I'd guess 3 or 4 - certainly no more than 1 a year.
Weren't there a couple of successful beach meet-ups a few years ago - why did they stop? Many members have kids.
I've met several forum members over the years and a few of those have become friends, but that's life - I certainly didn't join the forum to meet people. If I wanted to do that, I'd join the Hash and get some exercise into the bargain! :shock: :laugh:
I was involved in the first bookswaps with Dawn about 4+ years ago. Great idea, and it was quite successful in patches, but was teetering on the brink for quite some time before it stopped due to lack of interest. I've seen suggestions for clubs/groups relating to photography, drama, music, football and various other things, but I don't remember anything much coming of them.
I imagine most members have full lives with a healthy circle of friends and family, and a forum get-together would be something that might be fun if it fitted in with whatever was happening in your life at the time. With the best will in the world, to give it more significance than that would suggest to me that one's priorities needed attention.

4. My suggestion?
It depends what you want. If a member suggests meeting in a bar, don't expect dozens of people to turn up; just the usual suspects (oops :laugh: ). I'd go myself if I was in the mood, but I probably wouldn't commit to it in advance, and let's face it, Richard would jump naked off the fishing pier for a free plate of chips! :neener:

If you want a significant number of people, make it a "sanctioned" HH forum do and combine it with Christmas, New Year (pick one), Halloween or something. Terry's was perfect; nice spot, cheap, good grub. Make it too expensive and you'll narrow the attraction. Off the top of my head, what about a BBQ on the beach? What about a talent competition? Or a beauty show? Or a "Bad Taste" party? Or a simple colour theme, or bring your own jug of cocktail. Or some simple entertainment - a bit of Irish music from Paul et al (and I hear BarryS plays a mean tune).
Keep it cheap, make it fun and easily accessible for all the family.

The problem with all of the above suggestions is they need effort and organisation - and no, I'm not volunteering.

No offense intended to anyone, especially Kendo, who I'm sure I'll meet one day and enjoy a beer with; ditto Norseman - my cage was rattled by negative vibes that probably weren't really intended.

Mods - maybe start a new thread?
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

let's face it, Richard would jump naked off the fishing pier for a free plate of chips! :neener:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That settles it, I'm not coming to any gathering near a body of water... :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?