Swimming Pool Pump Error

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Swimming Pool Pump Error

Post by Pagey »

I am getting a 'Check Water Flow' error message on my swimming pool pump control panel. Any ideas anyone?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Swimming Pool Pump Error

Post by Bluesky »

You could probably start by checking that you are actually getting water flow.
Water flowing into skimmer, no leaves/toys in leaf basket. Check the pump to see if there water flowing through the strainer basket and it is not blocked. Check for bubbles If there is then you will need to determine what is causing it, possibly an air leak or blockage. Check filter is operating withing parameters (not in the red) otherwise may require backwash. Check salt chlorinator cell to see if it is level and that no air pockets, likewise that the surfaces of the cell are clean (if you have been using a lot of powdered chlorine (calcium hyperchlorite) it will deposit on the cell and cause issues relating to flow/chlorine production) Finally, water is flowing through all return jets into the pool. It would probably help to know what sort of pump/chlorinator/filter your running. These are just a few basics ideas that may help to identify the problem and provide a guide wher to start looking if you can't resolve it.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks for comprehensive reply Bluesky.

I know absolutely nothing about pool pumps and how they work, I leave everything to the cleaning team, they are really good, very happy with what they do, but they are cleaners and not engineers although the supervisor has sorted minor problems before.

The unit is a Surechlor 4000 installed in 54 but whether it was new at the time I don't know.

The system isn't working at all, no water is flowing. It is turned off but if I turn it on, the pump makes a lot of noise as though it is trying to pump water and a few bubbles appear in one of the glass tubes then the error message appears of 'Check Water Flow'.

Probably that info is not much more help.........

Man in pub circa 1987.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

The SureChlor 4000 was produced by Poolrite it is a self cleaning cell Poolrite went lumlalai (broke) a few years ago and no longer provide service in Thailand. However the company was reserected in Oz with spares and new components readily available there.GDL sell spares here with a substantial mark up. Poolrite bearings and seals are standard components and are available here. Have PM'd you.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

If the pump is makes a lot of noise but is not pumping water, sounds like your impeller could be stuck, maybe clogged.

With current to the pump definitely off (be careful), open the inspection chamber in the pump and try to reach the impeller (propellor-type thing) and turn it manually or feel if debris is stopping it.

Or Google 'clogged pool pump impeller'. :)
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks, 404cameljockey, once Bluesky saw what was happening he correctly identified it as being an electrical problem rather than the pump itself. There's only just over 100 volts going to the electric supply instead of the 240 or so required. Now I just need an electrician to replace the main circuit breaker switch.

Man in pub circa 1987.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

God job. I'm in awe of people who can open a circuit box, know what's what and test for errors. I own a multimeter but can only use it to check if AA batteries are dead. :)
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 am God job.
Yes, he's definitely a God ! :thumb: :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Oops! :)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pagey wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 am
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 am God job.
Yes, he's definitely a God ! :thumb: :cheers:
I sent an email to the Pope about this. He just replied: "Cazzate!" I have no idea what it means? :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pagey, did you get this sorted out?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Nereus wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:33 pm Pagey, did you get this sorted out?
Yes thanks, electrician (Bus from the other thread) came around 4pm, did a lot of testing, and came to the same conclusion as Bluesky that it was indeed the main breaker switch.

He went away to his shop and came back and replaced the main breaker switch and a couple of others that he said were a bit dodgy and may fail in the future. A reasonable price and a very nice chatty young man. :thumb:

Man in pub circa 1987.