Electric whirly bird roof vent

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
slimdawg
Rookie
Rookie

Electric whirly bird roof vent

Post by slimdawg »

Hello,

I'm seeking advice from others on getting some one to install a electric exhaust fan on my roof.

the said person would need to be good with tin snipping and I would hope be able to cut a hole in the tiles and install the fan without allowing water leakage.

Anyone know of someone they could recommend

Thanks in advance
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Electric whirly bird roof vent

Post by sateeb »

Most of the guys that install guttering are very adept at tin snipping.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
slimdawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slimdawg »

Thanks Sateeb

Any recommendations on good gutter installers? :)
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Personally no, but i'm sure our resident experts will update you. Good luck.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Far easier to prevent and fix leaks if it's on a wall instead of the roof.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

slimdawg wrote:Hello,

I'm seeking advice from others on getting some one to install a electric exhaust fan on my roof.

the said person would need to be good with tin snipping and I would hope be able to cut a hole in the tiles and install the fan without allowing water leakage.

Anyone know of someone they could recommend

Thanks in advance
I am assuming that the purpose of installing the whirlybird/exhaust fan is to reduce the temperature in the roofspace. If you are buying a purpose deigned roof ventilator most have available a 'flashing kit' to waterproof the installation. You may also consider the installation of vermin proof vents into the soffit (The covering material under the eaves) so that you create a working draught through the roof space to reduce the temperature. (Cooler air drawn into roof cavity from eaves vents, hot air expelled through whirlybird/exhaust fan.) I have attached a link that may be of interest.

The job is normally done by a roofing plumber. Depending where your located there is a a gutter installer/fabricator located on Soi 112 about 500 meters west of the roundabout on the lhs of the carriageway. I cannot provide any advice regarding the quality of his work but he is generally quite busy.

http://www.atco.co.th/product.htm
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The whirly bid ventilators are not electrically driven, there may be other options but I have not found one locally. I had planed to install one on my house roof as the upper floor gets damned hot. Preferably I was looking for a solar ventilator.
Another point to consider is the rotation bearing, I looked at many models and some have no bearings at all, just pressed metal spinning on pressed metal, the ATCO one states it has a superlene (nylon) bush so this may be better.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
slimdawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slimdawg »

Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps I used a poor choice of wording with " Whirly bird" as it is in fact a electric roof vent. It also does have flashing with it. And yes, I did purchase some eve vents to draw in lower air. I will use the electric roof vent installed at the top to disperse the hot air.

The instructions just require the flashing to be formed into the tiles and cut a center hole for where the hot air will draw in ( suction ). I just hope that the person that installs it does a good job and it wont leak and looks good. :)

Ill check out the guy on suggested.

Thanks
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm not sure they can cut a hole in the tiles used here for roofing without cracking/destroying them. The option may be to remove two side by side to create the hole needed. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
slimdawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slimdawg »

Here is the vent I am using:

Attachments
vent.jpg
vent.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
slimdawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slimdawg »

prcscct wrote:I'm not sure they can cut a hole in the tiles used here for roofing without cracking/destroying them. The option may be to remove two side by side to create the hole needed. Pete :cheers:
Good point
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi slimdawg,

Where did u find the vent? Interested to try one and see if it works well.

Cheers,

JW
slimdawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slimdawg »

JW

I had a friend send from Australia , He is only sent 1 fan, but I plan to install 3 total.

I can post results after it is installed if you want? I have a temp gun and curious to see how much one fan will remove the heat. its a bloody oven up there, so im sure it will help.
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

SCG offers a 'system' that incorporates an electric rooftop vent, but when I inquired they would not sell the vent fan as a separate item even though we were going to buy our tiles from them. The 'ballpark' quote I received for a 'system' including solar panel, controllers and such was 90,000 baht. The link I found just now is in Thai

http://www.scgbuildingmaterials.com/th/ ... ystem.aspx

The Australian one I found presents logistic problems for shipping to Thailand.
http://www.skydome.com.au/Electric-Powervent

Local sources here in California are all 110 V / 60 hz.

Would love to hear if there is an alternative that would work on a hip roof building.

Steve
slimdawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slimdawg »

Steve,

May I ask what the issue with logistics were? Was it Thai or Skydome issue ?

I do like the solar vents and seen a few online outside of Thailand. The one I purchased is German built motor and supposed to be fairly energy efficient. Guess ill see. I should be able to figure out how much consumption it uses.

It is kind of nice that the fan is also clear on top like a skylight, allowing natural lighting in the roof if needed. It also features 4 settings of H,M,L & Auto that kicks on above 30°C.